In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EPA to regulate BBQ'S

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by ironpony, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LongShot

LongShot

The increasing goverment encrochment combined with control-freak neighbors are two of the biggest reasons I live remotely. I realize most people live in populated areas and have to put up with this stuff, but getting out of town was the best move I ever made.

Shawn Curry, Brad38, thistle and 5 others like this.
  2. golf66

golf66

Well, after doing a bunch of searching, there doesn't seem to be much going on here. "The EPA is providing $15,000 in funding for a University of California-Riverside (UCR) project to limit emissions that result from grilling meat in backyard barbecues.........The project, entitled “Technology for the Reduction of Particulate Matter Emissions for Residential Propane BBQs,” has a stated aim to: “research and develop preventative technology that will reduce fine particulate emissions from residential barbecues. This technology is intended to reduce air pollution as well as health hazards in Southern California, with potential for global application.......The UCR study is looking at the particulate emissions breathed in when grilling over an open flame, and how to minimize those emissions. Its concept includes a drip tray to capture grease, which can overheat and flare up during the grilling process..” A $15,000 grant to study drip trays on propane grills does not constitute "EPA to Regulate BBQ's", and the study mentions nothing about charcoal grills. Heck, when first lit, my Egg can produce more smoke than a Pittsburgh steel smelter, no offense to Pittsburgh. Happy grilling this summer.

concretegrazer and jeff_t like this.
  3. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

What really irritates me regarding this subject of both woodstove restrictions and now this BBQ emission study is it's a so-called "global push" to clean up the air. A "push" that countries like China have no participation in. Yet China burns something like 900 tons of plastic A DAY to get precious metals out of old computer parts, Pumping that poison DIRECTLY INTO THE AIR. Yet no trade sanctions against China, total bullchit....

Ok, I'm done. Keep the thread clean folks......Trust me when I say we all feel the frustration.

Brad38, thistle, Certified106 and 4 others like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

Relax everyone. They will invent a soy steak that will not char and smoke, and all will be good in the grilling world.

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I'm thinking I'm going to BBQ something this weekend...just because I can...:p

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I'll never succumb to that!! It's red meat or hit the street!!

thistle, fishingpol, milleo and 2 others like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

8. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

A couple years ago the EPA floated grill regs. and the outdoor grill assoc. pushed back hard and got EPA to back down for the time being. This is one of a number of things the EPA is likely doing to build ammo for the next push. If they come up with something even remotely workable, the EPA will then point to the "technology that is available now" and whatever it is will be mandatory in ten years and raise the price of a new grill by x number of dollars. I am sure they have or will fund other studies involving charcoal grills and chimineas as well.

milleo, Stinny, jeff_t and 1 other person like this.
  9. StihlHead

StihlHead

Just ask BeGreen over on H*arth... he was all in favor of a bigger EPA/DEQ to provide more jobs and hence a large gov't staff to come up with more regulations on more stuff. I got into many an argument there over the EPA with him. Big gov't is a cancer.

The new EPA chainsaw regs were the result of the then John Deere lobby which had the patents on Homelite cleaner burning 2-stroke engines. But once the laws were implemented, they realized that Stihl and Husky had advanced designs and they could not monopolize saw sales in the US so they bailed out of small engine tools altogether. Now JD sells Honda and Stihl small engine products here, and we have a progressive series of tougher smog laws on small engines in the US.

EPA wood/pellet stove regs stems from the Northeast/Ohio OWB wars, and from smoke dragon complaints. Also winter smoke in inversion basin areas like The Puget Sound (Seattle) in WA and The SF Bay area in CA. The newer EPA wood stove and boiler regs are all based on the Washington state regs on wood/pellet stoves and boilers. EPA III = WA state regulations. In CA, many counties and cities have banned wood burning appliances outright. Many states like WA and OR have basically banned OWB/IWBs. And in OR and many counties in CA, no homes can be sold with non-EPA wood burning stoves or boilers (unless they are unused antiques). Any non-EPA stoves or boilers in those homes have to be scrapped.

The BBQ regs stem from concerns about “particulate emissions” you breathe when you stand over a gas grill; especially when grease hits the flames. As a result of that, the EPA is funding a $15,000 University of California-Riverside study on the issue. This issue is just hitting the scene and some states are fighting back against the EPA on this, most notably in Missouri. I suppose they will push these regs into restaurant grills and grills inside the home next. Cooking fumes are likely the leading cause of a million and one types of diseases. At least according to the cancer that they call the EPA.

I am waiting for the fart tax on beans and cabbages next.

Brad38, thistle, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  10. jeff_t

jeff_t

If this is all the case, then I guess I'll be stuck grilling steaks in my open fireplace. Those are always okay.

11. StihlHead

StihlHead

Yah, my next house will have a masonry fireplace. They are always exempt from EPA regs. They are banned in the SF Bay area for new construction, but grandfathered in houses like the one I owned there.

jeff_t, Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well I went ahead and fire up both BBQ grills... One for hamburgers & potatos then other for steaks...

13. Certified106

Certified106

This probably wouldn't have made them happy. Its my family friendly middle finger and yes both of them were rolling fine blue smoke.....:cool:
    20150315_162158.jpg

14. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

You are the wind beneath my wings Cert. Let that blue smoke fly! Please post pics of what's cooking in the smokers/grills.

thistle, wildwest and Chvymn99 like this.
  15. thistle

thistle

They can kiss my azz...........:mad:

62 degrees late this afternoon,fired up the ol' Weber kettle - mostly Black Cherry,remainder White/Bur Oak & Mulberry.:grizz: :D

1 large sirloin tip that was in the freezer I cut in 3 pieces,some green onion bratwursts from a local grocer 3 days ago.Thin sliced yellow onion steamed in foil - I'll eat good this week :drool: :dex:

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
    milleo, StihlHead, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  16. StihlHead

StihlHead

And you actually survived that carcinogenic fume creating event? :hair:No one died or had to be rushed to the hospital, did they? :startled:

Stinny, Chvymn99, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  17. StihlHead

StihlHead

Uh oh. The EPA now has photographic evidence of your evil and wrong-doing. I can see the EPA fines and litigation starting already.

Knock knock Thistle, its the DEQ!

Chvymn99, thistle and wildwest like this.
  18. thistle

thistle

I'll fire up a couple of the big Mac's (and some other stuff too) to really give them a message.I'll use their subpoena for TP. :whistle:

Chvymn99, StihlHead, milleo and 2 others like this.
  19. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Yeah; me and him and the other Mods didn't see things the same either, which is why I cannot play there any longer!!! We had a few go arounds before they got rid of me.........................twas a different name there.

Big Gov. is a huge cancer..................as it doesn't produce anything except bureaucracy..................layer upon layer of "no value added management/regulation/taxation. Not to mention the cost of the folks required to run it!!!!

20. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Does this make me carbon nuetral. :rofl: :lol:
    This probably a half of a beef...

Attached Files:

thistle, wildwest, HDRock and 2 others like this.