In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

DOW 20k!!! - the investing thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by basod, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

still trying to balance to get back to my desired ratios..

T.Jeff Veal and hovlandhomestead like this.
  2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Wished I hadn't maxed out my 2020 Roth now! Tossed a little into VTI Friday. Will have to go digging in the wifes purse for more!

Gary

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looks like the dow is having another good day!

T.Jeff Veal and wildwest like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

5. blacktail

blacktail

Well, anyone else buying right now?

6. BCB

BCB

I bought more VTSAX last Thursday :doh:

7. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Bought 20 shares VTI Monday and 6 shares yesterday.
    Tapped out for a bit now.

Gary

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Still waiting! basically all we lost is the gains from January and February of this year.. unless you have a
    A particular item youreally like

9. bushpilot

bushpilot

I am at 75% stocks right now (US and Intl), so not much buying room left here. I was 100% stocks for most of my life, but at my stage in life I can't put my neck out that far anymore.

If I were buying, I like some REITs and oil stocks at their current valuations. I think value will trump growth for the near future, and like Schwab's "fundamental" funds for that reason. Large cap index funds are now driven by the tech giants, so they are not on my buy list. Small cap value funds, like RVT, RMT, and FUND might look good going forward, if bought at a decent discount (these are Closed End Funds).

I like dividends, so anything I buy will have to be paying one.

10. ole

ole

We turned some paper assets into cold hard cash last Thursday morning. Glad I didn’t wait till this week!

11. lukem

lukem

I dropped my tax refund into an IRA a few weeks ago. Stings a little now, but it will amount to a tiny fraction of a % over the next 20 years.

BCB, T.Jeff Veal, blacktail and 3 others like this.
  12. billb3

billb3

Rule of 72 doubles your money at (what some consider) the market average of 7% in just 10 years.
    Even at current CD rates $500 would become $750 (20 years)
    As painful as it can be I've always believed (at least) matching the 6.2 % social security takes out of wages should be a minimum for retirement planning.

13. lukem

lukem

I plopped 5K into the market....now it's worth 4,650. That 350 I "lost" would represent 1,350 in 20 years at 7%. 1,350 is peanuts (.135%) on a 1MM (or larger) portfolio. Like I said, it stings a little now seeing the market drop 7%, but in the long game it ain't nothin.

I'm betting 0% of my retirement income on SS. I would gladly take a check for everything I've contributed so far, essentially give them a free loan, never to be involved in it again.

14. billb3

billb3

SS still isn't such a bad investment considering it is essentially risk-free. Once you start taking a little risk though (instead of just spending it like the average person would) you can certainly do better.
    But yeah you shouldn't count on it as it is bare minimum .

T.Jeff Veal and hovlandhomestead like this.
  15. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I bought a little bit of BABA Monday morning at open, but keeping 40% dry powder for the next year in case there is a hard reset. I like Apple, but I’m only buying when their P/E < 13, which seems to happen every few years.

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

mrfancyplants just Remember Apple’s big deal is a new product launch that supposed to happen before Christmas in the US. Problem is with the “the virus hitting Chyna they’re going to be delayed which will reduce their earnings fourth quarter of this year

17. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Wow what a ride today with dow swinging 650 points. I anticipate downward volatility for the foreseeable future.

I am not a stock picker and fairly skeptical by nature of financial engineering/MMT, so I moved to 100% stable value in my 401K on Monday from 20/80. My balance was only down .0054% that day, and then up marginally yesterday. During the last 8 months I was in 20/80 and my portfolio did pretty well, and I slept really well, but lately the macro economic picture was nagging me even more than it was over the last year.

I plan on staying put through the election, and maybe longer if it takes a year to get through the next significant downturn, which is over due, and then will likely get back to a fairly aggressive portfolio. I think a pretty dramatic downturn is possible given concerns with supply chains, the energy sector, the travel/leisure sector, stubbornly tepid GDP growth in advanced economies, diminishing returns on debt, and the flattening/inversion of the yield curve. I wonder if at this stage further Fed interest rates cuts and QE may be stock market negative at some point soon. Until now bad news has been good news for stocks as it meant further stimulus measures which pushed capital in risk assets. That sentiment may be ending soon. We shall see. Good luck everyone in your investing. One thing for sure things will be innteresting moving forward from here at this late stage of the cycle.

18. blacktail

blacktail

I had some cash sitting in my IRA and put half into an S&P index fund Monday night after the dip. Gonna see what happens before I put the rest in. If we get a real correction, I'll put all of this year's contribution in.

19. billb3

billb3

Rahm Emanuel: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste".

Yeah, I'm in no hurry. Some are talking a V shaped dip but I'm not so sure . Could be I missed out already, it's happened before.

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

how when it’s still going down??

wildwest, BCB, billb3 and 1 other person like this.