In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fahrenheit Endurance teardown and cleaning

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by 343amc, Oct 11, 2014.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Me too... I wanted to start mine tonight..

I don't want to be spoiled yet ;)

I will inform you on the Impeller. It was pretty cheap through a certain member here. I also bought something else from him, so the shipping wasn't bad at all.

2. 343amc

343amc

I had one last thing to do before firing the furnace up for its first burn tonight. It's going to be cold and nasty tomorrow, so I figured it's a good time to make sure all is well before the real cold sets in.

Last year I had done the leaf blower trick every ton. I got lazy towards the end of the season and went about 1.5 tons without running the leaf blower or doing anything to the venting. The pic below is what I saw when I pulled the clean out cap off the short horizontal run that goes through my basement wall.

Glad I checked. It was pretty plugged. I ran the soot eater through all the venting, hit it with the leaf blower and it's almost ready for fire.

Attached Files:

DexterDay likes this.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Good looking color to that ash!! It surely was in need for a good cleaning.

I just got my new Lint eater head in last week. I ran it down the vent last year when it was apparently a little warm (shrunk the little plastic whiskers).

I love the 90°/Clean out T up top. I did that for my old Englander install in the garage. It works well. I may buy a 4" 90° now because of your pic :)

343amc likes this.
  4. smoke show

smoke show

Does the entire horizontal have that much ash or just the dead end by the clean out?

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Here is the 800 CFM blower out of a Fahrenheit and the info on the motor.

Mine used to be adjustable. There was 2 settings in the control panel (600 CFM and 800 CFM). The updated control board I got 2 years ago, has the 600 CFM option gone. It is now strictly a 800 CFM distribution blower.

The 600 CFM setting was if you were using the Fahrenheit as a free standing stove. They sell a diffuser kit for the top. It makes all the air shoot out of the front, like any other traditional pellet stove. That would be one mean freestanding stove!! The noise level is pretty high, so it would have to be in an area where you don't watch T.V or sleep. :)

20141021_203453.jpg 20141021_203517.jpg 20141021_203742.jpg 20141021_203801.jpg 20141021_203707.jpg

I will try and snap some pics of my burn pot and the updated exhaust manifold later tonight.

343amc likes this.
  6. 343amc

343amc

Just the dead end at the clean out. The 2' long 3 inch horizontal off the back of the furnace didn't have much in it at all.

smoke show likes this.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks like the Fasco D1161 should work as a replacement motor. Around $100 bucks retail and could be had for less on ebay/web deals.

Edit: Doesn't have a capacitor as its a shaded pole. But should work as the controller supplies full volts for each speed. Motor is a true 2 speed 3 wire.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    DexterDay likes this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Got a link Jay?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

11. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

That looks exactly like it.. The Fahrenheit rating is 800/600. So those numbers are very close (close enough to round up ;))

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Cool, Here's a few others that cross to the 1TDT8/5C508 Dayton

Rotom# R7-RB760
    AO Smith# 9459

343amc likes this.
  13. 343amc

343amc

Thanks for the legwork Jay. Hope I don't ever need to replace mine, but if I do it's nice to know what will work.

DexterDay and jtakeman like this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm betting they aren't much cheaper than an OEM if your dealer is easy on the mark up.

Hopefully by the time you fella's need them, They be cheap oem overstock on the net. ;)

DexterDay and 343amc like this.
  15. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

Sure is, it's called 99.9% of your house!

DexterDay likes this.
  16. ZachGrant

ZachGrant

Thanks for the great write-up! I just purchased a used Fahrenheit unit and I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of it. It's the old style manual light unit with LED control board. From what I can tell, it does have an upgraded burn pot assembly though. I spent the day cleaning it up in the shop. I can certainly tell that it has served it's duty for some time by the wear on everything, but it all seems functional.

Does anyone happen to know it the updated burn pot is suppose to have a clinker cutter with it? I don't have one with mine, and I am going to be burning wheat and corn the majority of the time.

Edit: I should mention that I paid $1100 for the furnace. Searching around, this seemed like a fair price?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. smoke show

smoke show

jtakeman and DexterDay like this.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

19. 343amc

343amc

The unit would have come with a clinker cutter. You'd want to run the clinker cutter if you're burning corn. It helps slice through the leftovers in the bottom of the burn pot when you're burning stuff other than pellets. Without that, you'd notice the self clean operation getting noisier the longer it runs. I get a bit of a 'speed bump' in the bottom of my burn pot after a couple weeks. When the furnace starts groaning during the cleaning cycle, I know it's time to shut it down and chip away the speed bump.

I'd bet you could pick a replacement clinker cutter from Fahrenheit fairly inexpensively. One of the 'fingers' broke off mine so I left it off. I only burn pellets so I wasn't too worried about it.

$1100 is a good price. I got really lucky and snagged mine for $1000.

If you have any questions, fire away. I've never burned corn though, but between all of us here we'll be able to answer most any questions.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    DexterDay likes this.
  20. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

It would be nice to know what version everyone has also.