In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Figuring out Hickory id

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chud, May 13, 2022.

  1. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,260
    Likes Received:
    54,106
    Location:
    NC
    Can be as difficult as oaks or pines
    The recent Hickory threads got me to wondering about a better way to id young Hickory before their bark takes on unmistakable identity. 5 years ago I bought some Shag, Mockernut and Pignut. After checking out leaf id on the different species I’m convinced the grower misidentified the seedlings or I somehow labeled the trees wrong. Shag is supposedly a slow grower. I have trees id’ed as Mockernut that have been slower growing than shag or pignut. The trees I have id’ed as pignut have too many leaflets, so I think they are Mockernut or Bitternut. Without the presence of nuts to use you can count the leaflets. Mockernut has 7-9 leaflets. Pignut will have 5-7, but usually 5. Another thing I noticed is Hickory growing in shade to partial sun will have bigger leaflets.
    In my area Pignut is most common and I occasionally see Mockernut. Hopefully this muddied the water some more on Hickory id.
    Mockernut with 8 leaflets
    BD0FE8E3-6EA9-4994-B4CE-C957AD08ACEE.jpeg
    Pignut 5 leaflets
    8896E538-7C5E-45E2-9440-61125D6243BC.jpeg
    Thanks for attending my Hickory Tedtalk