In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

East Coast, keep your...............

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Mar 4, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    They have a realfeel of -26 tomorrow night for our area with gust up to 44 mph. It looks like tomorrow will be the worst day of the storm, unless they change the forecast.
    Lo 0° RealFeel® -26° Precipitation 82%
    Night
    N
    E
    S
    W
    • NNW 20 mph
    • Gusts: 44 mph
     
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    :eek: I'm looking at it like this. :D Let's hope it is winter's last punch in the fight. :D I'm going in the woods Thursday and Friday no matter what. Going to bring some Ash out to the pile. Even if it just a face cord each day. :thumbs:
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It might be tough going back in the woods if you get the snow in the forecast.
     
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Toss some wood in the fire. Sit back in a chair. Get a couple good books and be patient. The storm will come and go away. It will melt. Everything is working against the snow hanging around. No need to bust your butt over this mess.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks like rain and storms here with some snow during the tail end. Good luck you northern guys. I hope you get snow for some more sledding.
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We'll take what's left after this snowfall for sledding, we're looking forward to spring, time for some serious cutting.
     
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I want to bring some more wood out for next season and I like working in the woods when the temperatures are like this. No bugs, no heat. My kind of cutting weather. My pile is getting to be a good size, all the wood I have brought out is blocked up. Now I will need to figure out how I am going to split it all. Time to find a rental. Maybe Little River Rentals. ?

    If the going is too rough in the woods, I have a few trees I need to take down next to the old camp road. So they will come down and I will get some wood out of them. We will see how long it takes to get things cleaned up Thursday morning.
     
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Yep more snow :mad:
     
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Ya, I hear ya there. I'm ready for more melting, land drying so I can get back to work. Big mess right now.
     
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Once all the melting has begun, snow cover is gone, and ground begins to unfreeze, it will probably be two months before I can go to much of my property. I have to stay off of much of it with anything heavy because it turns way to wet. The dirt becomes like grease, like someone else said, if you try to drive on it.................. o_O
     
  12. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    A good rain will drive the frost right out of the ground. No idea what we have for frost this year. Seen it a few feet down, and seen none at all. Seen it be in one area, but not in another.
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I just got done plowing with the Rhino, what a nice night for that job, I'll be hooking up the big plow tomorrow morning on the Ford SD 250.

    I did make a run to the wood stacks just so I could see if I would get stuck with the rhino, I made it through so we'll be pushing in some wood tomorrow.

    They're calling for 10-20 inches tomorrow for this area, it will be a mess if we get the 20.
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks like you're getting snow as I type here this morning...zap!
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The snow started at 8:39 a.m., the wind at the moment seems to come & go, the snow is starting to pick up some but nothing bad yet.

    I did get the plow on the Ford SD 250, cut back some banks then parked it, moved more wood in before the chit hits the fan, covered some of next years Cherry instead of covering next years shoulder season wood, I have more Cherry c/s/s then the shoulder season wood so that's why I did that.
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    They're saying in my old hometown that the frost is down five feet this year, I'm thinking that came from the town or village crews that replaced some busted lines.
     
  17. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Looks like about 6" of new snow out here right now
     
  18. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    3 days of snow melt, heavy rain later, possible SEVER tstorms, changing to sleet and snow after midnight, and an inch or two by morning. Temperature plunge overnight with winds gusting to 45mph. I expect heavy flooding and some power outages with trees loosened in the saturated ground, although I don't know the frost line. Should be fun. Be safe
     
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It seems like you're getting all the seasons in this storm, stay safe. The worst of the storm for us is tonight, we're set if we lose power.

    The highest I see in the wind forecast for us is gust up to 35 mph.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We're starting to get it pretty good, from the weather reports it will pick up even more, your wood might have to wait.