In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally getting started on RickyBlazins Smoker

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by JB Sawman, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

I told john lay the logs out for the firewood hoarders to cut and i will barbecue for all of them
    hickory is the only dry smoker wood i have at the moment
    gonna burn osage and pine to get it real hot to burn it off first time cooking will be hickory… got lots of white oak, hickory, red oak, and cherry drying for next season

2. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

What a great build, thanks for sharing! Where are you sourcing the metal from?

I am tinkering with building my own smoker, BUT I think am just taking on too much. I have very very little experience and don't have all the right tools for the job.

I found a 1/4" pipe down in Maryland (about 2hrs) from me, I was going to pick up but having to chop all that up with an angle grinder, sourcing/buying the metal for the end caps, welding it all into place, again I think I am just taking to much with something like the below.

Ideally I am looking for a thick air compressor with end caps, I can wrap me head around that more and make that work but finding one 3/16" inch thick is challenging but dang it I hate to pass that thick metal below, it's a hike to pick it up.

437348356_426642266742866_3168619639365805741_n.jpg

3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I will tell you it takes a lot of time I got the pipe from a farmer he was going to use it for a culvert . THe flat plate was sources from Moses Glick metals in Fleetwood Pa the sell by the pound they always have a great selection of used and salvage metals . the outlet pipe is 4 in truck exhaust pipe ,the elbows underneath were weld on 90' purchased from a plumbing supply I used stick for welding most of the pipe 6010 5/32 hinges and tubing welded with 7018 1/8 the 1/2 inch smoke shelf inside was welded with 7018 5/32 @15-20 # of rod the trailer was a salvage freebie from a customer of mine I had to weld a new tongue and hitch and it needed 1 new tire
    It is a lot of welding time and you need some kind of machine or a frame to lift everything but overall it is not to difficult if you can source salvage steel Oh I forgot the grate material for cooking was 3/4 x 9 expanded metal that was new and it was 200.00 a 4x10' sheet JB I almost forgot I have a 13' length of the 375 wall pipe left over I had to buy both from the farmer if you are interested JB

4. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks so much, great info!

I think I am in over my head with a pipe this size, I don't have the tools or skill.

JB Sawman, eatonpcat and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  5. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

The worst part is the lifting and measuring the welding part is the same for any size you really need a machine or gantry to lift and position the pipe Good Luck JB

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

UPDATE FROM THE NEWS ROOM !! Ricky blazin brought me over some chicken,sausage and stuffed peppers from the smoker last night sorry I ate them before pictures but it was delicious :drool::grizz: JB