In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump trailer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by OhioStihl, Feb 8, 2018.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I've heard stories around town here lately that the DOT guys are sitting near a local scrap yard and going after overloaded t-tags and trailers hauling skidsteers and small equipment. Really targeting these small landscape guys and scrappers pulling trailers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    JustWood and eatonpcat like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Beautiful trailer...I say load it, overload it and pull it, better to ask for forgiveness than for permission!!

3. huskihl

huskihl

In Michigan, they go by the number of and width of tires, as well as the wheel base. It's usually more weight than your smaller vehicle or trailer can haul. For example, with weight restrictions in the spring, with 225 width tires on my dually, I could have 11,000 lbs on the rear axle of the truck. It's more than that for the other 11 months of the year. They don't care what the vehicle is rated for, which in my case was 12k lbs for both axles. That's only for commercial vehicles. They rarely mess with personal vehicles and trailers, unless something was obviously unsafe

eatonpcat likes this.
  4. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Beautiful trailer. I really really want to buy one. Can’t get myself to spend the $4K for a used or close to $7k for a new one when I can make an extra trip or two with the dually and get the job done. Someday though. #jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eatonpcat likes this.
  5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I love mine 6' X 12 Bri Mar. 12K Gross. Makes firewooding that much less work. Haul the saws and gear in the truck & fill the trailer. No issues hauling or dumping full loads. Good find!

Attached Files:

6. Spencer

Spencer

Looks like a nice trailer. I have always wanted a dump, but cant justify it.

OhioStihl and eatonpcat like this.
  7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Sure you can Spencer ya just get a little creative in yer thinkin.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Spencer likes this.
  8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I really like that idea as well. A trailer of that size could not only minimize the number of trips, but maximize the wood you get from a given source as well.

Some of the CL scores I get wood from will have 1-2 other hoarders working the pile. If I can stay and keep cutting and loading instead of making a trip home, that's more for me!

brenndatomu and OhioStihl like this.
  9. Carbine

Carbine

That baby is nice!

I think I'm going to go full heathen this year and put a dump insert in my 5x8 beater/tilt trailer. I thought about building an insert for it, but the scissor and hydraulics are going to cost me what I can have in a used insert. Should be fine for local scrounges.

I used to have a 14' Bri-Mar, but don't have the truck to pull it loaded.

10. Boogeyman

Boogeyman

Can't wait to see that thing and your truck loaded down in the loaded trucks section. I trust you will put that to good use

OhioStihl likes this.
  11. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

It's be pretty hard to get 2 cord in a 12' trailer. I really wanted a dump trailer but to get one big enough for my wants, it would be very expensive.

This is what an 8' box in a 3/4 ton Super Duty looks like with an 18' trailer. BTW, this has a little stacked, most loose tossed and it is about 1.7 cord between the truck AND trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

huskihl likes this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

eatonpcat likes this.
  14. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Nice load of wood. I’ll do the calculations and figure out what I can haul if I stack the wood in my truck and trailer.

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  15. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I ran the the numbers in the cord calculator. A 12ft x 6.5 x 3.5 trailer will haul 2.13 cords if stacked. The truck should hold a cord if stacked tight with my wood racks on. The reality is I don’t really need to haul 3 cords but it would still fun to say I could if I wanted to.

16. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

You factor changes a great deal when comparing stacked vs. loose tossed. Instead of 128 cubic feet you need to use 190 cubic feet.

So in the pic I posted, the truck has about .5 and the trailer 1.2 cord. The stuff in the truck had some stacked too.

94BULLITT likes this.
  17. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I haul 1.3 cords, 82''x12'x25.'' If added 1' of boards on the sides I would be right at 2 cords. The trailer is a 12k gross, so depending on what kind of wood I was hauling the trailer would be overloaded a little.

[​IMG]

BZOR, Boogeyman, MikeyB and 7 others like this.
  18. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

That is exactly what I am talking about. There is a HUGE difference between loose tossed and stacked wood. In this example you have roughly the same amount in your 12' trailer as I have in mine which is 18' but loose tossed.

19. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Nice dump! Definitely a firewood hoarders dream. The best part in my opinion is not having to unload and handle the wood. Just hit the button and drive away.

I'm very fortunate in that one of my best firewood sources is a 200 acre farm. They beg me to take away firewood since they have heavily wooded cow pastures. The wood is always in their way and they have free gas. Whenever I go there to hoard, I saw, they scoop the logs up with their skid steer, dump it in their dump trailer and we drive it to my house and dump it by my splitting station.

Sure beats lifting it numerous times before evening getting to split it!

20. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

You have found a gold mine, hope you continue to treat it as such!!

Born2Burn likes this.