In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First chainsaw experience, considering purchasing one - next steps?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by BeantownBurner, Apr 9, 2018.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

You forgot about a square filed chain.

leoht, wildwest, Barcroftb and 4 others like this.
  2. M2theB

M2theB

I thought you were a block from the Warren Tavern in Charlestown.
    Your on the edge of the wilderness, close to JP!

If you want travel west a little more, like an hour down the Pike, I'd be glad to have some company.

leoht, wildwest, Barcroftb and 3 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Welcome.

I have a couple of husqvarna saws about the same size 40cc, and bar length 16in. You can saw through a 30 in tree with 16in saw. I've had them for over 25yrs.

Why husky? I like my local power shop that services them, every couple of years.

Find a reputable dealer and get what they carry.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

leoht, wildwest, Barcroftb and 2 others like this.
  4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I think you have gotten some awesome advice so far! It comes down to philosophy of use really. The scenario you describe would fit a 50cc saw with 16-20 inch bar and chain. Perfect 1 saw plan for you.

Down the road if you found you liked running saws you could have a go at a 3 saw plan by adding a smaller saw and a larger saw to the mix. Most in this 3 saw plan scenario end up with something like a 35cc, a 50cc, and a 70cc saw. Lighter saw for limb work bigger saw for bigger trees. Plus back up if you manage to pinch a bar and don't feel like taking the bar and chain off and putting your spare bar and chain on to fix your mistake. You are planning on having a spare bar and chain right? Might be a good idea.

As far as brand goes. Visit a few dealers and pick which one you like the best. Dolmar/makita, echo, stihl, and husky all make great saws, but that doesn't mean anything if the saw breaks down and the dealer is crap. Also don't be afraid to ask here if you need help. Plenty of gooder guys here ready to pitch in and help out!

Take cnice_37 up on his solid offer. Perfect opportunity to run a few different saws.

5. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I'm an Echo guy, I've had stihl and still have a husky, but my scrounging lineup is a 50 cc echo and two 60 cc echos.
    Two have 20" bars, one has a 24" bar.
    I'm an hour north of you in Haverhill, and I doubt the scrounging scene is much different from around here.

I use local Facebook pages and craigslist to find my trees. Most of the time people beat me to the easy stuff , under 14", but don't have the desire to tackle larger trees. I get my best wood from second offers, where other people have taken the easy stuff and then didn't come back.

I keep the 20" bar on my "small" saw because I think it is easier to limb without having to kneel or bend over as far. The 20" bar gives me more reach.

I have a 40 cc 18" Echo CS400 I would sell for $205, it's cut a few trees, but is too small for me and my normal scrounges .

M2theB, leoht and amateur cutter like this.