In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ever walk away from free firewood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by IonicTick, Jun 22, 2021.

1. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Yeah, there's a big red oak along Lisburn Road at the golf course. No room and way too much traffic on a turn.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

This one not too busy but traffic turning onto road where wood has no stop.

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Yep, no point in fighting it. Anymore if it don't split pretty easily, I just fire up and noodle it, if I want it.

4. jrider

jrider

Why don’t you just noodle it?

5. Pricey106

Pricey106

A couple weeks ago I had a good score of huge, 30 plus inch red oak. I got 2 loads out that day, but it was hot and humid as all heck, and I didn't feel like paying my son more than the 50 bucks I already promised him for lumping the 2 trucks worth of half rounds up a 15 to 20 foot hill into the truck. I probably left at least 2 good truckloads. Another I can think of is decent pine rounds my wife's friend has on her property. They are cut at about 26 inches, about 6 truck loads worth, probably make good camp wood, but I have enough wood to process, and uglies to burn in the pit.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

That one next to the road has sawmill written all over it.

7. IonicTick

IonicTick

I debated the noodle routine. Didn't need it, and ultimately didn't want it that bad. I've never noodled before and wasn't sure about trying it for the first time in front of someone. Now I kinda want to go back over there and try it.

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Noodles will pile up quickly. Keep them away from the back of the saw to prevent clogging. You'll do just fine.

9. IonicTick

IonicTick

Now that looks like it would be hard to drive by. That Ash will buck and split pretty easy.

I can't believe there's no shoulder to park on out there. We've got plenty of room to operate safely off the side of the road here. Bumped into my buddy from the road commission this past weekend and he listed half a dozen roadside hoards for me to pick up if I want them.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was thinking the same.

Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I may grab it eventually. Gotta bring my cones as ive thought of how to go about it.

Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  12. rainking63

rainking63

For me, it's usually the awkward situation of having to turn down some nasty, unburnable stuff from a friend or family member. Folks who don't burn rarely know what is good wood for a stove, so when Aunt Hildegard amasses a pile of brush, or has some moldy birch sitting under a snow bank all winter, they think they're doing me a huge favor when they offer it up. A polite "no thank you" is normally followed by an explanation why I can't burn sopping wet, spongy junk wood.

13. Biddleman

Biddleman

I left a bunch of logs last year at a scrounge after I cherry picked through it. Too hot and too much of a hill to get it out. My son told me it wasn't worth a heat stroke or blown out knee

I guess the more you get ahead, the more picky you become. I see some logs along the road that I would of taken before. Now I think it's not worth the risk. Still hard to pass up though.

14. billb3

billb3

Only when it is junkwood rather than firewood. Or tough to get to.

I've taken some crap wood when it was part of a package with enough good wood to make handling of the crap wood worthwhile. I have a wood dump to dispose of in. If I had to take it to the town dump I'd pass. There are people in town that do that kind of work for a fee and deserve the work and $$$ they earn doing so.

I want firewood, not trash.

99% of my firewood is on my own property these days but the same "rules " apply. Good stuff first. I've left pine and maple to rot because there's some oak over there that needs my attention first.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    MikeInMa, Chaz, WESF and 1 other person like this.
  15. WESF

WESF

Packing cones is next level hoarding.

16. JimBear

JimBear

Probably damm near a necessary requirement in that area...

17. billb3

billb3

In some places it is a requirement any time you're parked in the street, near the street and or working on or near. With the number of Karens out there these days emboldened by social media and what-not, anything to look like you belong there to avoid that bizarre level of Karen stupidity can be worth it.
    You don't have to be doing something you're not supposed to be doing, just the appearance of breaking their insane level of rules that they live by is enough to trigger their entitlement stupidity.

Ron T, JimBear and PA Mountain Man like this.
  18. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

You left the cat outta the bag. Now Karen will be triggered by cones in the street and go off the deep social media end every time she sees buZZsaw BRAD along the street with cones.:p

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Ron T and brenndatomu like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Meh...if not the cones, then it will be something along the lines of "there's a big scary lumberjack lookin guy with an ax parked along the road killing poor innocent trees!" :whistle: :rofl: :lol:

Ron T, PA Mountain Man and JimBear like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No, no, no! My 3' orange safety cones!

PA Mountain Man likes this.