In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood 4 Sale

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Kimberly, Oct 3, 2016.

1. HDRock

HDRock

:rofl: :lol:

Reminds me of this

milleo, Horkn and raybonz like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Do we need one?

Crayons and tequila FTW!!!!

milleo, raybonz and Eric VW like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

At least you got your answers of why your snow gets colored every winter!!!

raybonz likes this.
  4. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

In the pickup if it's tossed in a long bed and mounded up a little it will stack out to a half cord as long as there are not any gaping holes underneath. The wood looks like it has just been split. A lot of guys I have noticed cut the wood to length and leave it in the round then split it right before they load it up. If you are lucky it's semi wet wood. But for $60 what do you really expect. If you want oak that is really dry and seasoned you will pay at least $150 for that load or more. The guy probably doesn't sell that much wood. The big truck is a typical flat bed I see around here. They call it a cord but when you stack it out it will be short but close. I can't see the wood very well but if you can get that for $100 it will probably be semi wet as well. If you get it and it's really seasoned, let me know and I will send some trucks to get all the guy has at that price. Where in VA is this?

raybonz likes this.
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I never talked to the guy. I do have a moisture meter for checking. Up near the Va/NC state border.

6. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

It's hard to estimate tossed wood. I would say the pick up is a generous face cord and truck about 3/4 cord.

This trailer will hold two face if neatly stacked and 24" plywood side rails are in place.

This is exactly a measured face cord loose thrown in a 6 x 10' trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

milleo, Eric VW and raybonz like this.
  7. clay shooter

clay shooter

wood over here is getting very dear to buy,looks like the same over there.

raybonz likes this.
  8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Often if I see a truck selling wood its just a 3/4 or 1 ton that may have wood risers on the sides of the truck bed and everything is stacked pretty well. Awhile back I used to see more people put out "cords" that were in a trailer and accomodated a price based on the size of the trailer. The trailer I use now is 3/4 of cord. I used it a bit when my parents built their garage and my brother split a huge amount(to us at the time!), probably about 5-6 cord. Sold about 2/3 of that to my aunt who burned wood for heat. Back then it was just considered ok to let the wood dry a bit then you got to it when you burned the drier stuff up. Kinda funny though but my aunt is a bit of an environmentalist, gardens well and all that but when it came to wood, she just burned it. Never got a moisture meter (at least not from my perspective she didn't) and this woman burned quite a bit of wood living in an old house minus the insulation. Loved it when fires were going though. Just kind of amazes me that someone who burned wood for that long didn't have a few tips and tricks about it. She had a Fisher then it was replaced with something else more efficient I believe.

Now Im much more informed 16 years later. The biggest thing Ive learned is to just be patient. LET IT SEASON! If the wood was free then patience will pay off even more. Even all this wood gathering has given me a bit of reason that selling some of this wood is feasible. Even though I did get it for free, my time and equipment used to split it is not. But Im going to have a hard time putting a price to it because I don't have a mode of transportation of wood that is exactly a cord and half cords wouldnt be feasible more than 10 miles.
    You wonder when you drive around and see someone selling wood and they use that for every day driving, great advertising but unless they sell what is in the truck every day, its not worth hauling it around wouldn't you say?

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    milleo and raybonz like this.
  9. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

A while back I posted the pic of a face cord in a 6 x 10 trailer tossed in loose. It really bothers me people robbing those that don't know what cord wood should look like. Below is a face cord of black walnut loose tossed into an 8' box. I see people all the time with short box truck and even the pathetic 5 1/2' boxes claiming it's a face cord.

[​IMG]

HDRock, Eric VW, milleo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am guessing they won't wait for you to stack it and prove their claim. So that is a full size pickup truck bed?

11. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Yes F250 with an 8' box.

Eric VW and FatBoy85 like this.
  12. milleo

milleo

Blaspheme...Don't be selling none of ya wood....:eek:

Eric VW likes this.
  13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Really? Even if I have to pay bills?

raybonz likes this.
  14. milleo

milleo

Figure out another way to pay bills...Your wood is gonna keep you warm even if the power company turns off your electricity....

15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yes it is but i live in a warmer climate than you and wood is CONSTANTLY Being given away around herep. This year was no exception. There are at least 3 sources of heating wood to which I almost stop by on a daily basis. The supply seems more than ample and the price is just right: "FREE", "Help yourself" and even the occasional "Back your car in, we'll load you up". The scrounge never seems to end and I don't want it to. Had I known that I had these sources, I would have put in my stove a long time ago. Thanks for listening.

16. milleo

milleo

Oh! Ok...Then carry on...:thumbs:

Eric VW, raybonz and FatBoy85 like this.