In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally pulled the trigger...

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Barcroftb, May 4, 2021.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's nuts! If the layout of this house was better for a stove, I'd be so tempted to try one of these lil monsters...but this place is a much better wood furnace house...oh well, potatoe potahto :thumbs:
    85* is getting close...90+ would have completely rang the bell though! :rofl: :lol: :dennis:

2. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Yeah if we weren’t going to bed I would have had to open a window. I don’t tolerate heat all that well. Steady 70-75 is perfect. Once winter hits it will be a piece of cake.

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

Little too warm for us in that case. My our furniture is 7’-8’ from the stove. Stove sits in the middle of 14’x32’ room with kitchen approximately 13’x13’ forming an “L” shaped open room. Stove in middle of large room on the wall, which puts it exiting peak of roof.

Middle of winter I could live with 80, but not above 25F.

This house seems to do well down to 25F. Below that the furnace would run on cycles where it would be off for only 20 minutes. Down to zero that time is 10 minutes or less.

With the stove we need low heat output until it gets below 25. Since I’m currently burning anthracite...and burning absolute minimum or just a jag lower...that would mean I’m burning about 12,500 to 13,500 btu’s/hr...which is the btu amount per/lb of anthracite. In October and November, and often in December that btu amour is still too high for this house, so something lower would be nice.

That’s lowest I have burned with anthracite is .8lbs/hr...or 19.2lbs/day of anthracite. That was last years total average also. That’s less than half a bag.

With that example, I have never burned...even in sub-zero temperature...more than 30lbs (still less than a full bag) in a single 24hr period.

So, with the above information I need somewhere between wood BTU’s (approx 7000btu/on) and “slightly more” than anthracite BTU’s/lb.

I have yet had the time to sit down and figure what “slightly more” means. It’s not much I don’t think. Maybe someone here can help. The number is about ten pounds less than a bag of anthracite. That info should help me nail down a great wood stove choice.

EDIT: Sorry guys. Didn’t mean to derail the thread. Should have put this in its own thread, maybe.

I just thought since the question was asked about the AS being to big too big for 1350 sqft that I’d try and help you make that determination with my specific info.

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

No worries on my end bud…:handshake:

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Any reviews or observations yet on the really cold nights Brad?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

So far, and it’s early yet as we’ve only had a couple cold spells, but I’ve only been loading it 2/3rds full 3 times a day. The Drolet was in the 6-8 times a day range. Next step will be more insulation in the attic. We do have cathedral ceilings so there is quite a bit of air volume to heat in the house. I’m very impressed so far!

7. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I’ll also add that the house temperature has been much more even as well. With the Drolet I’d have to run the stove real hot before bed to build the house temp up to around 85-90 so the furnace (set at 64) wouldn’t kick on in the morning before I got up. Now I’m able to keep the temperature to within 5 degrees +/- of 75. That’s perfect. Any warmer and I start to sweat. Any colder and Jaclyn starts to get cold.

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Loading 6-8 times / day!?! :bug:

9. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

The 8 would be only a couple times a year. For right around zero degrees and lower. That 6-8 is a bit misleading as what I would do is at around 8:30pm I’d load the stove and let it chooch until about 10:30-11:30 and reload right before bed. But would wake to a cold stove/house @ 6am with some coals to relight in the morning.

Now I load at bedtime and wake to a warm house/stove not really needing a relight until around 8-9am. Then I’ll reload at around 4-5pm and again at bedtime. This is all with just white ash for firewood which is 95% of what I have to burn.

10. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Not a great picture but I bought myself a little Christmas present. It’s a warp 5 stirling engine stove fan. Not the greatest picture but this thing runs nonstop… 189D30CA-E6E2-4BAF-B894-61B64C9E81C4.jpeg

11. RGrant

RGrant

That's such a neat looking fan

12. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I’ve always been fascinated with stirling engines and have wanted a stove fan based on one for a long time. I could never justify the cost but heck it’s such a nice stove I figured why not! I went through 2 eco fans with the Drolet Austral. I expect this fan to last the lifetime of the stove. It actually circulates a useable amount of air at around 320cfm.

here’s a couple better pics from the web 83961581-D255-409A-90E4-A3DE5DB77469.jpeg

B2B2F2A9-B08A-421E-8D10-1639FEA1C79E.jpeg

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s badazzed, Barcroftb!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Any chance you could take a quick vid?

14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Glad to hear your awesome experience with the IS. If I moved someday and had the space/setup for a free standing stove that would be my choice or the Progress Hybrid if $$ wasn't an object.

That fan is awesome!!!

15. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Now that is super cool. I like model engines as it is but having one perform a useful task is outstanding.

16. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

It sure is Steve. I almost built one from a kit. I may still someday when I have more free time to devote to such interests.

17. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I have some websites saved. You probably do too. Imma get one one day. Only so much hobby money one can spend. Currently you know where thats going. Saws, saws and more saws. Lol

18. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I think this should work…

Farmchuck, Loon, BCB and 6 others like this.
  19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yep! Awesome!!!

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Where did you buy this great piece from?