In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskars hookaroon

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Barcroftb, Nov 29, 2017.

1. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My Hookaroon came in today so I had to run outside for a quick trial run. It will save a lot of bending on the back and will keep my hands out of the snow and dirt.
    F691009E-6A56-47B8-A664-C5F61BD5C3D1.jpeg
    One pic is enough but I wanted to show off my fancy Atlas gloves that I love to wear.
    E13BCED3-9CB6-4A9F-AD7E-BC3BDA650C53.jpeg

2. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Thanks guys! Survey says great tool.:thumbs:

3. Sourwood

Sourwood

I got one a month or so. Reall saves on labor. I have the hatchet size one too. Harder to get a "stick" to pick up a split piece.
    I use the longer one to load bed of the UTV, get heavy rounds positioned at the splitter, and drag lighter logs as needed.

Only issue is it is awkward to unstick a piece when loaded onto the pile. Got to get the knack down. I have several Fiskars products. The maul mentioned in another thread is intruiging.

First post for me, I love the information on the threads and how busy the board is. Members seem to be a mix of crazy or smart-$&@. Thought I would fit in.....

Fanatical1, Maina, Chaz and 14 others like this.
  4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Welcome to the FHC club! Pull up a log and have a seat at the:campfire:I have a feeling you will like it here!

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh, so you met Eric VW and brenndatomu then...:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

;)

brenndatomu, Maina, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

My awesome wife got me a fiskars xa22 hookaroon for Christmas. I love it.

I'm 6'4" and it works perfectly for me. It sure saves my back. I forgot my pre woods aspirin/ ibuprofen and even after hauling and loading a full load of wood, my back wasn't sore the next day as it surely would have had I not had the hookaroon.
    IMG_20171228_134217058.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  7. Horkn

Horkn

You forgot a few more;)

But yes Sourwood , pull up a chair and sit a while. I promise you that there's no whoopie cushion under the seat cushion.

:fart::fart::fart:

Excuse you!

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Yes, I'm 14 yes old

:handshake:

brenndatomu, Maina, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  8. Sourwood

Sourwood

Thanks all. I have looked around the site and checked the FAQ, but I cant find where to read messages. My status says there are a couple waitning, nut I'll be hanged if I can locate it. Inbox tab seems to be for other items.

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Just hover over the inbox tab at the top right and you'll get a drop-down box or click on it

10. Sourwood

Sourwood

I stopped by my local family owned hardware store that has everything! maple tree taps, gasket for pressure cooker, strike anywhere matches, on and on. I usually stop in to get an odd nut or bolt etc. He has plenety of staff so when you come through the door someone is ready to take you right to where you need to go and provide assistance.

When I need a big ticket item, I try to get it there. I decided I wanted a good professional cant hook to roll my logs and big rounds. The owner assisted me. I notice he had Fiskar products and mentioned the hookaroon. He didn't know what it was. I explained its uses. He wrote it down, collected my 100 dollar bill and asked if I had this years calendar. He saved a few back.

Well on my third log move the wooden handle snapped in two right at a knot on the wood. When I came through to door, one of the employees saw it and said, Oh yes Mr. K said he didn't like the look of that handle and if a customer came back with a broken one, to take care of it. They did straight away. Then the owner saw me and said he has three versions of hookaroons and pickaroons ordered.

Those stores hardly exist anymore. He told me he is expanding his metric fastener line to ensure high quality, and wide variety of metric bolts and nuts with different pitches, etc. He will be the only place to have that. That is how you compete with big box stores, they won't dedicate floor space for such things for a nation wide level.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Maina, Dancan, Chaz and 13 others like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

I used my fiskars xa22 hookaroon again today. It sure saves me from bending over to get rounds and splits off of the ground.

Dense hardwood like ironwood or sugar maple and hickory you have to give it a good honest swing to stick, but even a second swing to get it to stick is nothing compared to bending over to pick up a piece of wood.

12. woody5506

woody5506

Got one for Xmas and have used it a bunch. It has it's uses but overall I could do without it. I don't have much issue bending over to pick up rounds or splits so sometimes the hookaroon feels like a waste of time, especially when moving large rounds. I won't say it's over hyped but it honestly does feel silly to me sometimes to use it...especially when it takes more work to get it to stick into a piece of wood than it does it just pick it up by hand.

HDRock and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  13. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Woody, your back must not get as sore as mine. Hopefully it never happens to you, I have a pickaroon for years now, just bought a pair of firewood tongs from amazon, .
    that are just super for many reasons. My gloves stay drier, I can carry two pieces of near similar size at same time unlike the pick up big piece and carry by itself or a small piece in the other hand. Makes for quicker work with less bending of my back.

Maina, HDRock, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  14. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I agree, use my log tongs more than any other tool other than the saw itself. I find tongs handier than a hookaroon in most situations.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

JWinIndiana likes this.
  15. Sourwood

Sourwood

Well mine fell off my UTV somewhare in the woods, and was then covered by a snowstorm. UTV came down with an ilness, so it went to the dealer. It is under warranty, and new issues are uncovered. All being addressed, but I need it to hunt my hookaroon while the snow is melted. I have come to rely on it. Getting by, but it is harder without it.

Maina, Lone_Gun and leoht like this.
  16. Dead Cutter

Dead Cutter

I would definitely get the hookaroon. I bought a 36 inch Peavy. The only thing I would caution is the length of the fiskars. I would say if you are 6 feet tall I wouldn't go shorter than the 36 inch length. I tried a 30 inch stihl and I was bending over a lot more and it was uncomfortable. Just my two cents.

Maina and Ronaldo like this.
  17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Hmmm...... i was never alerted to this thread and just now stumbled on it! Anyway, Dawn is pleased with my hookaroon. :banana:

Maina, Chaz, leoht and 2 others like this.
  18. MikeyB

MikeyB

That’s a good price for those tongs

Maina and Well Seasoned like this.
  19. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

One of my boys and I loaded the garage with wood the other night. With an 8ft bed and racks on the truck I did have to climb up to get the wood at the front of the bed but the pickaroon saved me a lot of hassle. I just pulled the wood toward the end of the bed. It is becoming a nice addition to the the wood tool collection.

20. Sourwood

Sourwood

Well, no luck finding it, and I spent a few hours Sunday cutting up two fallen maples. I decided I need one so I went to the family hardware store I mentioned earlier, that ordered some on my praise of them. I picked up a new one, and it was cheaper than Amazon! Back to work. I will likely find it again, and will put someone to work.

Maina, Dancan, Lone_Gun and 1 other person like this.