In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally have a Tandem Axel. What should I look out for?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by cigarsmokingzombie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. CDF_USAF

CDF_USAF

Yes , if loaading something heavy enough to lift the back of the truck, i.e. Another truck, you want something like that under the back of th trailer, or your truck can move/slide.

2. cnice_37

cnice_37

That's what I mean. Jack's near the back end if driving up say a tractor. The azz end wants to drop making the front of trailer lift off ball otherwise.

3. OC Timber

OC Timber

Wish I had a double axle. I'd load it twice as high:yes:. It should work great for ya.

Attached Files:

4. jo191145

jo191145

In my experience getting the right height was crucial. I use a newer Ram 2500 and it’s pretty solid in the butt end. That and everything’s computerized including the tranny.
    Trailer folks set me up with a new drop 2” lower than what I had. Used it for a bit and the trailer just handled funny. The trailer itself had height adjustments. Dropped it one more inch and all the quirky handling disappeared.

Well except once. My mom wanted a pallet of mulch. About six feet high. Had it loaded centered for weight as best as I could judge. Problem seemed to be the wobble the tall pallet underwent going down the highway. Seems like the tranny couldn’t find a sweet spot for the sensors because the load was swaying front to back causing the tranny to jerk exacerbating the problem.
    Now I drop half the bags down ;) :) No more confused transmission.

5. JPDavis

JPDavis

Tandem axle trailers seem to pick up more nails. That's the only bad thing I've personally experienced.

6. BCB

BCB

put some sidewalls on and you can stack higher. 7k# trailer, I wouldn't worry about overloading it. Just make sure your brakes are in good shape lol.

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Level is always right:handshake:

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Keep the tires at max air pressure.
    Grease the bearings.
    Spare tire, jack, lug wrench.
    Tongue jack with wheel (mounted on driver's side)

Looks like a good trailer, Zombie! :handshake:

9. ironpony

ironpony

what are you hauling it with? a truck? I would have it slightly nose up so if you load the truck you do not get a nose down situation, might want to start swaying.
    I run my dump trailer about 2 inches nose high, I have never had enough in it that it would squat my 3500 truck though.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Lots of good advice so far...just to make sure it's clear, when loading the trailer you want to make sure you always have good tongue weight. Basically just make sure the truck squats at least an inch or two after loading the trailer, you should be ok. If the tongue weight is "nuetral" or even negative, it will not tow nice...you'll get into a "tail wagging the dog" situation. If that ever happens (the trailer starts to sway side to side violently) just reach down and drag the trailer brakes a bit with the manual control on the brake controller...and this is without letting up on the gas or hitting the trucks brakes.

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

10 % tongue weight is the normal recommended weight. (7000# trailer = 700# on the ball)
    From the looks of that trailer, that should be no problem. The axles look like they are very far back.

A pic of the whole rig would be handy.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That Raptor seems to have pretty soft suspension so it is probably going to sag more than the average truck with a loaded trailer...no need to use the highbeams on the way home! :rofl: :lol:

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Great advice

Chaz, bear 1998, farmer steve and 3 others like this.
  14. B.Brown

B.Brown

Nice trailer, just don't stack wood as high as you can, unless you have some taller side boards on it. Get used to pulling it around corners, or, you'll be jumping curbs, not good. If you get some nice logs, have at least 2 , 4'' wide ratchet straps to tie them down with. Practice backing up with it, keep the bearings greased, part of owning a trailer, always do a ''walk around inspection'' before towing it, lights, hitch, tires, safety chains. Make things like this a habit, owning and towing a loaded trailer is a responsibility not to be taken lightly. Your going to really enjoy this trailer, plus, it'll save money on beating your pickup all to pieces.

Chaz, TurboDiesel, Boogeyman and 7 others like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Congratulations on the trailer, nice setup. Put some plywood sides on to cover open areas in side frames, don't want a random piece to come out going down the road. Lot of great advice from experienced folks here. Squat the truck a bit with the load, put heaviest over axles or slightly in front. If you stack green rounds tightly all the way on the trailer,you can probably overload it. Don't bend an axle...
    And remember it won't stop as fast. Take your time, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Chaz, TurboDiesel, Chvymn99 and 6 others like this.
  16. cigarsmokingzombie

cigarsmokingzombie

Thanks for all the advice. I did test the weight today. Seemed to haul ok with the Ford Raptor.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. imwiley1

imwiley1

Lots of great advice. Learnimg how it handles and stops while loaded is crucial for safety. That and watch out for friends that always want to borrow it.

Chaz, TurboDiesel, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  18. farmer steve

farmer steve

Try telling that to bear 1998.:hair: :rofl: :lol:

Chaz, Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  19. GrJfer

GrJfer

I think you have plenty of weight loading left. This is my 5x14 single axel #3500 with I load of hickory.
    IMG_20181202_105253.jpg

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's some big rounds, CSZ. Nice to be able to roll them on, instead of lifting or noodling and then lifting. Rolls off easy too. Do you have a cant hook? They come in handy.

farmer steve, Chaz, Hellcat and 2 others like this.