In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Favorite Game Meat

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Dana B, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Dana B

Dana B

I am not a hunter but I do like to eat meat but am very concerned about the health aspects of consuming industrial farmed and factory processed beef pork, and poultry.

I recently found a store in southern NH that sells all kinds of game meat, buffalo, elk, rabbit, duck, kangaroo, turtle, alligator, ostrich, emu, they even had camel. I walked in to get some buffalo patties with my son and ended up also buying some duck bacon and a big rack of buffalo ribs. I've had buffalo burgers before but not buffalo ribs or duck bacon. Can't wait to try.

I didn't see any recent posts on favorite game meats so I thought I'd ask. What have you had? What's your favorite?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Chaz, leoht, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  2. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

We haven’t had the pleasure of trying LOTS of different game (yet) but Nick loves venison. He also said gator was good :bug: Now I gotta try that! There’s an Elk farm just a few miles from us and a restaurant in the nearest town serves their Elk (burgers) they are great btw :dex:
    We raise our own chickens to butcher and also have all the fresh eggs we can handle. Nick’s a lucky man (i tell ya) because he gets a big farm fresh breakfast every morning, he puts down 4 eggs! Plus all the ‘fixins’ yep, yep... loll
    I totally agree with you about how our food supply is factory farmed and loaded down with antibiotics! Ick!!! We grow a big garden and eat as fresh as possible plus i can a lot of it but there’s never enuf time in the day! Interesting Post! ~Lissa :flipeggs::stirpot:

3. LongShot

LongShot

Pronghorn antelope! Yummm . . . :grizz:

leoht, gboutdoors, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  4. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Wild Boar - its been my favorite since im a youngen.

leoht, metalcuttr, gboutdoors and 5 others like this.
  5. bear 1998

bear 1998

As far as wild game......moose is my favorite....followed by elk,venison, a young wild hog. I also had young bear sow. The main thing about wild game is how its prepared..

6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I've had whitetail, muley, moose, elk, prairie chicken, ducks, rabbits, goose and squirrels for wild meat. If it's wild and made of meat, chances are (within reason, no skunks or coyote!) that I'll like it or be able to find a decent spice to compliment. I didn't much care for duck, although I only cooked it a few times in my younger days, so might be the chefs fault there. bear1998 is correct, it's all in the prep.

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 7 others like this.
  7. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Toss between cottontail or grey squirrel....

comanche79p, Chaz, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  8. imwiley1

imwiley1

My son and I love venison. He shot a blackbear this fall and both agree it is the best. Problem is you have to wait several years to get a harvest permit for bear. Small game, can't beat a roaster full of cottontail rabbit.

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 5 others like this.
  9. edyit

edyit

i like both the liquid and solid versions of wild turkey ;)

10. shack

shack

Moose, then Elk, then Bison, then Venison...all right up there for me. Would love to try wild Boar, by someone that know how to prepare it, we just don't have many of them in my area...yet! Also love roasting a rabbit and squirrel is good too.

This might sound odd, but one odd critter that tastes very goo is Wood Chuck/Ground Hog...always found it to be very tender and a very good taste...Old timer's used to eat them all the time around here, if they were still alive they would be around 130 years old, those good old boys are long gone now.

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 5 others like this.
  11. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I like groundhog and crow.

The woodchuck is a little greasy for some people's taste. You have to get to it shortly after it's been hit, or it gets rancid pretty quick laying in the heat of the blacktop. Cooks up nice in the instapot if you get to it in time.

Crow is more an aquired taste. As it seems I eat at least a little every day, I guess I just got used to it.

mrfancyplants, Chaz, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  12. shack

shack

More like shooting them in the field...in the grass.

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 3 others like this.
  13. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Have to say venison, Wild hogs are good too. Rabbits and squirrels are good too. so is rattlesnakes. BBQ coon is good if it's fixed right.

comanche79p, Chaz, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  14. J1m

J1m

Didn’t see anyone say roughed grouse yet. Also known as partridge.

15. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Beat you to the punch in post #6. :DPrairie chicken or ditch chickens is slang here for pretty much any of the various grouse or partridge species, excluding pheasant (they have them in southern end of the province, too chilly up here I think).

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 4 others like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

In my travels favorite game meat has been kangaroo. Odd a pink meat, not red like beef or white like chicken. Really good not that gamey.
    In North America, bison, venison, elk,and antelope. I have tried bear many times, always greasy, except when great grandma cooked it! That time it was delicious.

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 3 others like this.
  17. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Back in the lean years long before marriage, I did a lot of hunting just to eat. I remember shooting a Sawbill (Merganser, a type of fish eating duck) and bringing it home to eat cause that's all there was. I filleted the breasts out and fried them. Anybody know what Merganser tastes like? Well I do! The first bite tastes like moldy fish. Every bite after that tastes like Catsup! True story!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Ron T, Chaz, FatBoy85 and 7 others like this.
  18. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

in order of our favorites, but we like them all (exception is gray squirrel - my wife will not eat it, but our children and I love it): ruffed grouse, venison, moose burger, show shoe hare, pheasant, cotton tail, ducks, gray squirrel.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and leoht like this.
  19. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Wasscully Wabbits?

Chaz, FatBoy85, leoht and 1 other person like this.