In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood prices during this inflation

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Perry long jr, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Dstrick

Dstrick

Propane was $1.75/gal January 2021
    Propane is $2.95/gal @ 91,500 BTU/gallon Jan 2022
    Doug fir was $320/cord @ 26,500,000 BTU/cord
    Doug fir should now be $537/cord. Maybe $500 even.
    If I ever get more fir, maybe in the next few months, the price will likely be much higher.

2. EODDiver

EODDiver

What is a cord worth at this current price for natural gas?

3. Dstrick

Dstrick

It won’t beat natural gas price except free wood you do all the work for. Except the government in PNW is banning gas in all new construction starting soon. That will make wood a very cost effective solution. Except the government will mandate only EPA stoves may be used. And then only on Tuesday and Thursday.

Seriously though a cord of Doug fir in PNW would have to go for $200 to be even with natural gas. Propane heating cost is equal to or in some cases more expensive than electricity heating right now. Even in high efficiency furnaces. And forget oil furnaces. Most expensive overall.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got natural gas, which isn't to bad in price, but I can definitely tell in the electric bill when the furnace was on. The blower would suck down the electricity. Now I only run the furnace at least once a year for a bit to make sure it runs. The rest is taking care of by the wood.

5. EODDiver

EODDiver

Some of my best customers in the Nashville area heat with electric systems. Very expensive even with the lower electricity rates in TN. The big green plan is to run everything with electricity provided by solar and wind; therefore, the natural gas ban on new construction. Then ban wood burning so there is no competing option. Luckily, TN doesn't play all these games. Nuclear, coal, and natural gas power this state with a lot of 100% wood burners in the more rural areas. As of this morning natural gas is up 177% in the past year, coal 316%, even uranium is up 58%. Firewood prices?

6. EODDiver

EODDiver

Educating our customers with this info might allow us to increase firewood prices while showing it is still a bargain compared to other heating sources.

7. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Not to get too far off track....we do the same....run the gasser 2 or 3 times annually.
    Part of the savings that I never figured out, was the blower use all month.
    Electricity in CT is outright sodomy.
    Sca

8. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

Inflation is killing this country, it’s hurting the weight bearing man. The rich keep getting richer and poor keep getting poorer. I’m trying my best to get all the wood I can get cut and stacked, try to buy food in bulk if possible. I believe dark times are ahead. This administration doesn’t have an answer but to keep spending and sending money across seas. I have three kids all in there early teens and to think what kind of future they will have to look forward to is scary.

9. EODDiver

EODDiver

T.Jeff Veal and Perry long jr like this.
  10. EODDiver

EODDiver

Sold a cord of white oak yesterday to a guy that has been watching energy prices. He wanted to get ahead of the price increases he knows are coming for firewood this winter. $720!!!! My new trailer saved me about $90 in diesel and six hours of driving by making one trip instead of three. I had to purchase a trailer for hauling my mower around anyway, but went longer and with duel axles so I could easily haul a cord in it. Now I can sell 4 ricks (1 in the truck 3 in the trailer) in one trip when orders go crazy in November.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

AWESOME! :makeitrain" Dinners on you!

Sirchopsalot and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  12. EODDiver

EODDiver

0CFC50D2-C63F-445C-B88A-077B93832A1F.jpeg
    Natural gas hit $9.16 a MMBTU this morning. And May is normally a low price month for nat. gas. I keep ahead on all my maintenance and consumables, but plan on purchasing more this week because higher firewood prices mean all the necessary stuff to produce it with will increase also. Instead of gallons, I will be buying cases of bar and chain oil.

13. ole

ole

I sold the last of my ready wood yesterday at $80 face cord. After that started to restock my for sale wood. I am bumping my price to $90 a face cord. I do not deliver customer must pick it up.

974C78D3-1FE2-4CD5-9552-93E0B467EA55.jpeg

14. EODDiver

EODDiver

Maybe I am too paranoid, but ordered a solar powered wifi security camera this morning on Amazon to keep watch on my wood yard. Was reading some articles about firewood theft in Europe since energy prices are multiples higher there than here. Figure a $98 system to watch my 25K wood pile makes sense.

15. billb3

billb3

I just checked locally and it seems the major players are still charging the same prices they have for the last 5 years.
    $100-125 for pine
    $200 for green hardwood
    $225-250 for "seasoned" hardwood.
    No one is mentioning what they are charging for delivery. I can't see anyone driving very far without a separate fuel charge at those prices.

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  16. Rich L

Rich L

The guy I some times deal with went up $50.00/cord.I'm sure he'll go higher before winter.Heating oil here is 5-6 dollars a gallon.Come winter no telling what they'll want.

17. EODDiver

EODDiver

Bought two cases of bar and chain oil today at my local Rural King store. Was $1 more than my last purchase 10 days ago. Also noticed there was only six cases remaining after I loaded my cart. Normally there is a hundred or more cases. Think there are a lot of folks intending to cut firewood for this upcoming winter.

Rich L, brenndatomu and thewoodlands like this.
  18. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I grabbed 2 of the 3 gallons from tsc.
    There usually 10 or better.
    Funny enough, while gallons were $12, quarts were $5.46.
    Im almost through with 2G this year maybe I'll use one more.
    But there is enough of that in the shed for my forseeable cutting future.
    Sca

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

How is your camera working for you? Could I get a link? I want a camera on our wood too for the same reason, theft. Also one on my soon to be chicken coop to ensure they all make it inside before the automatic door closes.

Rich L likes this.
  20. EODDiver

EODDiver

I returned my $98 wifi security camera to Amazon yesterday. The resolution was 1080 and didn't have a zoom feature. I placed two license plates 15' and 30' away from the camera. Could barely make out the numbers on the closer one and nothing on the further. Couldn't make out my image at all when walking at the wood yard. My wood yard is about 100 yds from my house along my entrance road. So ordered a 5mp 30X zoom camera that arrives tomorrow. $180 with a $25 coupon. Figured a security camera is worthless if you can't id a vehicle, plates, or a face. I do have a motion sensor along my 2,100' entrance road that rings an alarm inside the house. It is solar powered and has been working well (if not overcast for more than a day) for four years. If the zoom camera doesn't cut it, I'll probably buy a game type of camera and mount it near the wood yard. I'll provide a review on the new camera in the next few days.

wildwest, WinonaRail and Rich L like this.