In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Does the size of the split affect the catalytic combustion?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Marshel54, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac

Very interesting! My stove seems to burn consistent and steady. While burning (At least until the coal stage) the Cat has a nice orange glow to it. My temp gage behind the Cat seems to hold a very steady temperature. I was initially thinking it may have been so clean due to the low MC of my wood being burned. My wood was 3 years old, stored under cover, and MC averaged about 10-15%. My wood is all split 3"-4". I assumed it was just burning very clean. My chimney also stayed very clean all winter with only a light grey, powdery, dust. The chimney cleaned really nice with only two quick swipes with the brush. This really has spiked my curiosity about being low draft as I have no backdraft issues.

2. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac

I will be checking the temp at the top of the chimney this winter while burning normal heat output. I wanted to do this last winter and never got around to it. I did put my hand a couple inches into the chimney one time while it was burning and it wasn't really that hot. I'm interested in knowing what an actual temp will be to get an idea how much heat is being extracted before it makes it up the flue. If I had to guess, due to the fact that the air just felt kinda warm, the heat going out was probably around 110/120 degrees or so. I'll know exactly before long. Haven't had to fire up the stove yet for this season.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

General rule of thumb is that you want the flue gasses at least 250*F at the top of the chimney, but as long as it's over 212*F, you'd be ok (but that leaves zero margin for error/weather changes/etc) anything under that, the gasses will start to condense and mix with the particulates in the flue gasses, and that makes creosote.

Pyromaniac likes this.
  4. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac

Good deal! That gives me some target information. I'll be reporting back with actual numbers once I start burning.

brenndatomu likes this.