In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dropped a dead, rotten black birch today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mike bayerl, May 7, 2016.

  1. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    I took down this small dead, double-trunker today. Wound up doing a little rigging with a snatch block and Masdam puller. Worked really well. I'm definitely glad I rigged it. The longer trunk broke right in half well above the rope, flipped over while as it was falling and actually the tip top of it (lower left in the picture) wound up about 4' behind the stump . Thankfully, I was at least a 75 feet away working the puller. P.S., Be SUPER careful with dead trees.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
     
  2. Sean

    Sean

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2015
    Messages:
    2,873
    Likes Received:
    16,813
    Location:
    Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    wow mike bayerl that could have been scary if you weren't prepared. Good for you for being safe. I was out dropping trees last night and had my senses on alert as well (post to come later). Glad it worked out. Could you salvage any of that black birch or was it all destined to be soil?
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    wildwest likes this.