In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Flowers & Foliage

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bogieb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

He tends to go after Dawn. She used the broom on him this morning after taking 2 spurs to the leg. :eek:

3. Well Seasoned

Thanks....The lupine pods are just starting to dry out if you'd like any. :)

4. bogieb

bogieb

That would be great - I think I found a couple of small lupine starts in one of the gardens (at least I think they are since they are a bi-annual and I could be off on my leaf identification). but if I throw some seed out this year, I might be able to get the whole cycle started so I have them every year.

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

What started out as a few Black Eyed Susan’s.. has filled out the front bed pretty much... plus my Naked Ladies have decided to show up....:D

9FC4945B-B71C-45A9-A5A5-EF8774C6FC77.jpeg

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Of course, no relevant pics....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

:picard:

:D

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

I found a tub of all the remaining seeds at big orange box store today. I wonder if seeds hold til next year?

20190808_103501.jpg

The field grass area in the side yard is just about done. The lupine seeds never sprouted. I have voles living in there making mounds on the lawn.

The foxglove and columbine tanked. 14 turkeys went through and probably ate all the bugs in there. It just looks unkempt.

20190807_184310.jpg
    I'm thinking it may go back to lawn for the remainder of the year. Black eyed Susan's or purple coneflowers would look great there next year.

I want to plant sunflowers next year by the wasteland on the side of the barn. All the blackberries bushes never produced. Maybe time to mow them down. I need another two wood racks set up in that space.

The front wildflower patch struggled and lost out to the crabgrass. I weed whacked that area and ran the tractor over it to mulch it. I'm starting to see the other wildflower patch go by. Fall is not far off.

8. Well Seasoned

Seeds should last, some varieties will be hit or miss I've found.

9. bogieb

bogieb

If you can place the seeds in the fridge, they will last longer.

Are you sure the lupines didn't sprout? Those are a plant that grows starts the first year, then the next year (or sometimes 3 years later), bloom. I always have that problem that I plant blooming lupines then the next year pull the little starts thinking they are wild geranium weeds so there goes my crop for the next year :doh:.

10. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm wondering if the voles took the seeds. I just broadcasted and watered them in.

11. fishingpol

fishingpol

I could not find any. I left that area undisturbed since I threw the seeds down, so I would expect them to have some size to them.

12. bogieb

bogieb

Maybe they'll come up next year and give you a nice surprise

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Kiddo and I saw a hummingbird moth last week, it went pot by pot on the dark purple petunia's. Very cool, I have never seen one before. It appeared like a hummingbird but not quite right from the ones I've had before. Lucky, he stuck around and both of us got a pretty good look, so cool! AND a week of so before that we both saw Sandhill Cranes in real life too. Almost comical 3 big birds standing around in a swamped cow pasture, still there 3 hours later when we drove past them on the way home too. HUGE.

14. Midwinter

Midwinter

Daylily Autumn Minaret and purple meadow rue. IMG_20190815_7241.jpg

15. Well Seasoned

16. bogieb

bogieb

Still have some day lilies blooming, but the real interest of mine right now is the tree Hydrangea

From the house side
    Hydrangea tree in bloom.jpg

From this side you can tell where the deep shade is - right where the blooms stop.
    Hydrangea tree in bloom-2.jpg

And then there is the Autum Fire sedum that is starting to blush :bug:
    Sedum - Autumn Fire starting to blush.jpg

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Our provincial government put out this booklet on invasive flowers that take over the native natural one. I thought it was quite interesting. Unfortunately one of the flowers listed is one of my favourites although I have been only admiring it in the wild not realizing that it is an import. I thought it might be interesting reading for fishingpol as you are trying to establish a wild flower patch.

Edit: I don't know if anyone can open this. Let me know.

Attached Files:

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

I could open it. There is some overlap in species between your area and mine, so I found out some interesting info about invasives here.

19. bogieb

bogieb

At my last place Bachelor's buttons got way out of hand - and ants love them so transport seeds everywhere! I am currently fighting spurge that came with some day lilies. This year I've only had a couple of starts that I've had to pull but they are masters of hiding in "good" foliage and it is especially hard to find them when they meld with the creeping phlox.

I did find it interesting that in at least one case, they suggested using an Asian native.

20. bogieb

bogieb

Those Yellow ones don't seem to want to start dying back - they still look nice and gold. I'll keep checking them though. I did cut a couple of the Sombrero Flamenco Orange ones that are starting to turn. I have them up where the cats can't get to them while they finish drying. I have been holding onto false indigo pods that ripened a couple of weeks ago.

Just a reminder of the colors - Sombrero Flamenco Orange
    Echinacea Coneflower Sombrero Flamenco Orange roadside garden.jpg

Sombrero Granada Gold
    Echinacea Coneflower Sombrero Granada gold.jpg

Since I work in Nashua, I will drop them off some time.