In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Door Gasket Needs Relacement

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trooper, May 13, 2017.

1. lukem

lukem

You could try either....flip the gasket or scrunch up the 3/4 gasket. Just make sure you to a dollar bill test when you're done.

Old stoves used to use furnace cement to hold the gasket on instead of silicone. Doesn't take much.

Well Seasoned and Marvin like this.
  2. HDRock

HDRock

Scrunch that 3/4" gasket up real tight And measure it To see how close you get to 7/8

3. Marvin

Marvin

I got it in. The door seemed a lot tighter. I guess I will find out once it cures. One problem I ran in to....the glass gasket kit did not cover all 3 pieces of glass :hair: I guess I'll order another kit. Also one of the screws that holds the glass tight snapped off. I hope it doesnt leak there. I'll have to drill a new hole sometime and put one in. I guess Murphy showed up to help me out.

Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

So do you have a gap there were there is no glass gasket present ?
    One thing after another I hope you get it fixed up Where it works right .
    Do You have a backup heat source ?

5. Marvin

Marvin

I just kept the old gasket on it for now. Hopefully it will be okay until I can get another one.

Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

So i got a new gasket for my quadrafire 4100i. All of the online research says it uses 3/4" rope gasket, so I bought a kit from a Wisconsin eBay seller. The gasket cement is from Gaskets Inc, whom I used to buy from when I worked for a place that made Regenerative Thermal Oxidizers, essentially giant blast furnaces that burn off VOC's. Those RTO's always needed gaskets. I'm certain the materials I bought are good quality.

My only issue is that the existing gasket on the door looks way smaller than the 3/4" gasket I bought.

Is it just that the old gasket is smooshed down making it look smaller?

I don't want to pull the old gasket out and then realize that I need a different gasket size. I've never changed the gasket yet, but it's starting to leak on the hinge side.

So I'm looking to see if anyone that owns this stove can let me know if I have the right gasket or not. Paul bunion ?

7. lukem

lukem

New gaskets usually look big. Not sure what your stove calls for, but I can understand the "there's no way this is the right size for my stove" feeling.

8. HDRock

HDRock

My gasket is 7/8 Looks really fat And The old one definitely looks smaller On the door .
    Seems to me I remember someone with the stove like yours did post About replacing the gasket Could have been Paul bunion

brenndatomu and Well Seasoned like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Ok, I didn't do enough homework. From the manual....
    Screenshot_2018-12-27-22-30-08.png
    This says it takes .625" rope gasket. That would be 5/8". I'll mention it to the eBay retailer after I measure the channel on the stove as extra reassurance. I'm assuming I'll just need to buy the correct gasket. I'll still wait to see what Mr Bunion says though.

brenndatomu, Well Seasoned and Marvin like this.
  10. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

36BED462-EF62-4102-925F-E3B0BAA38B84.jpeg
    Sounds kind of like me. My memory is poor on this one but I think I bought a chunk of rope from a local stove shop and cemented it in. And since I never throw anything away I think this scrap is what was left over.

11. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Don't confuse the door glass gasket with the window gasket. They are definitely different sizes.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, I'm talking the door gasket. Afaik, the glass gaskets are good.

What size diameter is the stuff you have?

13. Locust Post

Locust Post

Good luck Horkn I will say I used gasket cement on my old stove and never liked the way it worked because if you get too much soak through it can make the gasket a bit brittle. When I changed this time Buck recommended and uses high temp silicone on their gaskets.

brenndatomu, HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Horkn

As I remember, there are two ways to measure the gaskets.

You probably need the high density stuff. Noticeable difference between 5/8 gasket and 5/8 high density stuff.

15. Horkn

Horkn

The screenshot II hav from the quadrafire manual says it needs low density rope gasket.

I found a place that sells the right gasket.

16. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

The piece I have seems to be 3/4. I don’t know the difference between low and high density. I’m guessing that it’s low as it is rather hollow.

428130B1-C449-46C2-ACB5-B27CC2DDB9E0.jpeg

brenndatomu, HDRock, LongShot and 3 others like this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

Thanks! Maybe it will work? Now I'm hesitant to do anything unless I know for certain that a local store has it in the shelf.

Also there's apparently two different latches for 4100i models. Mines different than the one in the manual I posted above. So I wonder if there's 2 gasket thicknesses? I'll dig up my manual, not the one I found on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    brenndatomu and HDRock like this.
  18. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

My stove is an early model. From when the fan did not have a bypass switch to turn it on.

As I recall I bought the gasket locally. But I don’t remember exactly how I figured out what I needed. Other than I did spend a lot of time looking at schematics to find the right parts.

Are you replacing the latch? I did that too. The roller catch wore down to nothing. Bought that from Black Swam Stoves.

19. HDRock

HDRock

I agree And I found in my manual for my lopi , That is Says to use high temp silicone ,so, That's what I'm going to use next time

20. HDRock

HDRock

I had so much trouble with the different brands of gasket cement That is another good reason not to use it

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.