In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. chris

chris

10mm possible a different sourced part in later trucks. 236xxx miles on my 6.0 than part is still oem

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Admittedly, I am viewing this through my own lens only. But, even though my "luxury" sedan (2011 BMW 335i X-Drive 6MT MSport) gets craptacular mileage around town, about the same as the wife's minivan... :rofl: :lol: and not certainly good enough to have any significant economic impact, my pickup sits in the driveway 95% of the time. I think my wife might drive it as much as I do these days. o_O

A pickup is never going to handle as well as the sedan in traffic, and certainly never to going to have the parking lot manners of most sedans. That may not matter out in the country, but my circumstances changed, and Greenville has a lot of infrastructure that was designed and constructed when it was roughly half the population that's here now. My pickup is also a GMT900, which is fairly well-known for being a bit underwhelming thanks to bankruptcy-era cost-cutting by GM. Despite that, the MSRP on my pickup wasn't to awful far off from the sedan. And the sedan is two years older but of similar "design age" to the pickup, makes more HP/TQ (yeah, it scoots :cool:), and is aging waaaay better.

3. MasterMech

I'm right there with you on freedom of choice. :thumbs: But I have to laugh as the trend continues toward pickups that are optioned like high-spec Mercedes, with similar price tags, and have to be spec'd with all kinds of off-road or high-performance packages (sometimes both!) just be daily driven to the office and loaded up for occasional vacation. Kinda reminds me of this guy, if only he had added a (5.5ft) bed! :rofl: :lol:

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Lol.

amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ha. My BIL bought a gmc with the high-tech tailgate....with a stereo built into the step thingy...
    You friggin kiddin me..! :picard:

amateur cutter, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  6. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

TurboDiesel been a while since talked shop.... i moved onto a newer for a few years ago. 2018 F250 CrewCab long bed 4wd 6.7..... I LOVE THIS TRUCK. Deleted and tuned, eaton locker, mpd piping kit, BD trans.......

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Nice. That 6.7 is a pretty good engine.

I upgraded to a 2007.5. Deleted. I love the exhaust brake. And the power is crazy. Hoping to upgrade the tranny this winter.

8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

It has more power than i can ever use... the mileage is around 16, mixed city and highway while not towing

amateur cutter, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  9. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

The bd warranty cant be beat.....

10. fuelrod

fuelrod

Apparently in GM's thinking, that's "professional grade". :rofl: :lol:

Stephiedoll, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah, maybe for metrosexual contractors! :whistle: ;) :rofl: :lol:

12. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Nah, people that use these trucks as trucks dont buy that gmc denali trim package. That denali is a yuppie camper puller/tailgating toy.

Horkn, brenndatomu and Sandhillbilly like this.
  13. MasterMech

We wouldn't need step tailgates if load height was a primary design criteria...... :headbang::picard:

I'd be good with the prices if they were built to the same level of quality. But air suspensions are still pretty rare, even at $60k, and we are only now starting to see adaptive dampers in things like the AT4x and Colorado/Canyon ZR2 packages. Let alone full hydraulic suspensions or even (gasp! :eek:) independent rear suspensions. IRS makes a lot of sense for the SUVs and Mall-Crawlers and could certainly be durable enough for half-ton pickups. Especially at the $70-80+k price points. These are things that were in $100,000 sedans TWENTY YEARS AGO. Even adjusted for inflation, it doesn't seem unreasonable that such things could brought to market at current price points. Don't even get me started on the rust, even the worst of those sedans/wagons don't have anywhere near the cosmetic issues of trucks built in the last 10-20 years. You can pretty much count every GMT800 sold into the rust belt as an LS Engine Donor at this point. :rofl: :lol:

We just seem to be forking over 20, 30, even 40k+ over base MSRP for louder/more speakers, red/blue/purple thread in the stitching instead of black/gray/tan, infotainment systems that are less capable than a $500 tablet, ..... :doh: As consumers, we are getting ripped off, and we should be pizzed off. Manufacturers certainly looked at what people were doing to trucks with aftermarket parts and conversions. And that's not a bad thing. But what you used to do with a volume production 4x4 half-ton (Roughly $30k) and $10,000 in modifications, is now a $60k+ vehicle. Say WHUT?! I must have fallen asleep in economics 101/the economy of scale discussion. And these aren't even special edition or limited production vehicles. :loco: :crazy:

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And it won't change as long as people keep paying their ridiculous prices...

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Bingo!

fuelrod, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  16. MasterMech

But people LIKE and ACCEPT that they must trade in their vehicles every 5-7 years. Regardless of what it means for their personal finance situation, it's just an accepted fact that as soon as the bumper to bumper warranty is up and that vehicle might generate an "unexpected" repair bill, it's time to get rid of it. It's just easier. Less headache, and who wants to get stuck , blah blah blah... We've all heard the reasons. My wife's minivan is due for it's major service. 2013 Honda Odyssey, 105k on the clock. Timing Belt, Water Pump, Belt Tensioner, Valve Adjustment (not as simple as your dad/gramps/uncles Chevy 350 for sure), Spark Plugs, it's likely ready for shocks and struts (originals up front), and I may need to replace the rear brake calipers. I'm paying a local shop with a 5-star reputation to do the work (painful for me as I have trust issues with mech work but I just don't have the time) and all in all, I'm probably facing about $4k in 'maintenance' work/parts. Anybody I've discussed it with thinks I'm crazy putting all this work into my baby-hauler but my wife and I agree that keeping the current van makes a lot more sense than updating to a newer van that will likely need the same work in 2-3 years. To date, this van has asked us for *nothing* beyond tires, brakes, oil/filters, and a battery. Rear shocks were replaced for unknown reasons when we bought it at 33k miles. I'm going to spend the $4k, go another 7+ years/100k and we'll get her something shiny when the kids are in/graduating from high school and less prone to beating the crap out of everything. By then, all three of our vehicles will be 15-17 years old. :BrianK:

17. lukem

lukem

There's some truth there. My co-workers legit panic / have flashes of horror when I tell them my F150 is coming up on 13 years old and has 160K on the clock and is still my daily. What if it breaks? WTF is wrong with you? Why are you so cheap?

What if it breaks? The truth is this truck has never once left me stranded...for other people it might have though. I blew one fuse for the fuel pump that I had to walk 1/2 mile and back to auto parts store to fix, and had to get one jump start. Everything else has been maintenance on my schedule. I know about every mile its been driven, every part replaced, every drop of fluid that's ever been added. I have no reservations driving it anywhere, no matter how far.

WTF is wrong with you, why are you so cheap? I've got plenty of things wrong with me, but this truck isn't one of them. I could have a new truck if I wanted one...but I don't....maybe that's weird. I am cheap though...I'll own that one.

18. chris

chris

up here in the rust belt not much choice after 7-10 years- bodies fall off chassis if it even has one( unibody). gave up on my 06 3/4t rust was most of the issue front shock towers rotted through plus the standard rust issues, electronic failures were second, torque converter was third, and i know that i would have had to replace the timing chain system. my 03 has faired better in the rust dept. still got a whole lot of repair money tied up in it, but way cheaper than trying to pay for anything more or less current current ( which the same problems tend to arise). both of my 99s lasted longer than the later ones.

19. MasterMech

:rofl: :lol: :yes:

Haftacut, Horkn, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  20. fuelrod

fuelrod

It's called economic maturity.:thumbs: When you understand the complete looser that a vehicle is for most people's finances, and look at the purchase price not the monthly payments that now run so long that soon you're going to be making payments AND repair bills, your not cheap, just smart. :salute:

Haftacut, Boogeyman, Horkn and 3 others like this.