In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Echo CS-590 Problem

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Daeven, Apr 20, 2021.

1. huskihl

huskihl

If they won’t help you, the cylinder will most likely clean up. You’d just need a piston and rings that way

Screwloose and Barcroftb like this.
  2. NBourque

NBourque

No way a high quality oil like stihl burned up your piston. Something fishy is going on with your dealer. Make enough stink with echo and they’ll warranty your saw.

3. unbidden

unbidden

It's on the Echo website. Oil must be JASO FD rated. This covers many different oils. Demand to speak with an Echo regional representative and not just a first tier support tech.

Screwloose, Jeremy Anthon and Chud like this.
  4. Daeven

Daeven

Another exciting update in my CS-590 saga today! I forgot to mention previously that the "servicing" dealer stole my spark plug too. Anyways, Echo didn't really want to help me other than to suggest another servicing dealer could check it and maybe they would see something different. I'm not interested in spending another $40 for a diagnostic fee and waiting 5 more weeks.

My plan was to buy a new cylinder/piston/ring and install it. I noticed some guy on eBay is apparently taking apart brand new CS-590s and selling the components. For $4 more than cylinder/piston/ring, I could get the whole engine with oil tank, case, crank, everything. I like spare parts, so why not! BTW, that guy is making some decent coin on the parts. It's probably $1000 for the whole saw if you buy the components and he was selling everything from 10 saws.

I got the parts today, so I started to disassembling the old saw with plans to move everything over to the new engine. I got most everything off before I removed the intake side. I was very surprised to see no damage to to piston at the intake! I am not a 2-stroke mechanic genius, but my understanding is that means the fuel/oil mixture was likely fine and points to an air leak or over-lean condition.

I'm going to call Echo in the morning and explain the situation to them. Based on their previous guidance, I assume they should be fine with me dragging the disassembled saw to another servicing dealer to confirm my findings, and perhaps this story will have a happy ending.

Here's the intake side. Am I crazy to suggest this looks fine?
    IMG_4273.JPG

5. fuelrod

fuelrod

Hopefully this works out well. I started smelling a skunk with the Ace place a few posts in*. To me, they're a step lower than a big box store for buying saw stuff. If you're still perusing this with Echo, I'd squeeze in your words from an earlier post listing your 2 stroke equipment. I imagine that simply by selling 2 stroke equipment at a "harry homeowner" place (ace) they are bound to have tons of problems with straight gas accidents and I can imagine that it's a reasonable assumption even with tiniest bit of evidence for the manufacturer to take.
    Good luck either way :yes:
    I bought a little Echo- CS 490 after realizing that my weed eater was an echo and at least 10 years old that ran and operated flawlessly. The little 490 does the same after about 4 years.

* no owners manual

Screwloose and Daeven like this.
  6. Daeven

Daeven

Yeah, there just aren't any good Echo dealer options near me. It seems they are all Ace or or different small general hardware store. There is an equipment dealer not far away that carries other brands. I've never been there, but will check it out next time I'm in the market.

Screwloose and fuelrod like this.
  7. Screwloose

Screwloose

Many years ago my father bought a mower from ace it had a issue and they told him 4 weeks to repair it. He just went to returns and got his money back.
    Echo is a great saw but they regularly come to lean out of the box. It is a shame that they shoot themselves in the foot so often.

brenndatomu and Daeven like this.
  8. Daeven

Daeven

I considered it and will still try a return if necessary. I don't think that will be needed in this case. I found a good equipment dealer a bit further away and he seemed to recognize the issue right away and expressed outrage that a dealer would sell the saw without adjusting the carb. The saw is with him now, and I expect to hear back that it will be replaced under warranty.

I am hoping that I get the old saw back plus a new one. I already had purchased the parts to repair it myself, and I feel like I deserve an extra saw with all that they've put me through. :hair:

Stephiedoll, fuelrod, Chud and 2 others like this.
  9. Screwloose

Screwloose

At least echo parts are reasonable, but maybe you can return them. You should come out fine as the dealer wants you to dump ace as your go to for ope.

10. Daeven

Daeven

It took a while, but I got the saw back from the second shop. Echo agreed to pay for repairs under warranty!