In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Filson Upland Vest

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by HolsatiaRedneck, Mar 16, 2020.

1. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Anyone of you sporting a Filson Upland Vest or a different brand with similar fabrics?

fuv.jpg

FatBoy85, yooperdave, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have a Filson wool vest and a heavy, double caped Filson wool coat. A Cabelas brand vest similar to yours.

3. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Filson is good stuff.

For ruffed grouse hunting I wear a wool shirt, blaze orange fleece vest, and a day pack for birds, extra shells, fire starting gear, snacks/food, water, etc..

4. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Im thinking about to buy a Filson Upland Vest, its alot of money though. Seems very durable though but im tempted.
    Was wondering if theres someting similiar, still made in the USA or Canada for mabye 100 bucks less.

Thanks ill look into what Cabelas has to offer. Do you had any negativ expierience with the Filson stuff?

I reckon both Filson?

*edit: combined 3 posts in one.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Chaz, hovlandhomestead and metalcuttr like this.
  5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Never a problem with Filson. But then the items I own are older generation items kinda...well...like me!

6. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

No, but I know they are good and know a few folks who have them.

I have 4 made by Pendelton, 2 heavier Bemidji Woolen Mills, and a Johnson wool/jacket.

Chaz and HolsatiaRedneck like this.
  7. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Thanks for the advise, i reckon ill give Filson a chance to prove its reputation.
    Gonnae check those other brands, youve guys mentioned too.

I do like the Brand Woolpower, its Merinowool, i use it as an underlayer cant complain about it at all.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Chaz and hovlandhomestead like this.
  8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Since Pendleton shirts have gotten so expensive I have bought several of the better Woolrich shirts for hunting and general cold weather use. Have been very satisfied with the quality!

9. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Yes to the Woolrich. I forgot I have one of those as well. It is very durable, like the Bemidji Woolen Mill shirt...and more durable than the Pendleton's. I still like the Pendleton's for early season hunting, spring and summer fishing in the cool early mornings, and they are the perfect weight/warmth for the heated fish house, around the house and driving long distances in the dead of winter. You are right in that they have gotten expensive. I haven't purchased one in a few years and remember when they broached $100. I am not sure how much they are now.

Chaz, HolsatiaRedneck and metalcuttr like this.
  10. woody5506

woody5506

I really like Filson products but the business side of them could use some work. As much as I try not to hold everyone to "Amazon standards" of instant shipping and totally hassle free customer service, my most recent transaction with Filson was pretty unacceptable for how much they charge. Bought my wife one of their packer hats for Xmas, it was too big so I returned it. They have told me in the past it's faster to return an item, wait for refund then just buy the right size rather then sending it back as an exchange. It took me about 2.5 months to finally get my refund and a few inquiries to customer service. Again not the end of the world but come on, it was supposed to be a Christmas gift.

Chaz, metalcuttr and HolsatiaRedneck like this.
  11. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Thanks for the input guys, ill reckon i have to make up my mind about it.

12. CurDog

CurDog

I’ve got a good bit of carhartt briar gear (coat, shirt, vest, and jacket) that I’ve been very pleased with

metalcuttr, HolsatiaRedneck and Chaz like this.
  13. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Good call buddy, i think the jacket will do. Carhartt is available and not too pricey.
    You using the ole hound for hoghunting?

metalcuttr likes this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

I bought a filson tin cloth jacket, showed it to my son....and it stayed with him!

So... I bought another tincloth. these are some rugged jackets! I just re-applied oil-finish wax treatment to mine after 10 years and probably waited just a touch too long.

I also have one filson wool vest and one filson flannel shirt. Very nice.

Along with those, 2 Woolrich mackinaw wool jackets and 3 Woolrich wool shirts. 2 of those shirts are over 30 years old.

A set of wool bibs (malones) and a pair of wool pants (Swedish army surplus).

Various Carhart jackets pants and bibs.

There is no substitute for quality. The only thing I recommend, is wait until you are done "growing" before you invest in such a purchase.

The store I bought the filson goods from has quit selling their line as they have to buy a minimum and are priced too high for them.

15. woody5506

woody5506

Yeah it's tough with Filson if you don't have a retailer where you can go and try stuff on, even though their returns are free (they even include a return label with your order) it still can take a long time to actually process an exchange or in my last case, 2 and a half months to process a return which a gift card was used for. Seems like their stuff can run kinda big too. They do have a decent sale going on on their site right now.