In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fermented foods

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by JackHammer, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Skier76

Skier76

Keep us posted TurboDiesel ! I need to try making it one day.

I enjoy kraut. I’ve found the stuff sold in the refrigerator case is a lot more flavorful. I think when it’s jarred, the process of making it shelf stable removes a lot of the probiotics and flavor.

We have a nice Asian market in town that sells the best spicy kimchi.

When it comes to pickles: Clausen. I’ve loved those since I was a kid. I actually saved a few jars with the brine after eating the pickles. I took some cukes from our garden and some Ball jar glass weights and put the cukes in back in the brine. Confession, I can drink that brine straight from the jar. My wife is never amused…

hovlandhomestead and FatBoy85 like this.
  2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Same. My lady works with a man who does it and I'm hoping to do it with quail eggs later.

3. Pricey106

Pricey106

I started fermenting a couple years ago. I do a pepper, onion and garlic ferment. The garlic is still crunchy after a year. I also do hot sauces and pickles. Last year I tried honey fermenting. I did garlic honey, and a jalapeno honey. The jalapeno honey was awesome, almost had a fruity taste to it. The garlic tastes like roasted garlic. I have yet to do sauerkraut, but have done a couple batches of kimchi.