In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump scores

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Dec 2, 2021.

  1. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I'm going to post all the wood I get from the local dump in this thread. I know I've posted dump scores before so I'll start off with what I got the other day.

    2021-12-01 10.34.01.jpg

    Here's a piece of mulberry I'm going to keep for wood turning purposes.

    2021-12-01 11.33.00.jpg 2021-12-01 11.33.02.jpg 2021-12-01 11.33.05.jpg

    I'm not sure what this is yet. I should know when I split it.

    2021-12-01 11.35.28.jpg

    Got me some hemlock for the first time. Didn't realize it was so light.

    2021-12-01 11.36.55.jpg 2021-12-01 11.38.21.jpg

    More hemlock.

    2021-12-01 11.38.25.jpg 2021-12-01 11.50.35.jpg 2021-12-01 12.03.20.jpg 2021-12-01 12.02.58.jpg
     
    Ron T, NYCountry, M2theB and 19 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Love that mulberry. Cool when you buck it and saw spits out the yellow chips. Love to score me some more of that. Rare tree in these parts.
     
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,566
    Likes Received:
    67,884
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Nice dump score :thumbs:
    This one could be tree of heaven. If underneath the bark smells like rancid peanut butter, that's what I'd put my money on.

    toh.jpg
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I thought the same, but the bark is too thick. I think its some sort of red oak. Split it open LordOfTheFlies for us.
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,566
    Likes Received:
    67,884
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Ahhh I see what you're driving at with the appearance of a faint sapwood ring. Possibly Pin Oak with that smooth bark. I'm not sure I see any medullary rays though.
     
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    yup. TOH has a center pith too, but cant tell in his quarter.
    ruffage
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,216
    Location:
    Central MI
    Pin oak is much darker wood.

    Pin oak cut-2.JPG
     
  8. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,566
    Likes Received:
    67,884
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I've only gotten pin oak once, and it was just a couple rounds at that. Fresh cut it was pretty dark red, but after a few months as the ends dried I remember it lightened up quite a bit. Maybe not as light as the OP's picture though...
     
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Pin has a much darker heartwood...reddish brown to brown and it does lighten up in color similar to
    LOTF's quarter.
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Pin oak pic from June. Fresh cut and days old cut ends IMG_5142.JPG
     
  11. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,264
    Likes Received:
    54,137
    Location:
    NC
    The butt end of the trunk doesn’t have dark color. My first impression was oak. Scarlet oak has a smooth bark also. Nuttall oak is planted outside of its native range and can have a smoother bark for an oak. Shumard is another.
    Oak id is hard. If you ever see an overcup oak it’s acorns are a good identifier.
     
  12. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Eric Schamell wins! It definitely smelled like rancid peanut butter under the bark. And it doesn't look or smell like oak to me at all. Very thin bark and yeah it was already quartered like that when I found it. I figured I could make some hardwood kindling out of it since these pieces are so short. Very heavy, seemed very wet, and I did notice the smell yesterday when a small piece of bark fell off when I moving the rounds but wanted to make sure just now.

    Here's a pic of it split. Kind of reminds me of honey locust in its texture but much lighter in color.

    2021-12-02 15.21.19.jpg
     
  13. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    And yes I agree pin oak has much darker wood (of what I've seen) and has distinctive vertical lines in the bark. This bark was dense, thin, and stinky!
     
    amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Those are new to me and only heard of scarlet oak from here. If you ever cut any of those post a bunch of pics Chud
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,787
    Likes Received:
    215,214
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Pin oak smells like manure. Not my favorite, but do like it as i do all the red oaks.
     
  16. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    To me your typical red oak smells like ketchup, very vinegary. Pin oak smells like swamp poop. Yuck. Almost as bad as cottonwood.
     
  17. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Got a few rounds of red oak, some Norway maple, some sugar maple, one barkless round of poplar at the dump yesterday. Split and stacked already.

    Started a new stack using plastic pallets.

    IMG_20211228_145315.jpg IMG_20211229_104929.jpg IMG_20211229_105019.jpg IMG_20211229_110149.jpg IMG_20211229_110343.jpg IMG_20211229_110558.jpg IMG_20211229_112316.jpg IMG_20211229_113618.jpg IMG_20211229_114307.jpg IMG_20211229_114321.jpg
     
    Ron T, MikeyB, Sandhillbilly and 12 others like this.