In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Every year....

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by MaineMtnMan, Oct 28, 2018.

1. MaineMtnMan

MaineMtnMan

2. shack

shack

I was brought up in the country and with wood heat. To me be responsible for my own well being and self reliant is what I am about. My wood stove means a lot to me, heat no matter what happens to power, a place to cook and make hot water too.

I haven't had time to put up things from the garden like I used to. This really bothered me. I finally found a place that provides top quality freeze dried food that has a long shelf life and I buy a little each month, got to the point where I believed in it so much I actually sell it on the side know.

Staying warm and having a good meal in my belly are things I don't worry about anymore. The world is a crazy place and I feel blessed to have what I have along with a little peace of mind and preparedness.

Maina, Slocum, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

Feel free to share the info via post or PM.
    :yes:

4. chris

chris

got a whole lot of acorn squash to put up yet, corn got wiped out by tornado, some of the other items were a race with critters. Couple pounds of wax beans in the freezer

Maina, bear 1998, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Nope. That's been replaced with the trappings of the rat race and the Kardashians.

Imagine you're a young man today trying to attract a nice young woman. The things that got us here, are now viewed as freakish. Not my viewpoint, if that needed said.

Sad, but true.

Maina, MaineMtnMan and bear 1998 like this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz

I disagree, if you're trying to attract a 'nice' young woman, not sure it's a problem.

Now if you're after the 'Kardasian' type, yeah best of luck with that.
    :loco: :crazy::picard:

Maina, papadave, MaineMtnMan and 3 others like this.
  7. shack

shack

...not sure it's okay 'to advertise' a side business. If anyone is interested PM and I will send you the info. Thanks for the encouragement.

8. shack

shack

...hmmm.... a nice woman of any age is not all that easy...one that likes the country, not materialistic, and is christian based, all pretty rare....but that is for another forum and thread.

Maina, Chaz and bear 1998 like this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz

Amongst the membership here, yeah most have it covered.
    :yes:

I'll say this though, I never really considered heat in my "prep plans" till after putting in our first stove.
    :loco: :crazy:

Like most Americans, I took for granted that the electric will work, the Nat gas flows, or the oil tank is filled.

Purchasing this place, we're more succeptible to power outages, so we now have a generator, I keep the oil tank at an acceptable level, and am workng on our 3 yr plan for the stove.

Have always kept (or tried to) on hand at least one month of non perishable food, and at least one case of water.

We have edit.. nearly limitless water here, but it would require boiling in an emergency if not for the generator to power the well.

Your point is well taken, it's just that most people don't think of many things until the need arises.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Maina, MaineMtnMan and bear 1998 like this.
  10. shack

shack

Potable water....get a Berky water filter...gravity fed, no electric, sits on the counter...simple, reliable, peace of mind and done.

Maina, papadave, UncleJoe and 3 others like this.
  11. jrider

jrider

MaineMtnMan and Chaz like this.
  12. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

It's really scary, we have a large part of an entire generation coming up that expect to be catered to by the powers-that-be.....and we all know that ends up on the working mans' lap.

I'm old school, and I intend on staying old school, and teaching my kids to rely on themselves as much as possible while doing their best to help others that genuinely NEED HELP.

Ron T, JCMC, Maina and 9 others like this.