In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Foothillsfire woodyard growth

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by foothillsfire, Oct 10, 2022.

1. foothillsfire

foothillsfire

Copied from another thread:
    Been awhile, hope all are well.
    This being my first winter burning I have not been burning constantly, trying to stretch my dry wood (barely over 1/2 a cord) over the winter. Now that we're over halfway through I might have been to conservative, probably could have burned a bit more.
    What feels great is knowing I have almost 2 cords stacked and drying for next year so I can burn to my heart's content. This spring hopefully I'll get up to a 3 year stack.

I was out with my father-in-law picking up some crabapple wood blown down nearby. Just under a 5' bed's worth. Will have to post pictures when I get home.

Stephiedoll, Sean and Sirchopsalot like this.
  2. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

that's good you have some leftover. We will too. So, more for next year.
    Keep at it at the rate you are and you'll be on the 3 year plan in no time.
    SCA

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  3. foothillsfire

foothillsfire

As the days get longer it's time to update this thread, mostly to keep track of things.
    Over last winter I figure we burned a little under a cord, which was about all we had ready to burn. This year we'll have much more and can be less conservative.
    Around the backyard a couple things have changed:

IMG_0925.JPG
    The poplar and apple stack that used to be behind the shed has now partially moved to a small wood rack that will be right by the back door. I picked this up at a big discount a Canadian Tire and now I can tell why. Terrible design, but it will work for now. I am planning on rotating wood down on the nicer days throughout the winter so there is always a decent amount right by the backdoor.
    IMG_0924.JPG

The remainder of the poplar was turned into kindling for this winter.
    IMG_0926[1].jpg
    Along the back fence on the West side we burned all the wood that used to be on the pallet. There is about 1/3 of a cord of ash and birch stacked to the left that will be burned this winter.
    IMG_0929[1].JPG

On the east side of the back fence, I've got mixed hardwood, including apple, elm, maple and ash. This is where I had a small stack of poplar stacked last year. I've cut back the branches of that ornamental to make more room, now it is a much more impressive stack. Visible to the left is the poplar and elm stacked on a pallet last fall.
    IMG_0927[1].JPG

Between the spruce trees I've started a second row. I need one more nice scrounge to finish the stack. If nothing comes up on FB marketplace I may go down to Crown land to cut some Lodgepole. All of this will hopefully to be burned two years from now.
    IMG_0928[1].JPG

Thanks for dropping by to read the update!

4. foothillsfire

foothillsfire

Time for a photodump and an overdue update.
    Last fall after an unfortunate stack failure I restacked the wood in the pic directly above, this time putting all of the dark mayday wood at the top. I think it ended up looking quite nice.
    Middle stack.jpg

This spring I have had some very lucky scrounges for the area. Started with this apple load.
    apple stack.jpg
    Then a load of manitoba maple.
    Maple scrounging.jpg
    Then a full load of birch (forgot to get a picture, oops). All awesome BTUs for the area. Unfortunately the birch was a bit too full and broke the cable on my truck canopy. Still have to get that fixed.

After plenty of sawing and splitting (still by hand) I've got 2/3 of the remaining back fence stacked to about 6ft high. Once complete that stack will be a little over 1 cord. Add that to the ~1.5 cords and a bit I have already put up I am getting closer to 3 year plan.
    The stacks are hard to photograph with the spruce in the way.
    Woodpile 1.jpg
    woodpile 2.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Man thats awesome!!
    Youve been busy since the last update.
    How much more to make the 3 yr plan?

6. foothillsfire

foothillsfire

Hard to say! This winter I expect we'll be burning more because my wife will be home with our baby. I'm roughly estimating 1.5-2 cords.
    If I can get 1 more cord stacked I think I'd be close to 3 years. The two current limits are space and time. The backyard is filling up, and I am prioritizing time with the baby. With 2 years comfortably stacked I'm not too worried for the moment.

buZZsaw BRAD, Sirchopsalot and John D like this.
  7. foothillsfire

foothillsfire

Hello friends,
    Its been a busy summer with the little one but I have found some time to stack up firewood as well.
    Had a great time getting out with my dad to cut some lodgepole pine nearby.
    Pine harvest.jpg
    Haven't been falling much lately so I was happy with this stump, nice clean even hinge wood. Face cut was maybe a bit too deep.
    clean stump.jpg

The product of a morning's work:
    Stacked truck.jpg

This wood was for my parents so won't add to my stacks. Happy to help them out though.