In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

England Stove Works Model #: 50-SHSSW01

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Dec 22, 2015.

1. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

I thought it just closed the primary air when the stove reaches optimum temperature. It had nothing to do with over fireing.

jeff_t likes this.
  2. jeff_t

jeff_t

I think you're right.

The idea has potential, I suppose. But like all things mechanical I would never trust it to work 100% of the time. And since we're talking about building a fire inside your home, it has to work 100% of the time.

Just saying that feature wouldn't be a selling point for me. Now, an Englander stove that requires only ember protection on the hearth is a different story :yes:

chance04 likes this.
  3. CoreyB

CoreyB

Hey Guys just thought I would resurrect this thread and see if anyone has more info and experience with this stove. I can get one through work at a bit of a discount and would like a more efficient set up . our home is only 1200 sqft so this should be more then enough.

wildwest likes this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

I just happen to have this manual in my files :)

Attached Files:

wildwest likes this.
  5. CoreyB

CoreyB

Cool. Have you used this or know anybody who does. I would like to know how the setback system works.

wildwest likes this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock

Don't know that much , I just have that file from searching when Kimberly was looking , she got the bigger one 50‐SHSSW02
    The set back is like a bi metal deal , heats up and closes down the air as the stove gets hotter , you can use it ,or just not set it, and run stove manually (normally)

wildwest and CoreyB like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think this is the unit that Kimberly ended up buying. Not sure if hers has been hot enough to make the auto setback work though. :whistle:
    From what I have read elsewhere, I think the earlier ones needed tweaked a bit...but I believe they are sorted out now though

wildwest, HDRock and CoreyB like this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

50‐SHSSW02 manual

Attached Files:

wildwest likes this.
  9. Kimberly

Kimberly

Hello. Yes, I have the larger stove. The auto setback is a nice feature and I really like it. I stopped using it at night because of the door glass issue that has not been fixed yet; I was letting the stove burn out before bed although I did use it when firing during the day if the stove cooled enough.
    You pull the rod all the way out, then turn; that sets the auto setback. When the stove reaches the operating temperature, it will set the air back. If the stove is hot, then the setback won't engage.

CoreyB and wildwest like this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

I really liked the setback for bedtime. I would fill the stove full, use the auto setback and could go to bed and not worry about watching the stove.

wildwest likes this.
  11. Kimberly

Kimberly

I will add to this thread that my biggest issue with the stove is the glass retainers. I contacted ESW and never got a satisfactory answer. I don't know if the smaller stove uses the same retainers as the larger stove. I need to revisit the glass issue before burning season gets here.

CoreyB and wildwest like this.
  12. Kimberly

Kimberly

Maybe a new thread on the Madison line to help CoreyB
    The auto setback feature will set the air control back to the lowest setting once it kicks in. When you turn the knob, it opens the air flow off of the lowest setting. Once the fire is burning hot to the point the setback kicks in, it turns the stove's air flow to the lowest setting. It cannot be used in any other air setting; you pull it all the way out which is the lowest air flow setting on the stove, then turn the knob to open off of the lowest setting.

wildwest likes this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

Remember that I am fairly new to wood burning. Last year I cut my wood to the width of the stove. However, I am now cutting wood to fit the depth of the stove; north-south. I like east-west for the "looks" of the logs burning but I found it was hard to fill the stove for an overnight burn. Plus, logs rolling out when fueling was an issue. For me, I think I am cutting to 16 inches for the 02 model; would have to check my measure stick. It is a lot easier to fuel the stove when I am not having to deal with logs catching fire and then wanting to roll out on me. I don't know yet how this will affect the burn of the stove since last year I was cutting for the width.

HDRock, CoreyB and wildwest like this.
  14. chris

chris

HI Kimberly, Feeding front to back does shorten the burn time a bit perhaps not enough to be concerned about. I generally load so as to leave a small channel all the way to the back of the stove for air coming in from, what is commonly called the dog house , little square box in center of lower edge of the fire box. Get a better more uniform start other wise it is blasting on the end grain of a split. I have a new to me home this year don't know if I will have time to get a stove set up before winter, fuel isn't a problem even though I had to leave most of it behind along with my NC30 at the old place. I'm just not 4 years ahead any more. Plus I haven't closed on the place yet ( end of Step hopefully) so I can't alter anything until that takes place. Currently renting it until closing. Layout of new place is proving a bit difficult for stove location. OWB would be a nice option but that is pretty hefty in the $$$ department.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    HDRock and brenndatomu like this.
  15. Hoytman

Hoytman

I would like more information on this stove if anyone has any. Been a couple years since this thread was up. Seems this stove is no longer on England Stove Works website. Did they discontinue this stove? If not, give some updates on it please.

I wonder how this stove compares to the NC 13 and NC 30 with regard to function. Better, worse?