In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EDC Knife thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Smokinpiney, Jul 4, 2014.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very nice indeed! I really like the blue color. That knife is very similar to the griptilians.

colin.p likes this.
  2. colin.p

colin.p

Indeed it is very similar, but I think if I had to do it over, I would choose this over my mini-grip. I don't have the full size grip, but I think this may be very well the better EDC knife. But hey, the only way to know for sure is to have them both to compare. I'm working on it.

Ronaldo and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I have a mini and my son has the full size. For me, the full size is too large for edc. Can you take a pic of them side by side?

4. colin.p

colin.p

I don't have the full size grip, just the mini grip, but this will give you an idea. I am able to get a full grip on the Bugout, wheres with the mini griptilian my little finger (medium size hands) is barely hanging on.

Attached Files:

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Nice, thanks for the pic. I agree, I think the new one would be a better grip (lol). A bit more slim too.

Ronaldo and colin.p like this.
  6. colin.p

colin.p

This (hopefully) will be better as to showing the size difference. Bad lighting so not sure if this will work.

Attached Files:

The Wood Wolverine and Ronaldo like this.
  7. colin.p

colin.p

Finally filled up my knife storage pouch. Bought an all black PM 2 and an all black Para 3. Knife pouch has no more room so I can't buy any more knives...Yes, that's the ticket, no more knives.....

Hey!...Spyderco sells a 30 pocket storage pouch????

Attached Files:

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very nice blades!

Any edge snobs in here?
    7A3066B3-D01B-42C9-A12C-B1DF21E6C1ED.jpeg 66721800-94FF-4295-A7FE-A1A43D3E9C2B.jpeg

9. colin.p

colin.p

Nice edge and sharpening system. That's the next thing on the list. I sharpen using stones, not even diamond stones, but the most "super steel" I have is s30v and the regular stones work just fine.

FatBoy85 and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  10. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I have one of those and really do work well. Quite an edge when done!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

colin.p and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Nope you gotta live with that! Haha I don’t delve so much into the knives thing as much as numbers and labels go. If I like the knife I will buy it but I’m really partial to kitchen knives,the old high carbon ones. Ontario Cutlery, Old Hickories, Crucible just to name a few...I believe I also have an old Sabatier. Maybe I need to find a thread here that talks about those?

colin.p and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I had the same skeletool, then lost it fishing. Bummer. I need to remember to put leashes on my knives for that purpose...

colin.p likes this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I also own a Work Sharp KO edition. I use it for my kitchen knives. Couldn't quite get the newspaper to stand proud.

14. colin.p

colin.p

Woah, now I'm impressed. I've seen those Worksharp's and always wanted to play with one. As I am attracted to shiny new things, I'm going to have to keep that in mind. But until then, I'll still use my old reliable stones, even though that WSKO would make sharpening my wife's kitchen knives less of an ordeal and I may actually keep them sharp.:emb:

15. colin.p

colin.p

When my wife and I got married back in '77, we bought a pair of Old Hickory knives that were on the end of an aisle at the grocery store I worked at. They were only a few bucks each so we splurged. I thought they were just cheap knives as they weren't stainless and awhile later we had some other knives on sale that were stainless. Well of course, the Old Hickory were 100 times the knives that those cheap stainless knives were.

The carving knife was lost when we moved into our house back in '97 and the handle of the paring knife rotted away (don't put good knives in the dish washer DOH). I have looked high and low for those knives again but it wasn't until I bought my OKC RAT 2 that I found out they are made by Ontario Knife Company. However, I am still looking for them and may have to break down and find an online distributor and pay 5 times more than I originally paid for them.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  16. stihl sawing

stihl sawing

Don't have nothing expensive, but usually carry the Boker Kalishnikov, fifth from left

SANY1242.JPG

TurboDiesel, Ronaldo and colin.p like this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

You may not have to. Ebay and goodwill online have some of these for sale from time to time. My question to you is maybe you find a picture of the ones you lost, stock photos? I know they still sell a set of OH but they may be different in metal composition today. I like keeping an eye out, its fun when I do come upon a good deal.

colin.p likes this.
  18. blacktail

blacktail

Got this Kershaw rescue knife a couple days ago. Made in China, but for $25 that's expected. I like high vis stuff because it's easier to find. 20180111_111052.jpg 20180111_110945.jpg

19. colin.p

colin.p

I thought I was done, honest, but my daughter and some friends threw my wife and I a surprise 41 years anniversary party and my son bought me a new knife. So here she is in all her glorious splendor....tada...a ZT 0450CF. It was a toss up between a 484 Nakamura and this but the ZT won out.

It's a flipper and super easy to deploy (apparently now considered a "prohibited weapon" by our border clowns). Very compact but still a nice EDC size with a 3 1/4 inch blade, with a carbon fiber slab for the show side scale and titanium for the lock side. I really must stop....

Attached Files:

20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I told Mrs. TD i needed/wanted a sharpener a couple months ago and she mentioned something about it to her coworker, so he sent her home with the WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition.
    I didn't think to much of it at first glance...then I used it! WOW!!!
    I ordered one for christmas, from-me-to-me. :dex:
    Cleaned up all my kitchen knives and a couple EDC's.
    I'm Impressed!!!

You do have to be careful to not take too much metal off. It can be aggressive if you let it!
    On the other hand, my Henckels Santoku kitchen knife had never been sharpened right, and I needed to take some fine chips out of the blade before putting a nice edge on it. Had to give it about 15 strokes with the 120 belt to get it looking good. o_O
    Took me about 20 minutes to reshape and get it cutting like The Wood Wolverine's video above