In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Door Gasket Needs Relacement

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trooper, May 13, 2017.

1. Marvin

Marvin

Got up in to the 60s today so decided to change my door gasket.

This little guy made quick work of cleaning the gasket channel...

20191126_155407.jpg

It even cleaned the corners nicely...

20191126_155452.jpg

Pile of old silicone...

20191126_154957.jpg

New gasket in...looks like I'll have to trim some excess silicone...

20191126_161444.jpg

How long do you guys usually let it set up? The container said 24 hours before exposing to water. I have no plans of drenching it anytime soon.

HDRock, Thor, papadave and 1 other person like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Smart call in the wire wheel. Had I used that, it would've made my door gasket job easier. Put the door on the hinges, put up a piece of newspaper to keep the cement from goobing up your stove, and close the door latch. Ideally let it sit overnight for 24 hrs, but different cement/ glues have different set/ use times. If it says nothing about not using it right away, then go ahead. I did with mine.

What cement/ glue did you use? Rutland?

I won't be using the I've I used before on my next job. It's too runny and my door is impossible to have all three sides flat on a bow front door. I need one more like an RTV gasket sealant.

Thor and Marvin like this.
  3. Marvin

Marvin

I used some that I got from SBI last year. Englander sent some with it but the SBI stuff had a max of 650*. The Englander silicone was 500*. I didnt realize it was red until after I started though :doh:

Thor and Horkn like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

Well here we are about 10 years after my last gasket replacement and it was pretty raggedy , especially around the latch and getting hard to control the stove , it definitely had some leaks around it.
    More pretty cold weather coming up around here , good day to do it today before the cold gets here , 37 °F here today
    I had everything I to do the job on hand ready to go when needed , wire wheel , drill motor , gasket cement and of course door gasket
    It's been setting up for about a hour and a half , The Meeco's Red Devil gasket cement says it needs to set up for two hours but I won't start a fire until 11:00 PM

20220112_184329.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022