In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander Madison

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by hman, Sep 25, 2019.

1. hman

hman

Hey Hoytman,I can get up to 8hr burn times with the Kuma. I have had it to hold coals for a lot longer than that.It weighs 350lbs.Its a heavy built stove.I said in an earlier post that its 1.7 cuft firebox its 1.8 and it will take a 16 inch log in either direction. It has a small grate that lets the ashes go into the ash pan in the pedestal.The ash pan drawer has a rope gasket that seals it. The stove is for close clearance to a wall.I run telescope double wall pipe.It does have a blower.I run it in very cold weather. I burn on average about 2 cord of wood a winter burning 24/7. Its in a double wide home that's around 1400 square foot.

RGrant likes this.
  2. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have the Madison 02 and I am not happy with it. :( I have some threads on here about my experiences with the stove. The smaller Madison 01 may be a good stove. I have outlined the issues I have with the stove. I think the draw issue with the stove is the fact that most of the flue is blocked. Of course I don't really know and there may be other stoves made the same that draw great. I can only open the door 90 degrees and it binds. The doghouse has already burned up because I think it is too far into the firebox, there is no way to have any sort of fire without it being on top of the doghouse; is that normal? I had to take the knob off of the damper control because it hit the door; when I would go to shut the door, I would have to lift up on the knob with one hand and shut the door with the other. And the glass comes loose. This is not me bitching or complaining, I am simply outlining my experience with the stove.

[​IMG]

Hoytman likes this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman

Understand that...no rant...just an experience. Sometimes the truth isn't popular, is it. That's no matter, your experiences are what they are. Thank you for sharing.

4. billb3

billb3

Got a pic of the mostly blocked flue ?

brenndatomu likes this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

I believe what was written and what was meant are two different things. I believe what was meant a picture has already been shown...a partially blocked stove outlet...from the factory. I’m taking it there’s no adjustable bypass allowing the stove outlet to fully open.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. Kimberly

Kimberly

That was the photo I posted. I am guessing that is the channel for the glass air wash. I would think they could have placed it on either side of the flue but as I said, I am not a stove designer but I do question the placement. I have been told my chimney is high enough but I do have a through the wall. I did put 45s instead of a 90 on the flue pipe. I have also been told that any large door stove is going to spill smoke. I had to remove the smoke alarm because I was constantly setting it off every time I added any fuel to the stove. And the lounge is full of ash that floats out. I guess I will need to install a draft inducer in the flue. The house is constantly smelling like smoke during the burning season.

7. hman

hman

Instead of putting in a draft inducer and all the other problems you have had with this stove,is it out of the question to get another brand of stove?

Kimberly and wildwest like this.
  8. Kimberly

Kimberly

Well, I had my eye on this stove at Lowe's but I can't afford to buy another stove and I can't ask family to help; I just have to live with the stove I have. I had actually intended to get the NC30 but it was an issue with the R rating of the hearth and the Madison just required ember protection.

[​IMG]

9. hman

hman

I thought about a Drolet stove as well. The local Menards had the Drolet Myraid for 800.00. I hope you can get yourself a better stove. I know I am not going to buy the Madison. I will keep my Kuma stove.

Hoytman and wildwest like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

I don't see a name on the Lowe's site. It is $1549 but the reviews say good things about the stove. There are reviews on Lowe's about the Madison if you care to read them. I was not the only one that had the glass come loose. I think the Madison could be a good stove with a few changes, better glass retainer; smaller door; making the door less tall would allow room for the damper control and probably would help with the smoke spillage. Most are minor changes but Englander did not see interested in fixing the problems with the stove.

Item # 365188 Model # DB07200

Drolet 2400-sq ft Wood Burning Stove

11. Hoytman

Hoytman

Yep...only thing that kept me from buying it was I double checked on the Drolet website and it wasn’t 2020 compliant like the nc-30. Oh...and the one I looked at had a wobble in the door hinge I didn’t care for . May not have hurt it. I probably should have bought the Myriad at that price. Nice size firebox, square, deep, tall. Loved the large ash tray. Probably will kick myself for not getting it. Not sure they are still making it...least until they get it to pass new reg’s. I think had it met reg’s like the nc-30 I’d have bought it just because of the bigger ash tray.

12. Hoytman

Hoytman

Speaking of stoves at the box stores. Haven’t found a box store yet around me yet with a wood stove to look at except Menard’s. Every time I go to Lowe’s or HD they have zero stoves in stock. Of course, I haven’t checked since September.

13. bushpilot

bushpilot

Was that due to nudity, violence, or language? :rofl: :lol:

Kimberly and brenndatomu like this.
  14. bushpilot

bushpilot

AFAIK, the NC-30 is not 2020 compliant, if that mattered to you. At least as far as the EPA site shown. Maybe it will be tested and found compliant, it seems to me that it meets the specs.

15. Hoytman

Hoytman

Haven’t taken time to look at the EPA site lately. Just looked at specs on line...said 2020 compliant...with something like 1.7ish emissions. Don’t recall the exact number. Worth double checking though...even triple checking. Now that I think about it...when I called ESW last spring I believe they told me then also that it was 2020 compliant. Be worth calling them again also to double check though.

AFAIK????

16. bushpilot

bushpilot

Yeah, the number is 1.63, which meets 2020 standard. But it is not listed as such either on their own web site, or the EPA. Maybe there is just some paperwork to complete, who knows.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

Hoytman likes this.
  17. Kimberly

Kimberly

I don't think I have seen any at Lowe's either. I haven't really been visiting Lowe's lately though.

18. Kimberly

Kimberly

What? There are new regulations now for wood fuel stoves?

19. Kimberly

Kimberly

If I recall correctly, they were going to pass regulations in the UK that all wood fuel had to be kiln dried.

20. Kimberly

Kimberly

It was violence, nudity and language don't bother me :D