In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Econoburn indoor unit

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by farmer rob, Jan 16, 2018.

1. farmer rob

farmer rob

2. nsmaple

nsmaple

No experience but have read a lot about them.

From that, they are built like a tank & make lots of heat. They benefit greatly from storage. If you run without it, you would need to do semi-regular cleaning of tubes etc. where creosote can build up. So maybe check out what that involves or how hard it is to get at them. Lots of happy users out there. I also think they have a tendency to send smoke spillage out the door when firing - something to be wary of if you are putting it in a house. If you do put it inside & add storage, that should reduce spillage since you would just burn until the fire goes out. But there still might be some. Hopefully you'll get some owner feedback.

Horkn likes this.
  3. farmer rob

farmer rob

Thank you for that update and information. I am planning on putting into part of our drive shed(45x64) then pull a wall through the shed and heat that area so my tractor stays warm and I do not have to brave the wind filling the unit. I was Org going to go with Portage & Main but not sure about installing a outdoor unit into the shed as we have no tree cover and the snow blows through a pin hole here.

Horkn likes this.
  4. billporterfield

billporterfield

Yes, I have a Ecoburn 150, I'm currently heating 3500 sq.ft. We recently had _30 below and it was around 70 degrees in house, however this would be the limit.

Horkn likes this.
  5. farmer rob

farmer rob

Thank you for the insight may I ask what type of heat distribution is used and does the unit keep burning for 8-12 hours between fill ups?

6. billporterfield

billporterfield

Our house was built with baseboard heating, I have underfloor pex tubing on the first floor, in floor in garage, sun room and work shop. There is 2- 250 gallon refurbished LP tanks used for hot water storage which are located in a boiler house 175' from main house. Supply and return piping is buried underground. I only run the boiler during the day, this supply the house and recharges the tanks. The 150 Ecnoburn will be running at its max on till water temp is reaching 180 degrees. The burn time is about 3-31/2 hours. A below zero I was burning about 350# of wood per day.