In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fireside Platinum coming to Home Depot :)

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by jtakeman, Oct 5, 2014.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

New pellet to keep an eye out for at you local HD stores. 100% softwood and is another Energex product in the rebagged form. I believe its the Energex Gold.

Fireside Platinums.JPG = 100SoftwoodGoldenPelletSuperPremium.png

Supposed to be priced approx $30 more per ton than the standard FSU

will711, imacman and ttdberg like this.
  2. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Wow, these look interesting! There has been some talk of an energex 100% softwood product around here for two years, but so far it has not materialized at any local stores. Curious that these will be marketed at HD. Will be interesting to see how well they sell, considering what I have seen at my local stores, where folks only seem to want hardwood pellets! It seems like this product would do much better at a pellet house, but only time will tell!

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm not sure how they will go over at the HD's. But the person that gave me the tip on them has said they put the "Longer burn times than hardwood" to get people thinking. I didn't have a heart to tell em the fiber species doesn't make a difference, It is the compression(bulk density) that seems to be the biggest culprit on burn time!

All the local pellet dealers/houses near me only have the hardwoods. I asked and one said they probably won't push them. But I am hoping one might get some soon. Seeing they are shy on orders due to the crunch. They might get some of these??? Fingers crossed.

I'm gonna swing by HD tonight to see if I can get lucky. But I highly doubt I will see any soon.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    newbinct, IHATEPROPANE and ttdberg like this.
  4. imacman

imacman

Go to the service desk or Home & Garden center....ask them if they can pull up any upcoming orders on the register/computer. It works for me in Lowes.....maybe HD can do the same.

newbinct likes this.
  5. will711

will711

I sure would like to see some down here :thumbs:

ttdberg, jtakeman and eatonpcat like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yea yea, Blah- blah. But I can get Okies, La Crete's, North Country and so on any day of the week! :p

ttdberg likes this.
  7. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Well I have Friday off and two HD's near me......May have to have a looksy.

8. will711

will711

True, but you don't want to be the high $$$ for those :bug: That's why you shop for the Hottest ,Cheapest pellets at the big boxes like the rest of us :whistle:

DexterDay and jtakeman like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I knew my plan had a hole in it!

I hope I actually see these at one point. Been wanting to try them just outta curiosity. The Stove Chow and FSU are a good decent pellet. I would expect these to be as well!

will711 likes this.
  10. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Interesting. But I will say, last season I was running my stove on LOW, burning softwoods, and ended up with a nasty buildup in my jet cap. Obviouse the extreme cold caused creosoot and such to CONDENSE in the cap. Well, guess what happened.......:eek:

Only happened last 18" section, exposed outside. So im a little off on softwood right now.

11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Low and slow can sometimes do it depending on stove/install. Most of the pellet vent fires I have heard about were also low and slow burners. I have seen some stove manuals recommending the user turn the stove to high for a period to help eliminate the build up. Member krooser had a warning label(or something) on his St. Croix stating to burn it on high IIRC.........

I've seen it happen with hardwoods. So its not just a softwood thing. With either you should crank it up to help reduce this. Or let the stove cycle to off on a higher settings.

12. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Over 10 years without a problem, but I know where I was mostly to blame.

#1 I didn't get my usual mid winter cleaning in.
    #2 MUCH COLDER than normall, created the condensing condition.
    #3 Considerable time on low burn, with lower flue temp, including softwoods, contributing to #2

I doo have softwoods left. Ill make sure to burn those at a higher setting . Also, my brother with same stove, short pipe, no issues at all with softwoods, since he always runs on a medium to high setting.

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Glad you caught it before it became a disaster!!

14. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Funny thing is there was NOTHING but ASH in the rest of the pipe. It was only the jet cap that was creosoted up. Should of taken a picture. I think the way the cap pulls fresh, COLD air in and mixes with exhaust to lower the exit temperature was a major contributing factor also.

And again, it only happened this year, never in previouse 10+ years.

Live and Learn.

Lousyweather likes this.
  15. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

its a great point, Iron.......many folks totally neglect that jet cap....we often see stoves that wont run because the jet cap is creosooted up.......I find when folks post in here it to be very helpful to others....heck, I learn best from my own mistakes, and there's many of them.....:doh:

jtakeman and will711 like this.
  16. will711

will711

Well said :thumbs:

17. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Energex just got back to me and said the Platinums will not be sold in PA....guess I have to look for the Goldens somewhere!

jtakeman likes this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I was also told they are going to the western region where softies are better excepted. Seems the box stores in the North East are hard headed with the hardwoods and aren't ordering softies. Some don't feel they can easily move them like the current hardwood brands they are marketing.

My local house doesn't feel the Golds are worth stocking. He'd rather keep the space for the BC stuff which markets well. So I'm still looking for a Energex dealer in my area that might carry them. Still no luck as all I can find are the Energex Americans, But with the crunch and shortage maybe they except some as they get skimpy on the other brands?

Lousyweather likes this.
  19. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

A place...somewhat close by (hour away).....had the Goldens last year and I almost roadtripped but then didn't......I'm going to keep looking I guess.

will711 likes this.
  20. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

oh, please Jay.....are you alluding to the fact that the Big Boxes ARENT actually in the forefront of pellet knowledge and techknowhow? :jaw: