In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Flowers & Foliage

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bogieb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Thanks, that would be great! I hope they aren't sterile. I know the pink ones seed themselves like crazy.

2. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Mrs. MT. Man's Hibiscus, and this mornings harvest. And me in the corn. 20190821_112729.jpg 20190821_112728.jpg 20190821_115748.jpg 20190821_115726.jpg 20190821_103345.jpg

3. bogieb

bogieb

That hibiscus is beautiful! Nice haul of vegies - you guys will be eating well. And that corn is just awesome, maybe do a mini maze?

savemoney, Eric VW, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  4. unclefess

unclefess Guest

like the hat mtn. man

5. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Great pictures! Looks like a cornucopia on that table! So shiny & beautiful! Ummm, I know that corn is tall cause I know how tall you are! Great job on the garden!:thumbs:

We're still eating what you brought, neighbor just brought 3 types of corn, our garden is doing well and my dad will hook us up with 2 or 3 bushels of corn this weekend!

savemoney, Eric VW, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

Stopped by to drop some baptisia and echinacea seeds off to Midwinter . She surprised me with some bulbs for autumn crocus :thumbs:

Here are what they should look like once they grow

Crocus - Giant Autumn label in roadside garden by sedum.jpg
    Crocus - Saffron label small bulbs in planter.jpg

Wasn't planning on planting them when I got home, but the weather guessers said we should get plenty of rain tomorrow night, so thought I would take advantage since they like moist conditions.

Here is what the Giant Autumn crocus looks like planted in the roadside garden (exciting I know) crucus - giant planted by sedum (no growth).jpg

Here are the Saffron crocus now - also in the roadside garden. I decided since they are only zone 6, to place them in a planter and then once the cold hits, store them in the garage to overwinter. Crocus - Saffron in planter (no growth).jpg

And just because I was out there watering everything in, figured I would take a couple more pictures.

roadside garden from lily side.jpg

roadside garden from stump side.jpg

The Autumn Fire sedum is getting ready to show some full-on color Sedum - Autumn Fire blushing more 8-27.jpg

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

Looking good! The saffron crocus is hardy for me.

8. bogieb

bogieb

That is good to know. My area gets 10-15* than your area, which could be all the difference in such things.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Monarch butterfly caterpillar on the butterfly weed in the driveway garden. It better do its change quick before it gets cold (we've had 3 nights in the 40's in the last 5 days)
    Caterpiller on Butterfly Weed.jpg

10. bogieb

bogieb

Gardens have certainly slowed down, but there are some late summer / fall bloomers

Bee on Clematis (Sweet Autumn), you can see the sacs of pollen on the bee
    clemantis autumn with bee and pollen.jpg

Sweet Autumn clematis trying to take over the world. One of the reasons I wish the willow was still there (trunk is on the left) - I had planned for the clematis to climb it and it would be awesome. Oh well, sometimes plans just don't work out.
    Clementis autmn.jpg

Bee in a Turtle Head flower - you can see the pollen sacs on it also
    Turtlehead flowers with bee and pollen.jpg

Turtle Head colony
    Turtlehead flowers.jpg

Monarch butterfly on some type of weed. Leaving the weeds for the butterflies, bees and hummingbirds (I saw one yesterday)
    monarch butterfly 9-3.jpg

Monarch caterpillar taken on 9/3 - same day as the butterfly. It is munching on a Butterfly Weed seed pod. I check every day and it is still munching away. It really needs to get the show on the road before it becomes winter kill! My Google-foo says that each stage takes 10-14 days so it is cutting it very close.
    monarch caterpiller 9-3.jpg

Another weed but leaving it for the nectar/pollen hunters
    Weed flowers.jpg

Lily of the Valley berries. Yeah, I know they are poisonous plants but they are at the edge of the yard - away from the cats, so I love that they cover that shady area.
    Lily of the Valley berries.jpg

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

I've got a chrysalis I'm watching, it was underneath some bark that I chipped off a split. IMG_20190905_52444.jpg

12. Thor

Thor

Hey guys and gals. I was kinda proud of these 6 foot tall things. Lady walking by said nice mustard weeds. :emb: :rofl: :lol: Guess I'll pull them out.

0908191054.jpg

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:rofl: :lol:
    :rofl: :lol:

14. bogieb

bogieb

Looks like golden rod to me, but maybe the are the same thing.

Something is only a weed if we don't get enjoyment out of it. I let "weeds" grow in certain areas so the nectar and pollen eaters have late season eats. Once the foragers are gone, I pull them up.

If you have left them this long, consider keeping them until the bees and butterflies are gone.

15. Thor

Thor

I just googled it. Your right, she is wrong. I'm leaving them!

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Jack in the pulpit corm

I need to research if the "berries" are seeds to be planted, or, planted as is for next year.

IMG_20190909_073214950.jpg IMG_20190909_073209099.jpg

17. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

We always called them mustard when I was young.

NH mountain man, Midwinter and Thor like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

Hmm, after Googling, although they can look similar, they are not the same thing, nor are the flowers the same (once you get up close). Goldenrod is in the Aster/Daisy family while mustards are in the Brassica family. Doesn't mean people don't cross the words and confuse everyone :).

19. savemoney

savemoney

I am telling you that Golden rod is good. the pollen is heavy and fall to the ground, doesn't drift in the wind and contribute to allergies. Another thing, several planting kept by professionals are including Golden rod in their gardens. Seen several on the grounds of banks etc. in their gardens. There is a mustard weed that grows here. It blooms very early in the spring. Spreads fast. I really don't like to refer to native plants as weeds. You can have some really beautiful gardens that include native plants.

20. Midwinter

Midwinter

He hatched today! IMG_20190912_32499.jpg

Thor, Woodwidow, wildwest and 3 others like this.