In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fixing a driveway

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Canadian border VT, Oct 6, 2020.

1. DNH

DNH

Box blade is great at moving/dragging material to new location and spreading it uniformly along drag path but due to design it’s poor at moving material from outside edge of road to middle of road. While a rear blade that can be angled and tilted allows you to move the material to the middle and also easily adjust difference between pitch of the road tractor is on and pitch material is discharged at thus building the crown.

Can it be done with a box blade and adjusting linkage arms, yes but will require many more passes and passes contribute to breaking down angular structure of crushed gravel that allow rock to lock together.

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yeah you did.. exactly what I was thinking 5 to 6 ton! I rented one 3 days you think that’s a long time it’s not it was running for about 30 hours, the headlights were useless. I called a HS buddy that had 15 years experience in one cause I never would have finished. Rent was $1,100 and I’m pretty sure I would need one for 60 days to just accomplish what I see now!

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I did not know that

Midwinter and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

About $2100/month for a 5 ton around here. That’s a lot of work to need it for 60 days. And it will probably take you 6 months or more to do all that work if you are working full time in another job or working on other property projects too.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Green paint will apparently make it worth more. :rofl: :lol:

tamarack, Midwinter, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Two weeks later after a few down pours I have no erosion area:dancer:..

Trucking company recommended gravel from a different pit as it “locks together better”. I would say he was correct!! Did 20 passes with a screed(sp?) basically a 5x10 plate with 2” holes in it to remove chatter and smooth top!:tractor:

DNH, eatonpcat, MikeInMa and 6 others like this.