In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally got me a hookaroon!

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Old Nate, Oct 13, 2021.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I learned to do something similar, I would pick up a round with the tongs, tuck it under my left arm and grab another with my right

2. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Two pairs of tongs work great , one in each hand helps keep you balanced.
    Kind of like carrying a 5 gallon bucket in each hand , for me it is just as easy to carry one in each hand compared to carrying just one.

Horkn, Screwloose, PatrickNY and 6 others like this.
  3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Very nice stout looking "oxen head" hookaroon :yes:

4. Old Nate

Old Nate

Yeah I love it. I had no idea which would be best but thought this was the best of the bunch. Glad I got the one I got.

Horkn, Screwloose, PatrickNY and 4 others like this.
  5. Old Nate

Old Nate

I have the Log-Ox. Sometimes I use it to pick up rounds, but honestly it’s often just kind of cumbersome. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Horkn, Screwloose, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have one as well and don't know if I really care for it , maybe I should give it another try as well.
    I do like the Husky tongs though. Not nearly as heavy duty as the LogOx but they really do work well.

7. Old Nate

Old Nate

Yeah, I do t want to put down anyone’s business, hurt feelings, or damage someone’s livelihood but it’s a purchase I prob would take back.

Horkn, Screwloose, Jutt and 5 others like this.
  8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Can't disagree with that.
    It is nicely done but just didn't really do it for me.
    I don't know ; maybe it is just too long and clumsy , not really sure but it just didn't have that " WOW " factor.

Mine is just the log carrier part and not the whole can't hook setup.
    I'm kind of stuck with it now

9. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I have the log ox kit and a logrite (same as Stihl).
    LogOx carrier and cant hook/peavy configuration are just okay but the pickaroon seems heavy and clunky to me in comparison Logrite pickaroon.
    The logOx kit is good idea but for me it doesn’t perform as well as I expected.

Current carrying process for me is using a logrite pickaroon in one hand to drag a round to splitter and my tripod husky tongs in the other. The tongs one goes in the cradle and the other left on the ground and gets picked up by the pickaroon still stuck in it after tongs one is split and thrown in truck.

I mean to get a pulpwood/hay hook to try for moving splits from pile to truck eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. michaeln

michaeln

I bought the LogOx. I too found it worked well, but it was cumbersome and awkward for me. I sent it back to Amazon.

Now I have the same pickaroon the OP has and much prefer it. I think I am going to sharpen it some, as it often bounces off the ends of splits. I think it has too much yellow paint or powder coating on it.

11. Old Nate

Old Nate

after about the second time I used mine the yellow paint wore off the top (prob a good 1” plus). It definitely doesn’t stick into rounds I’ve had sitting for a while, but the fresh cut green stuff it bites pretty well!

Absolutely a great purchase in my opinion!

Horkn, Screwloose, PatrickNY and 3 others like this.
  12. dennish

dennish

Fiskars made in Finland. Gotta be the best!

Horkn, Screwloose, PatrickNY and 2 others like this.
  13. Old Nate

Old Nate

I’m sure the Fiskars hookaroon is great. Matter of fact I haven’t come across a Fiskars tool I don’t like, but it just looked a little light and short to me.

14. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

I have that same one. I ordered one from Garret Wade. It was back ordered and I got tired of waiting, so ordered this one on line. After 9 months the Garret Wade finally showed up, but I don’t like it near as well and it was double the price. It just doesn’t stick into the wood very well. Been working on reshaping the beak, but don’t have it right yet.

15. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

16. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

You will like more and more every year. sure saves on the back

17. dennish

dennish

With my Fiskars, unloading my F150 is a breeze.

18. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

For moving heavy stuff I prefer the Collin's, Dixie Pickaroon. For splits or small rounds on the ground, I prefer the Stihl pickaroon. For feeding the splitter , the Husqvarna hand tongs are close to perfect. And Great for certain things when handling poles. I generally don't pack rounds around. But the 1w" Husqvarna tongs would be great for that I'm sure.
    But, I NEVER even think about anything firewood related without my pulp hooks.
    Standard , Canadian style is the best for all around. I prefer the Peavey 606 Favorite for loading and unloading trucks with 32" or longer wood.
    When doing wood this past winter. I used the Canadian style pulp hook and the small size Husqvarna tongs. The hook goes in a steel hammer loop on the right side of my wedge belt. The tongs go in the wedge pouch on my left hip and my 35' Stanley tape goes in the pouch, with the belt clip attached to the outside of the pouch. In 25 cord this winter, I did not loose a hand tool and they were Always instantly available without having to take a step to get them working.

For unloading the truck or trailer with rounds or 5' and shorter wood the pickaroon is just the ticket for getting from the fender wells forward out , without having to climb up and in. Fewer steps = greater efficiency and production. For the same amount of exertion.

Screwloose, Jutt, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  19. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I also use up to a 12' long Pike Pole for certain tasks.

20. Jutt

Jutt

Really helpful thread. I’ve been using my X27 to help unload my PU but finally ordered a hookaroon (Woodchuck). I was also curious about the LogOx stuff. And I didn’t know the Husky tongs existed. Will probably pick up some of those as well after seeing the feedback here.