In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EDC Knife thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Smokinpiney, Jul 4, 2014.

1. colin.p

colin.p

I should have read a little closer, you already have one so you're good to go.

Oh and on the subject of deer skinning, I suggest a fixed blade, as deer cutting is rather messy and a royal PITA to clean up your knife afterwards.

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  2. chbryson

chbryson

Here is the one I usually have on me, a Buck quick assist, although I have so much sawdust down in the mechanism it isn't too quick to open. I definitely do not baby this knife and it is sharpened IMG_1427.JPG about once a week because of the crap I cut with it. There is some form of glue or something stuck on it currently, it is due for a bath in some acetone and a sharpening again.

XXL, Ronaldo, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  3. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

So I went out and splurged on the Benchmade 940-1. An expensive knife and I planned to sell my Spyderco Sage to finance it.

I had heard about BM's quality control issues but this is a bit ridiculous. After a few days of playing around with it, no hard use whatsoever the blade develops some really noticeable side-by-side movement when closed. Pic below will show that when it rests on its side the blade touches the scales.

I called BM and they said tighten the pivot lock. I'm giving it a go but not really impressed. Materials are top notch, it looks great but when compared to my Spydercos, not getting the same feeling. Furthermore the "flick-ability" of the PM2 is way easier and more fun.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Chvymn99, colin.p, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That does suck. I've used mine for quite a while now and not one problem. I have adjusted the pivot screw. Maybe your bushings are just breaking in. Do you use any lube?

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

grandgourmand Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope it resolves. FWIW, I buy knives of 3 specific "grades." 1) For everyday chores and beating on, I like any decent quality non-custom knife. Currently, I'm carrying a Kershaw and 2 Case folders, mostly "Stockman" style with a variety of folding blades. Wife has a Buck stockman. 2) Most of my "higher end" knives are Doziers or Wayne Hendrix customs with simple micarta handles. I LOVE carrying these in the woods and for butchering game. 3) Special knives. Occasionally, I'll splurge on a "special" or "fancy" knife. One such knife is my Dozier folder DK-FH with micarta scales. 20180919_210453(1).jpg 20180919_210543.jpg 20180919_210641.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  6. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Here's another Dozier splurge.
    20180711_115846.jpg

7. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Some Wayne Hendrixs knives. He's an awesome guy who builds great "user" knives at a great price and some really sweet custom knives. The top one is my #11 Semi Skinner which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE as my EDC hunting knife. If I only had one knife to process a deer from beginning to end, this knife (or my Dozier D8 Simi Skinner, very similar) would be my choice. If you want a super economical version of this knife, he offers the same profile blade in 440C steel with black micarta as his "WDH" at only $79.99. Order the Hendrix Design Knife (WHD1) Special Offer Several of my friends have ordered these knives and they universally LOVE them. The knife on the bottom is a custom boning/small filet knife. This thing draws blood if you even get within 2 feet of it. I use it extensively for butchering deer and sheep.
    20180919_213617.jpg

8. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

YOu have the 940 or some other benchmade? I've read about this issue with various models. I hear some side-to-side is ok, but this is a bit much. I tightened the pivot screw, got it to a point where it still flicked well, closed smoothly, and side-to-side was minimized. Then after flicking a bit more (nothing unusual) it loosened up again.

What would the lube do? I've read about Loctite as well. Hear it's to keep the pivot screw in place.

This is too bad, as I was looking at picking up a Bugout in the next little while...love that blade shape.

HolsatiaRedneck and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My son and I have full and mini grips (plus I have a butterfly). A small amt of loctite will keep the pivot screw in place. Sound like yours is backing out. The lube is for the brass bushings. Maybe lube got to your screw?
    [​IMG]

10. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Thanks for the pics. Those are some awesome looking knives.

My knife collection strategy is: (1) a small and light EDC, currently occupied by the Delica; (2) an EDC to satisfy my desire for something cool to handle and also good quality, currently occupied by the PM2; and (3) I don't care for the term, but a "gentleman" EDC, currently occupied by the Spyderco Sage, but intended to be replaced by the 940; and (4) a fixed blade knife, currently occupied by a Mora.

