In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Flowers & Foliage

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bogieb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. bogieb

bogieb

That is cool! Haven't seen the monarch caterpillar since Monday but I can't find its chrysalis so I will never know when it hatches.

Edit - BTW, that is a female. I'm just so proud that I can remember the difference that I had to show off my knowledge :)

2. savemoney

savemoney

That is so wonderful! you have a monarch. I wonder how it will find the strength to fly south

3. savemoney

savemoney

4. savemoney

savemoney

my second attempt at this, last one ended up within the quote: The second to the last picture I think is Japanese knotweed. Please look this one up. We called it wild bamboo. What I know about it is that it is extremely invasive and nearly impossible to eradicate. Getting all the root is like digging to China. Will establish itself in huge clumps which kill off everything else. I am no fan of herbicide, but it will take a strong one like used to kill poison ivy. That weed will even grow through asphalt. Good luck.

5. bogieb

bogieb

I don't think it is - in 2016 I had Japanese knotweed in an area by the garage and that grew 6' tall in a couple of weeks (if that). I could seriously just about see it grow if I stood there for a few minutes. I ended up digging down 4' and removing all the dirt and roots that I could find, filling it back in with different sand and covering it with heavy rubber mat then pea gravel so it can't grow back thru.

Here is a picture of the stuff after I poisoned some starts in May 2016. Sure, it looks sad in this picture, but in a couple of weeks it was 6' tall and I wacked it down

stump 3 with japanese knotweed.jpg

Here is part of the hole I dug in June 2016 to get to the root (and the big rock I had to move - that was fun).
    Big rock.jpg

That being said, nothing says the plant I have nowcan't be a close relative or just look different than what I previously battled. I plan on taking care of it soon. Thanks for pointing out the possibility!

Thor, NH mountain man and savemoney like this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

For your sake, I hope I am wrong. Cut one off at the base. see if the center is hollow. As a kid, we would cut them and use them for pea shooters. Maybe send a picture and a leaf to your local extension service.

NH mountain man likes this.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Send in the goats then cover the ground with opaque landscaping fabric let sit for several years.

NH mountain man, bogieb and savemoney like this.
  8. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Monarchs on our Asters, We grow Milkweed for them and and have dozens of caterpillars on them, and at a least a half dozen adult butterflies.......enjoy. DSCN2304.JPG DSCN2305.JPG DSCN2303.JPG DSCN2300.JPG DSCN2298.JPG DSCN2297.JPG

Midwinter, bogieb and Woodwidow like this.
  9. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We have a lot of older seed, some 4 or 5 yrs. we still use them. The general rule is a loss of seed viability of 10 % a year. We find it to be much lower in the 4 to 5 % range for our older seeds. And we have approx 75,000 seeds. Stick em' in the ground if you got em'.

Well Seasoned, Midwinter and bogieb like this.
  10. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We see Hummingbird moths now and then, been a few years. Pretty neat huh?

Well Seasoned, Midwinter and bogieb like this.
  11. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

That's Golden Rod we have a lot, it's a great August color bloomer for perennial bed back borders. It attracts lots of pollinaters.

12. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We have a whole mess of Jack in the Pulpit in the woods by the brook, Been there 40 yrs. that I know of. Did you know Jack in the Pulpit is one the only "green "flowers.

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Green in what way?

bogieb and NH mountain man like this.
  14. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

The whole plant and the flower "Jack" who is in the "pulpit" is green. The seeds, aka, the berries are red.

Midwinter, bogieb and MikeInMa like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

Late summer and teh gardens are really winding down. But, I did take some pictures Monday evening. Starting with the area next to the swamp.

Sweet Autumn Clematis is stretched about 10 feet and climbing my short Azaleas. I really need to clean this area and make it look like a real garden
    Clematis - sweet autumn 1.jpg

Close up of the clematis - and yes, it does have a nice, sweet scent.
    Clematis - sweet autumn close.jpg

The burning bush is starting to blush.
    burning bush starting to blush.jpg

The hydrangea tree blooms are blushing too - the spent several weeks in the white stage
    Hydrangea tree with blushing blooms.jpg

Below the burning bush are turtle heads, which have been blooming for a couple of weeks, and a good crop of New England asters.
    turtle heads and NE Asters.jpg

16. bogieb

bogieb

On the other side of the yard

I can't remember what these are and I don't think they are a rudbekia- although they could be.
    Red daisy.jpg

This is a Rudbekia, but I failed to get a pot that had a tag when I bought it a couple of weeks ago.
    rudbekia-indian.jpg

Winterberry berries
    Winterberry berries.jpg

In the Roadside garden, I set up a couple of autumn cabbages in a planter
    Fall cabbage.jpg

This is poisonous Pokeberry that volunteered at the corner (but outside) of the roadside garden. I love the fall colors of the red stems and black berries. Once it fades, I'll yank it.
    Pokeberry 5.jpg

Roadside garden from the side closest to the driveway. The guara (midway and in front) is really trying to take over the front and is still throwing pink flowers over the rock wall. It may not be hardy thru the winter, but it definitely wants to be remembered.
    roadside garden tree side.jpg

Roadside garden from the property line (you can see some green pokeweed berries at the very left). I set up a planter in front with three mums - red, white and purple. I'm still waiting for the autumn crocus to come up in the platner to the right of the picture.
    roadside garden.jpg

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Still looking beautiful!

bogieb and NH mountain man like this.
  18. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Very nice bogieb !

bogieb likes this.
  19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I have never seen turtle heads before. I enjoyed the picture with the bees on it that you posted a while back.

bogieb likes this.
  20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Went back and looked at the Aug pictures of your roadside garden and it has really filled out by now.

campinspecter and bogieb like this.