In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood Abuse!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Apr 17, 2021.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

A hoarder.

That was close enough to drive the tractor down to it.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Dang i didnt think of that. Go get it!

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I might have to stop and see what the story is.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  4. Timberdog

Timberdog

That’s one more reason I cut, SPLIT, and STACK asap—it drives a wooden stake into the heart of the procrastination monster. That monster is not only effective, it is also seductive, persuasive, and tempting.

5. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Lot of wasted energy on the part of whoever stacked it.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Nailed it.
    'Course knowing we have competition out there might inform our decision making regarding the next roadkill score. I like a little competition.
    Sca

buZZsaw BRAD and theburtman like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Across the street from yesterdays cut. Rounds turning into compost. IMG_2085.JPG

8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I guess when some people find out how much work goes into making firewood they quit when just getting started. So, the rounds rot away.

9. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

But "I'm a pioneer and survivalist because I have rounds ready to burn in my back yard, and an 8' rack of splits out front. We're hardcore here, ready for anything".

I reckon that this heating season will be a bit telling for the many one-chop-wonders out there, (above) thinking they'll just wander out back and split it real quick if the power goes out. . .

10. billb3

billb3

Maybe it's a veteran struggling and having a hard time.
    Maybe it's a single mom with a couple of kids and that's as far as they've gotten.
    Maybe someone died.

Course, that's not as much fun as mocking, degrading a conveniently imaginary person and situation.
    This thread is actually rather pathetic and I hope it does not represent the more usual helpfulness, spiritual generosity and mindfulness of the average FHC community.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Ohio likes this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I believe you are exactly right!

Mag Craft and MikeInMa like this.
  12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I think this thread has some merit to it. It is about wood that is going to waste that people could use to heat their homes especially now when things have become so expensive.
    I have not seen any personal attacks on anyone and let's face it life is about choices and not everyone makes good decisions.

The making and gathering up of firewood is hard work and not everyone is up to the task.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

...or as crazy as some of us here! :loco: :crazy: :rofl: :lol:

Very well put Roger. The thread was not directed at anyone in particular, just for some fun and laughs.

IME i get folks wanting to keep the wood for future use, not knowing it has a limited "shelf life" when left that way. I share my knowledge where i can. Some of that knowledge thanks to FHC!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Mag Craft and MikeInMa like this.
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Maybe elm?

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    :doh:

:picard:
    :D

buZZsaw BRAD and MikeInMa like this.
  15. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Welp, yeah, perhaps a bit of pride on my part...I repent.

I also was a one chop wonder once. Tree guys cut wood near my apartment(30+years ago now) they gladly brought it over for me. I chopped some of it, gave some away, but had to be told to remove the rest, and at that, I had to borrow a trailer and haul it off. I thought I was all that: big piles of rounds, out there manning it up splitting, and then really not much more after that.
    I reckon folks get in the same spot, and let it sit an rot after loosing interest.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It’s wood literally grows on trees!! Life happens priorities change. I’ve had some rot; teenagers got injured in sports. Big job showed up not doing it on snow shoes.. then bonfire 788526C4-D48F-4846-A70E-92E9296F0AAA.jpeg

back tires on Bota are 4 feet high anyway

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Another case of abuse. Wood customer who I've become friends with. Lives right down the street from me and lets me store black locust there. I was splitting there today and noticed this oak I sold him is going bad. Sapwood is punk and heartwood meat not too good. :picard: I stacked it there Fall 2019. :eek: He had asked to buy unsplit rounds at the time and I obliged with several PU fulls. I've helped him a couple times in the past on it, but he only likes to split less than an hour. I've offered to split and stack for him which he refuses. I do help with other things when he needs me. IMG_5617.JPG I think I stacked them on sleepers luckily.

IMG_5618.JPG

18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Do you think when he finally gets to burning it he’ll chew you out for selling him “subpar wood” ?
    :picard:

MikeInMa, brenndatomu, John D and 2 others like this.
  19. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I am as guilty as anyone else. As a hoarder, I often gather more wood than I can handle. I end up with piles of rounds. Small logs and branches. Shorts and uglies strewn around on the forest floor. All good BTU’s that are getting converted to compost by insects and fungus. I’m finally getting caught up with this. While this wood will likely never make it inside, I can use it for outdoor fires or to burn stump piles. I’m using a 10’x10’ temporary shed to stockpile 3ish cords of this wood. Some of the pine I split was sitting for 4 years and pretty much disintegrated when put on the splitter. Wood stacked and rotting, while unfortunate, is no different than a vacant house with a leaky roof or an old tractor in a field with trees growing around it. Something of value that the owner does not have the time or inclination to salvage or restore. The beauty is of these piles of rotting wood is that they, in some small way, represent the private property rights that we hold (or should hold) dear in this country. No government or home owners association is attempting to force someone to do something with this wood. And if the person chooses, he or she can let it go and and provide nutrients for the next generation of trees. Here’s my progress in the temp shed.
    F38C31ED-364E-423E-9B54-6FFB1F0E78F5.jpeg

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

He is the type wood is wood and it burns. I think he became a newbie when he bought the house and started using the wood stove. I honestly think he burns maybe a cord a year at best. He works in NYC and stays down there often so not home enough.

Once his current supply is used (he is three years ahead IMO) I may offer to supply him with a CS wood and stack for him too. His stacks are painful to look at PLUS maybe I can get more storage there. I cram nearly five cords of BL into one bay of his four bay carport.

John D and Eric Wanderweg like this.