I was going to replace the Delica with the Benchmade Bugout. The Delica is great...but I would prefer something easier to flick. Then eventually, I'll get something nicer than the Mora. I've got the #2...it's nice and sharp and cheap. But...the handle isn't great and I'd like something with a bit more heft.

I have a bit of an axe/splitter collection on the side, and don't really want to go overboard collecting stuff, so figure 4 knives will do me just fine.

11. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

I haven't lubed anything...so it is a lube issue, it would have been at the store or factory.

I've read a few forum threads on this issue. Sounds like there's a break-in period. You tighten up so that it's not easy to flick open and close, but over time the brass bushings get worn in and you're all good. I'm willing to do that, but not with this specific knife. The store I bought it from said they just received another 8 new ones. I'm sending mine in and asking them to send me one they've really checked out for "close to perfection". I bought the last one they had so, who knows, maybe it had been passed over by others. Last in the litter type of thing.

12. colin.p

colin.p

As I mentioned in the PM I sent you, my 940 was temperamental at first but after awhile settled down quite nicely ( don't forget that the brass washers are pressed out and not cut, so there might be slight "dishing" that needs to get flattened out over time). Also, as regards to the pivot loosening up, Benchmade has commented that the threads on the pivot screw aren't as fine as they should be and is an issue they are planning to address at some later date. Who knows when and that certainly doesn't help you now.

In the meantime, take the pivot screw out and wrap a small amount of teflon, or plumber tape, around the threads and that will allow you to make small adjustments to the screw over time. Loctite will lose it's thread locking ability if you try and re-adjust later.

PS, nice knife that 940 -1 is, a little out of my price range but still nice.

13. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Thanks man...I'll try out the teflon tape fix on the next one. As it is, the store I bought it from is sending me a new one that they've gone over, along with a return envelope for me to send the first one back. Good customer service...S&R Knives if you're buying online, check'em out. I found their prices on par or better for most of the models I've looked at.

colin.p, IHATEPROPANE and Ronaldo like this.
  14. colin.p

colin.p

I haven't bought anything from them yet but their prices are on par or better than W&W and my local Kutter's in Ottawa. It's nice to have more than one place to buy from and the competition is nice too (something that's rather scarce in canada).

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  15. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Update...so the store I bought it from (S&R Knives in Canada) has delivered some top notch customer service. They sent me a new knife and a return envelope to send back my old one (nice to see them trust me with that). I asked them to pick a really good specimen, and they didn't disappoint. My new one is buttery smooth, and no side-to-side play. It's not flawlessly flickable and the "free drop" close isn't quite there. But I figure these will improve as the knife gets used. PLus, I'd rather have the more solid construction. Really loving the knife.. Funny, how despite being disappointed by it last week, when I stopped carrying it for 4-5 days I found myself missing it.

16. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

This Sodbuster type is my favorite at the momment. Made in Sollingen, Germany for the US Market.
    So i had to order it from a place in Tennessee back to the Fathersland.
    I like the fact it hasnt such a big belly like other Sodbuster types, a wee bit of variety and such.
    Fit and finish is well nice, Steel is 440C if i recall it right.
    PB260317.JPG

PB260318.JPG

PB260319.JPG

Eric Wanderweg, Bert, colin.p and 6 others like this.
  17. mdavlee

mdavlee

Those are nice knives. I’m carrying. A yellow handle sod buster jr right now. I misplaced my Benchmade mini griptilian right before we left for here.

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Can’t like that. Sorry Mike.

19. XXL

XXL

I have the a Buck Tempest too. Great knife. Mine has the BOS 154CM steel.

Attached Files:

20. mdavlee

mdavlee

I hope it’s in the little woman’s Jeep. I did order a mini freek for Black Friday shopping just in case.

colin.p and The Wood Wolverine like this.