In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Time Sighting

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Jun 17, 2018.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Been living here in Ontario for 36 years now. While driving down to southern Ontario this morning to a shoot. I came across a Grey Fox. Had never seen one up here in all that time. We have lots of Reds. My understanding that this is the extreme northern edge of their range. Would have loved to get his picture, but as soon as I stopped and pulled over, he disappeared like a flash into the roadside bush.
     
  2. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Wish you woulda got the pic though. :confused:
     
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    We have silver foxes down here mostly South Coast of Ma. and Rhode Island.

    They travel mostly in packs on luxury tour buses and are frequently seen in casinos.

    :whistle::cool:
     
  4. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Where abouts in Southern Ontario?

    Seen a Cross Fox (very dark colour phase of a red fox) a few years ago just outside of Timmins Ontario. They say about 30% of red foxes in Canada are Cross Foxes but of the many hundreds of red foxes I have seen across the province over the years, this was the first that wasn't red. I got some pic's that I will try to find but they weren't great and Photobucket is likely still holding them for ransom:confused:
     
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Hmmmmm.....no pic.....:sherlock:

    :heidi:

    :rofl: :lol:

    :salute:

    Chit happens, right?:yes:
     
    Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  6. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    No chit, no pic!
     
    Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  7. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    South end of Mazinaw Lake on Hwy.41 by the marina
     
    Backwoods Savage, XXL and Eric VW like this.
  8. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I might have passed you. I was through there on Friday afternoon and again yesterday morning heading to and from the cottage. I see lots of wild turkeys in that area but I will keep an eye out for the grey fox.

    Heading back through there again today as I am working near Arnprior this week.
     
    Backwoods Savage and rottiman like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I've only seen red fox here in MI.
     
  10. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Believe it or not but my wife and I seen one of your foxes this afternoon on my way to the cottage. Exactly where you said by the marina south of Bon Echo. This one wasn't grey but pure black with a white tail tip. Looked like a immature cross fox so maybe from the same litter. Didn't get a picture as there was traffic.

    Funny as I was through there several times over the past few weeks. And hundreds of times over the years. Only the second one I have seen in all my years travelling. Between work truck/personal vehicle and rentals I average about 60,000 miles a year.
     
    Chaz, Backwoods Savage and rottiman like this.
  11. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Heading past there again early tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get another look as em'