In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe Tendonitis?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by FreedomFamilyFarms, Oct 21, 2021.

1. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

I have a hunch. The last couple seasons I’ve ended up with a raging case of tendonitis in my elbows after hand splitting. My seasons start the same, taking larger seasoned splits and making fine splits to season the masonry heater. Since I’m splitting “easy wood” I grab the X27.

I’m 5’9” and cut my rounds to 21”. I think the X27 is causing the issue. When swinging it, speed is the main factor in splitting the round due to the light weight of the axe. I think the muscles and tendons are still in “swing mode” when I contact the round instead of being relaxed. I’m wondering if hitting the round with that much speed and coming to nearly a dead stop with all of those muscle and tendon fibers already tight is what’s doing the damage.

Curious if anyone else has had similar problems.

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've experienced "splitting elbow", with all types of mails, not just the X27.

I suspect it's related to hyperextending your elbow. Possibly standing too far away, reaching too far out. Or, the round splits too easily and you momentarily lose control of the head.

Using a splitting stump seems to help. IMO

Good thread! :thumbs:

3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have an X 27 and during the winter I will sometimes split a 1/3 of a chord by hand for the exercise. I use a splitting stump. I have not had that problem.

But if that is the main repetitive motion you do Then it could be causing your problem.

4. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Check with your Dr. You might just need a wrap on your forearm similar to ones used for "tennis elbow". I had to do that once because of digging hay off a round bale with a hay fork.

Does anyone know about any shock from the synthetic handle on the Fiskars as opposed to a wooden handle? I know a lot of people use the Fiskars so someone should be able to comment.

Hope you feel better. Bad time of year for that.

5. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

I don’t think it’s the shock. Those Fiskars handles do a good job with that. My hunch is that I’m just “forcing” my way through the wood instead of “directing” the maul through the fibers.

At the point the bit penetrates the wood I should be guiding, not forcing, if that makes sense… muscles and tendons relaxed not strained.

I picked up a Fiskars maul this year and I hope to test the theory once this bout is healed.

6. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

I've got a couple of those wraps, they work wonders.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Even junk mail???:rofl: :lol:

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive been hand splitting my whole life and the X27 is my main tool as of late. Cant say i notice any difference. Sometimes my shoulder bothers me from it. Ive recently switched to hydro but still hand split on occasion.

Ive made a living swinging a hammer for a good part of 35 years and use a shock absorbing hammer for the last 20 years. Guess you could say my body is used to it.

9. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

I split a cart full with my new 8# Fiskars maul a few days ago and didn’t have any trouble.

Going to keep working on my technique. I’m sure this can happen with any tool if you’re powering through the impact with tight muscles and tendons. The heavier maul seems to have all the momentum it needs when the bit meets the wood so I can “relax” those muscles and tendons and just direct the bit into the wood.

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

:p

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  11. Joe P

Joe P

I had a TERRIBLE case of tennis elbow from flipping splits onto a pile. It was so bad, I couldn't lift a fry pan. I tried EVERYTHING, including those stupid bands that go around your forearm. Nothing worked. My wife's alternative medicine doctor recommend this stuff as she was low in magnesium. He specifically said this stuff.

Mag SRT. We get it from amazon. Wife had a terrible case of plantar fascitis. she started taking the Mag SRT for her mag levels and in a couple of week the PF was gone. I thought, hmmm, what the heck. I started taking it and my tennis elbow improved DRAMATICALLY in about a week. Maybe 2 weeks later, gone, completely. I suffered with it for about 8 months.

I did a little bit of reading and the idea is that the tendon's are actually messed up due to muscle tension. Magnesium is one of those elements that the body needs for muscle relaxation. I forget the other element needed for contraction. Anyways, the jist is, relax the muscle, the tendon heals. I had really bad sciatica as well and that went away as well. Don't know if that is related, but I ain't complaining.

I am not a doctor and your mileage may vary, but it worked for me.

12. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Good stuff, I take a magnesium supplement but I’ll give this one a look.

Chvymn99 and Cold Trigger Finger like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Great info Joe. Ill keep this in mind.

Chvymn99 and Cold Trigger Finger like this.
  14. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

I got splitters elbow 2 years ago. That’s when I picked up A hydro splitter as it was cheaper than the PT I should have done to recover (maybe I just needed an excuse to buy one). Anyway, it took 6 months of taking it easy on the mail swinging before my elbow was back to normal. I still prefer hand splitting but when I start to feel the pain coming on on in my elbow I take a break for a few weeks and just split with the hydro. So far so good, no significant relapses.

15. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I've never had problems with the x27 and I split 50+ cords since Oct-2019 with it.

Maybe you can take a video of your technique and setup because otherwise everyone is just guessing. It could be many things.

Do you use a stump? On a related note have you ever tried using a tire mounted to a stump? That's how I do it. Saves you from bending down and picking up splits after every stroke.

2021-10-28 13.26.07.jpg 2021-10-29 09.11.13.jpg 2021-10-29 09.11.16.jpg 2021-10-29 09.11.43.jpg

16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Is the X27 the 36" handled 4 lb splitting ax, or is that the x59 ??
    Anyway, I've never had any maladys related to the 36" handled 4 lb splitting ax.
    Works AWESOME ! It's my go to tool. But I loaned it to some folks that are new to the area. I showed them how to split conifers. They split 7/8s of a cord in a couple/few days. They couldn't stop talking about how great it works. So I might let them keep it as a Christmas gift and get another one. But I want to try the 28" handled version.
    The splitting Tire is awesome also. As shown, just fill it with rounds to be split and wack wack wack. All split with no chasing splits . Also helps protect the shins and feet.

I do think there is something to your idea about powering thru being un helpful.
    I wack the round , but only if it's medium difficult to split do I power thru.

17. tamarack

tamarack

Cutting rounds to 21 inches? That's alot of wood for the ax to travel through. I'm certain if you went down to 16 your hand splitting life would be much less painful. I only split about 8 cords a year with an x27 at 15 inch rounds, it's enjoyable. Hydraulics have their place, and if your over 20 cord a year it may be worth it.

18. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

A very good point… 21” is a lot of fiber. I hope to experiment more with the various maul weights but I have and do split the bulk of my wood with a hydraulic splitter.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  19. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

I had the same experience when I first bought the x27. Became my go-to splitting tool. On straight grained wood like red oak there’s nothing better. One pop and the round splits almost every time. I bought the heavier Fiskars maul and hope to use it more this season to see if I feel a difference when using it.

20. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

Yeah, I got an 8lb Fiskars maul too, but I'm getting too damm old and pitiful to handle it. Back to the x27.