In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

E bikes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by BrianK, Jul 15, 2020.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

62 miles on the bike with 1 ride on a rails to trails type ride. That was 15 miles and very nice. Not so much concentrating as riding on my basically old logging trails. It was actually a gas line right of way and a mile or so was across a tidal marsh. This was down near the coast. 20200913_131117.jpg 20200913_131114.jpg
    I'm really liking this thing, so does the dog.

2. BrianK

BrianK

Well, my trip last fall was cut short by vehicle problems, which was providential, because I ended up with an acute gangrenous gallbladder while I would have been in Montana. I got the gallbladder out, was discharged after five days, then had bad complications and went back in the hospital two days later for another five days.

I don’t know if the surgery and complications triggered it, but I went into severe acute congestive heart failure in October and November due to left bundle branch block from an old heart attack. My left sided cardiac ejection fraction fell to 18%. (Yeah, that’s bad.) so I had surgery for a biventricular pacemaker defibrillator in December, then Covid in April.

Needless to say I hadn’t ridden my e bike since August. I finally got it out, dusted it off, and started riding again three weeks ago.

Today I went 11.5 miles on hilly back roads. In 87• heat. But it feels good to get back in the saddle! 599BC965-FD72-48B4-AE9E-57A466CD425B.jpeg

3. BrianK

BrianK

Eventually my goal is to complete the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage in Spain. You can complete it and get the certificate of accomplishment by e bike (as long as it’s only pedal activated, no throttle) and the tour companies will rent you one there, bring it to you at the beginning of your trip then pick it up when you’re done.

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Sorry to hear of your health issues but please be careful in this heat. Don't need to go back in the hospital.

5. BrianK

BrianK

Thanks. I keep water in my saddle bag, and I’m never that far from home on my current loop. When I ride the rails to trails I have to be more careful as it takes me ten miles out from my starting point.

6. fuelrod

fuelrod

I'm happy to report that although I only have 212 miles on my bike, I still use it just about daily. I was concerned that the "new shiney" would wear off and it would become a fairly expensive idea gone bad.
    I haven't hauled it anywhere to ride in a long time, like last fall so about 160 miles is here on the property. It may only be a mile or two at a time but the dog loves it and it's a great way to give him the time outside. He's a good mouser but chipmunks are his favorite chase. He has me trained to ride around in circles while he's hunting until I follow him to his next search area. He's just as happy riding in the basket also.
    20210410_143333.jpg

7. Skier76

Skier76

Wow! Glad you are better now BrianK. Hang in there.

I'm starting to see more and more of these bikes around. I've seen them in VT on our local biking path. I saw them in RI near the beach while on vacation. As I see them more, I get the use cases. You can cover a lot more ground with much less effort. I can see these being viable to using a vehicles in certain instances.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Is he a rat terrier mix? or Jack Russel? Our male rat terrier would sit and stare a squirrel until the squirrel would come down closer to see what Rascal was. He didn't catch one but he was close. He did catch and kill mice and rats.

9. fuelrod

fuelrod

He's a Jack, and has a sister coming in about 6 weeks. :D

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  10. BrianK

BrianK

My sixteen year old niece has a cottage industry making custom t shirts. She finally got around to making my e bike shirt. 07967A8A-CB3F-4125-A67E-77CFFB28892D.jpeg 27A8E3E6-AEC1-4521-A565-D6FBE2FBC69A.jpeg

11. BrianK

BrianK

I’m thinking about trading in my e bike…

12. Semipro

Semipro

It would get you to the hospital faster anyway, one way or another.

Chazsbetterhalf, BrianK and eatonpcat like this.
  13. BrianK

BrianK

I went out to the Western Maryland Rail Trail today with a good friend, and we parked at the Big Pool parking area access, the beginning of this paved bike path. He was riding a slick ultra-lightweight carbon road bike and I was on my fat tire e bike. We rode 15 miles west before turning around.

We rode 5 miles back and stopped in Hancock MD for lunch at BuddyLou’s Eats and Drinks and had an awesome lunch, then rode the ten miles back to the car. We averaged 14 mph.

So that’s 30 miles on an e bike today, a personal record, the farthest I’ve ever ridden any bike, either before or after the strokes I had five and a half years age that left my left arm and leg temporarily paralyzed.

14. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Good job Brian. Hopefully your not sore today.

BrianK likes this.