In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fall Time Hoarding

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Sep 23, 2026.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,809
    Likes Received:
    215,345
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Back to the cut I've been working. Load of 80% cottonwood and the balance Norway maple. Big logs on the back of the pile made it logistical more difficult but got a load cut in a couple hours. Had to noodle most to move and load. 462 flying solo. Most will make it for bundle inventory.
    Ill split it off the truck tomorrow.

    Three big logs still in back of the pile so MOTS to come Horkn ;) :rofl: :lol:
     
  2. Hoosier_Sam

    Hoosier_Sam

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Noblesville Indiana
    How's the cottonwood burn? I've personally never burned any myself. Got plenty of it around though
     
    MikeInMa, Chud, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,809
    Likes Received:
    215,345
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Dries fast and burns faster. Ideal for shoulder season. The stuff I'll split tomorrow will be used in 3-4 months.

    Not that avidly pursued for firewood with higher BTU species usually around. Ill mix a couple splits in with bundles and some will be sold for fire pit wood.

    I no longer burn other than the fire pit so most of the wood I hoard gets sold.
     
    WinonaRail, MikeInMa, Chud and 2 others like this.
  4. Hoosier_Sam

    Hoosier_Sam

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Noblesville Indiana
    I hear ya, I actually don't heat with wood. I'd love to, but haven't had the chance to install a stove. I usually sell a bunch to my buddy, and burn the "cutoffs" and smaller stuff in the fire pit. I'll save a couple good face cords for myself of premium stuff, but like you stated, a lot gets sold
     
    MikeInMa, Chud, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,809
    Likes Received:
    215,345
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I did for ten years until I moved in with GF here in 2010. No fireplace here so no indoor fire. Prior to owning a house my folks both burned so grew up with it. I greatly miss coming in on a cold day to a house warmed with fire.
     
  6. Hoosier_Sam

    Hoosier_Sam

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Noblesville Indiana
    Yes I miss it too. My dad heated with a buck fireplace insert. He always used Grandpa's ol mcculloch 650 for the cutting duties. Good ol days.
     
    MikeInMa, Stephiedoll, Chud and 3 others like this.
  7. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,572
    Likes Received:
    189,409
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Welcome to the club. Lots of great folks here sharing knowledge and humor
     
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,658
    Likes Received:
    130,764
    Location:
    Vermont
    Welcome to the FHC Hoosier_Sam
     
    T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  9. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,361
    Likes Received:
    31,731
    Location:
    Over here
    I forgot to update here...hoarding is underway!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]