In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskers Maul

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Reloader, Dec 25, 2018.

1. jma24

jma24

I love splitting wood with an axe! Trying to avoid getting a hydraulic splitter for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey, metalcuttr, bushpilot and 2 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

So what is the verdict? I have the X27 axe and love it. Split all my wood with it. Had to wedge and sledge (snapped the wood handle on the 10 pounder) some huge red oak rounds today and have been considering one.

metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

NEW Fiskars ISOCORE 8# Splitting Maul

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Well I can tell you I have it and love it. I use it way more than the x 27 which I only use now when I have ridiculously easy splitting wood. I am actually not a big fan of the x27 and though I think it does a good job, I just seem clumsy with it and I don't like the feel. Recently while splitting some light wood I tried to analyse the problem I'm having with it and: 1) I'm just used to heavy mauls, but more importantly 2) I don't like the stiff straight light hollow handle. Feels awkward to me and because it's such a light maul I need a faster swing to bust through the rounds. The Isocore has a nice solid handle with a slight spring and rubber grip that the x27 is glaringly missing. Instead has that annoying sharp hook curve on the end of the handle. The 8lb upgrade is easier on my hands and more comfortable over-all believe it or not.
    The Isocore is not too heavy for making those high velocity strikes and I find it perfect for most jobs including lighter wood as well. However I need to use the x27 for something right. I recommend the Isocore without hesitation and you'll love the very sharp blade. One issue there though is that due to the very fine taper of the blade it will sometimes sink deep into certain woods without making the split and get wedged in. This can be a pain as you will be trying to pull your Isocore out the log and its like the maul and the log are now one, but luckily this is rare.

Chaz, whitey, metalcuttr and 4 others like this.
  5. Reloader

Reloader

After using it a few times I’m finding myself able to split some rounds that would have been a sledge and wedge show with my other mauls. I will continue to misery the X27 whenever possible as it is much easier for me to swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I use 5 classes of tools: 1. X25 and 27 for most stuff; 2. Maul/isocore for bigger and narlier stuff; 3. 8 lb sledge and wedges (set of 3 wedges) for even tougher stuff, and; 4. chainsaw to carve up the impossible stuff. Number 5 is a small electric hydraulic splitter that rarely gets used, but is good for really stringy stuff.

The isocore is fine, I don't find it any more effective than my other 8lb maul, although the steel and handle are better quality. I don't like the rubber grip on the isocore because it prevents me from allowing my hand to slide, as I swing.

I don't have wood handles on anything. Even if I never overstrike, I end up breaking wood handles from the violent impacts involved with the task. They don't make em like they used to.

Chaz, whitey, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I havent used a sledge in a few years. I was given some huge oak rounds (24-30") that i have to quarter to load in my truck. Borrowed a couple from my landlord who told me to keep them. One is 10lb that looks like it goes back to the Hoover administration. LOL!!! Handle broke after 3 logs. The smaller one survived the rest of the splitting but it had this cheesy skinny handle and the head popped off. I was going today to get handles for the two sledges, but am considering just getting the iso instead. Have you ever used the iso as a sledge? Ive used mauls as a sledge in the past, but remember cracking the steel. Going to Lowes today and weigh the differences.
    I seem to only take wood that is easy to split with the Fiskars. Maybe im just getting lazy in my old age (50)

Chaz, whitey, DaveGunter and 2 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I remember when i first used the X27, didnt like it at first but once i got used to the light weight i love it. Ill use a certain splitting tool for a while and get used to it. Had the shorter version of it but lost it roadside in leaves picking up some roadkill. (my slang term for logs left by the roadside). Just a matter of getting used to it. I agree with the hook on the end. Ive noticed recently tht it bugs me.

9. lotifoazurri

lotifoazurri

Out of curiosity how do y'all like to sharpen your Isocore? I have some rectangular waterstones and they're ok but work better for a small blade. Anything you have found that works really well? I have dinged up the edge from overstrikes and need to give it a good sharpen.

10. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I have a large flat steel file, but only use this to touch up minor dings on my mauls and axes. For serious chips or deep divets I use an angle grinder, but a motorized wheel grinder would be ideal, I just don't own one. Anyway, using the tire over log stump method I rarely get any real damage requiring more than a flat file.

11. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

The isocore maul works fine as a sledge for driving wedges.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

thanks. I ended up not buying one today. Got a handle for the 10lb sledge and put it on. I may order one online as Lowes wanted $60 for it

Backwoods Savage, DaveGunter and Chaz like this.
  13. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

To tell you the truth that's probably good anyway. I use many mauls in my splitting arsenal and even though the Isocore is my main squeeze there is no one maul that is best for every situation. I even had this brainstorm once after seeing this heavy copper ground wire at home depot. I figured to increase weight and at the same time protect the handle I'd wrap it around the neck of my handle. This standard 8 lb maul is now 12 lbs and this is what I use to bust thru just about anything. It worked great for three years, but the handle finally caught a split and is in need of replacing. You can see in the later picture I have wire and a hose clam to keep the copper from getting loose and uncoiling. I still use it, but it has an annoying springy bounce to it at the moment.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

great improvisation. I checked in my shed and found a 12lb "log blaster" i believe it was called. Shorter steel handle welded to a fat wedge head. God knows the last time i used it. I think a friend gave it to me a couple years ago. Handle was slghtly bent and the grip was gone. Bought a roll of rubberized elecrical tape to make a new grip. May try it out soon. Have some 24-30" oak rounds to split.