In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Distribution fan fun

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Mr Brick, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Mr Brick

Mr Brick

Just had the distribution fan in my harman p43 start working intermittently, pulled it off, and the motor was way too hot. Cleaned it out, oiled it up, it seems to be running fine. Here's to hoping that it'll keep doing so, lol.

Screwloose, ivanhoe, imacman and 2 others like this.
  2. heat seeker

heat seeker

Have you blown out the windings? Dust collects in there and blocks the cooling airflow.

3. Mr Brick

Mr Brick

I pulled the motor off of the shroud, and vaccumed it from both sides, I'm hoping that'll be enough.

Screwloose, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  4. imacman

imacman

Vacuuming is good, but compressed air will do a better job if you have access to it. If you do, re-oil the bearing again afterwards.

5. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

start looking for a new blower

Screwloose, imacman, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  6. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Agree, you bought some time but it won't last long. Maybe the rest of this season if you're lucky. Pick up a spare to have on hand. Search Dayton 2C647. This is the one I used to replace the original blower on my P68 a few years back. Should be able to pick one up for $75 or so.

Screwloose, imacman, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr Brick

Mr Brick

Bummer. I should probably have spares of stuff on hand anyway, I just hate spending the money without "needing" to, even though I know it'll save money later.

8. bogieb

bogieb

I'm the same way. But you know that thing is going to go at the least opportune moment, like Thanksgiving or Christmas week, right? And, it will be the coldest TG or Christmas on record.

Screwloose, Mr Brick, imacman and 5 others like this.
  9. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

....and the local guy wont have one, and Amazon is a couple days out

imacman, Screwloose, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  10. GHinNH

GHinNH

Do what you want, but as long as the windings are not shorted they last should indefinitely with some work and regular maintenance.

I have found most have plastic spacers to keep the armature in centered, and between heat and the armature pulling it sideways in one direction, the spacer gets deformed and shortens, causing other points to drag, increasing friction and heat. Thin #10 SS washers from the hardware store work great to re-shim it centered and won't melt. It's just a matter of mix and match with the original shims to find the right combination.

Replacement ball bearings and bronze bushings are easily found any number of places and I keep a supply on hand for the unexpected "emergency".

I also scour the metal pile at the dump and have come home with a brand new hard to find exhaust blower housing for the main stove, and auger gearbox that works with both.

imacman, bogieb, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr Brick

Mr Brick

I went ahead and replaced it, keeping the old one as a backup, but I might crack it open and see if I can touch it up. Replacing that and the combustion motor has decreased the noise SO MUCH. I picked it up used, so I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be that noisy, lol.

12. GHinNH

GHinNH

After reading my post, I realized it might seem I was singling someone/you out and I assure you that was not my intent. I meant it more of a plural as in you(guys).

Good news you have it sorted out, and finding a deal on a used one!

imacman, bogieb, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.