In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump trailer vs small dump truck?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dewittmichiganwood, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Chaz

Chaz

Kinda was interested in this one on FB marketplace..

well, that didn't work.
    :picard:
    Dump trailer for $4500
    Screenshot_20190914-163854.png
    Says it's a 14,000 lb dumper

But, trying to get some things paid off first.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I hear PJ makes a decent unit

3. Chaz

Chaz

I've heard that as well, and the seller may budge on price, but I'm working on having the credit cards and our truck paid off @ the end of the month.

Only thing left owed on after this will be the house (6 more years) and the tractor, which hopefully will be paid off this time next year.

No purchases till after these goals are attained.

Woodsnwoods, GrJfer, Hammy and 8 others like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row, congratulations!

5. Chaz

Chaz

Thnx.

Well, in my experience, ducks seldom stay in a row.
    :rofl: :lol:

And @ 50, I'd say it's about time I got to this point.
    :)

Would've preferred to be here 15 years ago, but I learn certain lessons slowly.
    :emb:

6. mdavlee

mdavlee

Dump trailers are great. I’d grab that one now and worry about paying the stuff off next month if it’s like my area. That trailer is either rusted out or a really great deal. They usually bring $6-8k used in my neck of the woods for that size trailer.

7. Chaz

Chaz

Unfortunately it's an either/or situation.

Either I pay off the cards/or I purchase (for now) unnecessary equipment.

I'll stick with my game plan and hope for good pickings down the road.

8. mdavlee

mdavlee

Ahhh. I thought it was just take another month to pay that stuff off. I bought my cattle trailer on credit when the exact one I wanted popped up and I didn’t have all the cash right then. It was get it now or who knows when one at that price would come along. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to save the $4500 over new when I needed one.

9. Blstr88

Blstr88

IMG_5130.JPG I vote for dump trailer as well.

I had bought a small 6 wheel dump truck but never had any time to get it going. Recently sold it and picked up this 6x10 Hawke deckover.

The Hawke was the only one in this size I could find with a scissor lift which I really wanted. Adjustable coupler and 2 way gate (swings open or can be used as spreader) were two other selling points for me.

I was torn between this and a 6x10 low profile Suretrac...the Suretrac is the better trailer I think after looking at them both, but no scissor lift and $1000+ more made me choose the Hawke. I wanted the low pro so I could use it to move my little tractor around if need be...but that's very rare, so I figured if I need to move it once in a while I'll just use this one.

10. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Doesn't seem that it's commercial if the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer is less than 26k.. So a 12k trailer behind a 10k truck should still be non-commerical.
    From the NY DMV website.

D Operator Age 18 or over, or age 17 with Driver Education.
    • Passenger cars and trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.
    • A vehicle that tows another vehicle (for example a trailer) that has a maximum gross weight of 10,000 lbs. or less.
    • Can tow a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs only if the combined weight rating of the two vehicles is 26,000 lbs. or less.
    • Limited Use Motorcycles (mopeds)
    New York State driver license types and classes

11. JustWood

JustWood Guest

DOT Mandates May Apply When Using Trailers

12. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I’m not going to argue with that. But that article addresses a situation in which it is a company truck and not one owned by an individual. Prob why a lot of truck and trailer combinations on the road have “Not for Hire” stenciled on them. Probably been stopped one too many times.

13. Chaz

Chaz

I know one of my coworker's has that "Not For Hire" on his dumper, insurance purposes primarily he said, but I'm not up on NY DOT regulations.

Oh, as an aside, my ducks went "out of row"
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Purchased this on Friday..
    :whistle:

20190922_093438.jpg

'09 Kingquad 500

This explains why the savings acct is in Chazsbetterhalf capable hands.
    :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  14. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Not for hire exempts a business or individual from MC,ICC, and PUC accounts/regulation. DOT regulations start at 10K no matter what the situation . It's a safety issue and the fact that a homeowner doesn't need anything over 10K. Don't believe me rent a 14K trailer ,load it up and run it down to the nearest weigh station on the interstate.

15. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

So for what its worth, I bought a big tex 14 ft, 14K trailer new last fall. I have a 3/4 ton duramax pulling it. I fill the truck up reasonably, and heap the trailer with logs/rounds etc. I have also had about 12k of gravel on it, or whatever weight it was that it couldn't dump so I pulled off some with the excavator. I registered it in Maine, for the full weight. I use it locally, except for when i take woods to my parents 3 hours away. Generally speaking, DOT likely will not bother you unless on a major highway or crossing state lines etc. Its a risk and thus far I have had no issues at all. I will say if you get a trailer, go as big as your tow rig will handle safely. A 7K trailer would not work for me, as I move my tractor and excavator and a million other things with it. use your head loading it and the truck, checking balance and tire pressures etc. Rocket science is not required as some may think. Regardless, good luck and let us know where you land.

16. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

A fact? Travel trailers and horse trailers are routinely over 10k. So one can not own/use one of those unless they have a business? The information I pulled was straight from the DMV website. Now does that prevent a peace officer from harassing you and writing a citation? Absolutely not! But I’d be comfortable going to court showing the judge the info from the DMV site as well as my truck’s capabilities and limitations..

17. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Agreed. Unless you are grossly overweight, have no lights, no brakes, or the load isn’t secured, DOT likely will not care. It is only a safety issue if you are incompetent, have the issues I just mentioned, or you are inexperienced. There is a reason they sell those $60,000 half tons, and it is not for towinga trailer like mine.

mdavlee, Chaz, amateur cutter and 6 others like this.
  18. ironpony

ironpony

I kind of figured this is what was going to happen when I mentioned weights.
    Yes everyone does it
    Yes you will probably never have an issue
    But get into an accident and who knows what the lawyers will do.
    One of the reasons I carry millions in insurance.

19. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I'm for the dump truck. A friend of mine bought one and it was amazing. A total game changer. I am planning a dump bed build for my truck because unloading by hand once you have already loaded it is a joke. I could easily double my productivity and be less tired with a dump. It will add some weight to the truck, but even with a smaller load, it would still be a huge win. I don't like pulling trailers unless I need to and prefer to put the weight on the truck rather than a trailer. My truck will carry 6k without any trouble.

20. Chaz

Chaz

Buffalo NY trailer..

Another FBMP listing.

Screenshot_20191003-144040.png