In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dryness from burning pellet and wood stoves

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by ttdberg, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

ivanhoe, wildwest, CleanFire and 4 others like this.
  2. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Sometimes I can find O'Keeffe's in a double size can. Available everywhere Wally World, Target (The french store), Grocery stores, Hardware stores, Drug stores, Probably a couple of gas stations too, lol

It says to wash your hands first and dry them. Then apply. It goes on like smearing butter on your hands but in about a minute it gets waxy feeling, Then about a minute later you don't notice it at all.

Handling paper (Mail and cardboard boxes) all day and being out in the weather (wet and cold) without a glove makes my finger tips crack.
    The O'Keeffes does a good job of keeping it at bay all winter. I also sometimes use Eucerin Cream. Cream is better than lotion. The lotion has more water in it so it drys faster but not as much oil to heal the crack(s). The Eucerin will leave them greasy but I use it when they get really bad and I forget to use the Working Hands.
    ---Nailer---

Luneyburg, ivanhoe, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  3. dotman17

dotman17

Nice.

ivanhoe, wildwest, imacman and 4 others like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

There's been several humidifier discussions here that I followed, here's a recent one. Just hard here to keep *any* water in the air with the climate period, than and/or/both pellet & wood stoves its a bit of a losing battle.

Whole house humidifiers

ivanhoe, bogieb, CleanFire and 2 others like this.
  5. CleanFire

CleanFire

Don't have a good answer for you TT, only that we are up to (3) cheapo warm-mist humidifiers in the house now: inexpensive (22$) 1 gallon Sunbeam and slightly more $$$ (32) Vicks brand from WallyWorld -

liking the Vicks humidifier we just picked up, for the extra $10 bucks or so.

We have hard water here - heating elements are toast by April, have been replacing them every season.

6. badbob

badbob

Yep,no magic answer.I also remember times,being a mechanic,I scrubbed my hands,coated them in lotion/cream,put socks over them,before bed.Did it a lot before "mechanics" disposable gloves came out.

7. bogieb

bogieb

I have the cheap Vicks ($15) and like it better than the more expensive one - I got the more expensive one last year and only used it a couple of weeks before retiring it and digging out the old one. It is easier to clean if you have issues with water (my town has some rust in water).

8. CleanFire

CleanFire

Thanks! Need to pickup a 4th for the ladies room today - will give this one a whirl. :yes:

9. krooser

krooser

I usually throw a bucket of water onto the stove once per day... get's pretty steamy for 15 minutes or so but it's effective... :loco: :crazy:

10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

11. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Does that clean the glass too??????? :faint:

12. dotman17

dotman17

What types of materials do you use to place on top of the stove? Cast iron? Steel? I just got back from the local stove shop and they were charging like $130 for some of these tea kettles made of cast iron. All I want to do is set some apparatus on top of our trivet.

Suggestions?

13. dotman17

dotman17

Stainless steel?

14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Likely cracks it.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

sorry, I was too busy googling the Brody Chemical lotion. Hanging out at about 18% RH with the aquarium.

Anything that won't rust, stainless steel, enamaled cast iron. I've used a cheap $10 tea kettle too. I've seen those expensive wood stove tea kettles too, was thinking they all that cast iron had good thermal mass.

Slickdeals: Searching for "lodge enamel"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  16. Earl764

Earl764

Last year I bought a new humidifier. Normally the plastic gets gunked up with bacteria which will make you sick over time. Pain in the azz to clean.

This new type eliminates that. The water gets fed into a giant wick, and a fan blows through that.

It has a uv light to kill bacteria and I also use those silver pods, since silver will naturally kill a lot of nasty things like that.

You replace the wick as needed.

Has meant I don’t have to clean the unit nearly as often.

17. imacman

imacman

Info on the silver pods??? I have the big Emerson unit that has replaceable wicks, but have just been putting a few capfuls of bacteriostat liquid in....maybe the silver is a better (and easier?) solution?
    Welcome to Sears.com

wildwest, ivanhoe, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  18. Earl764

Earl764

19. Warner

Warner

981F38E4-AFDE-4B90-B57E-9810294D432A.png This is what I have Been using directly on my stovetop for the last 3 heat seasons. It ain’t much to look at but gets the job done.

20. imacman

imacman

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.