In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Ride..................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jan 28, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    on the sleds will be coming up, whatever we have for snow in the lane will get packed down. The county trails are not that good, (lack of snow) so I'm not sure how many spots we'll hit.

    We'll see if we can run the trail to the Sugar Maple, if we can keep those packed down, maybe we'll tap some trees this year.
     

    Attached Files:

    Buzz Benton, Gark, tfdchief and 5 others like this.
  2. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Nice pics Zap.. Looks like lots of animal life around the area as well!

    Have fun on the trails!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    I hope to take a rip on the sled sometime tomorrow afternoon......take a look at my trails through the woods over on the farm and eye up what trees I plan on possibly tapping over there. It looks like a favorable long-term forcast for maple sugaring next month here, not so much for sledding unfortunately......
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  4. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    thewoodlands = Zap...Who knew!!
     
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I can't wait. Strap on the gopro, and post some vids....:smoke:
     
    AmarilloSlim likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The herd looks good even though it's been a tough winter, I counted 35 pounding the hills after the rain did away with the ice & snow on the west facing hills.

    The turkey I don't even count anymore, the most I ever counted (3 years ago) was 65-70, what a pain in the azz they can be. The pic I posted, they're always over in that area.
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll put that on next years list for Santa. :thumbs: The wind is trucking along pretty good, gust up to 38 mph, I hope the trails don't have anything big on them.
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF

    Anything big, like what, killer jumps? I got a go pro for Matt (my son) for Christmas. I'm hoping to use the thing soon....
     
  9. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    GoPro is a great camera...But every accessory is way overpriced IMHO!
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    AccuWeather is calling for 4 - 8 inches of snow from Saturday morning through Saturday night, that would help the trails big time.

    They've been wrong on snow totals all winter, we'll see on this one.
     
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Does the Lakes freezing over effect your snowfall?
    Looks to be warming up for you, that means snow sometimes :)
     
  12. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I hope you get those higher numbers woody....
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We can get the Lake Effect off of Lake Ontario, this year the snow has stayed well south of us.

    I hope we get it too, but the way this winter is going we'll get the lower amount. We'll be running the sleds back on our property first, after that I'm not sure.

    It seems we have a few storms coming in by next weekend, I would love to put the saws up for the rest of the winter an hit the trails.

    What, no reverse? o_O Moose Attack

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Lawrence-County-Snowmobile-Association/302689549760636
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We finally took our first ride, we started on our property first. We went around on our trails twice to pack them down, after that we took off for the state park to ride the trails, after that we hit some of the county trails (need snow) most were fair but there were a few spots that I would rate poor because of the lack of snow.

    Pic 8532 is on our property, pic 8533 is at the state park looking at the boat ramp area, 8534 is another pic at the state park, the rest of the pics are from the area we turned around at & came back, we were riding on the county trails, need snow big time.

    I'm thinking we only went 25 miles total, once we get the snow we'll make a nice long run.
     

    Attached Files:

    Buzz Benton, tfdchief, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  15. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    Its 40° here and we're losing our snow fast......Going to take the sled over to the farm and get a load of wood out before we have no snow left.

    Woody you've got about as much snow as we do.......what a pathetic winter in terms of snow this year....
     
    Chvymn99 and thewoodlands like this.
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That's for sure S.O., we're about to get hit with some snow, so the next ride will be with the snow falling. The sleds ran great so that made us very happy, after running them through the woods a ways we shut them odd in the area in pic 8359, the wife was able to start her own so that was nice.

    On our way back we met two other sleds, not many people out. By the looks on the radar, Loons getting snow already.

    They say 3-5 for this area, we're at 37 degrees, they've been so far off on snow totals this year I won't hold my breath on this weather report coming true.
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  17. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    I'm glad someone is riding their sleds
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's just started to snow, nothing big yet but we'll take the full five inches of snow.

    At the state park they have two sides, one for sleds and the other for x country skiing, they have the signs screwed up (which side you ride on ) in three different places, we saw the person who does the grooming so my wife mentioned it to the person, she said we've known about it for three days but still need to change them. :confused:
     
    Scotty Overkill and Jack Straw like this.
  19. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks like an awesome time. Great views! I think you'll get some snow in the next week or 2. Hopefully you don't get the warm-up that we have going on. Around 40°F right now. Things are melting.
     
    thewoodlands and Scotty Overkill like this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The temps are dropping, we were at 37 today, it's at 34 going down to 27 tonight. I went for a second spin, only for 5 miles, I made some new trails on our property then went for a small ride on the county trail down the road.

    When I headed down the road to the county trail it started snowing some, by the time I came home it was snowing pretty good.
     

    Attached Files: