In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. lukem

lukem

Every new truck that comes out just makes me want to drop a 12V in an old square body even more.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Ford has their own hybrid f150 with 3.5 twin turbo V6. With all the emissions crap on diesels, it makes less and less sense to offer them. Especially when electric motors add so much tq with none of the emissions crap.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

upload_2021-10-13_11-46-38.jpeg upload_2021-10-13_11-46-52.jpeg '72 Fummins :yes:
    [​IMG]

4. lukem

lukem

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Bam!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. lukem

lukem

I'll take it. Send it on over.

7. fuelrod

fuelrod

I had a 79 f350 super cab camper special. Wish I kept it, even with the smogged 351.

8. Chud

Chud

My dad had a fire engine red 76 f250 custom, so you know my favorite year.
    A dumb teenager wrecked it around 86.

9. rdust

rdust

A nice OBS with a 12V sounds wonderful!

Horkn, amateur cutter and brenndatomu like this.
  10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Not a real tough conversion to do. Issue is finding a good solid obs truck that they don't a million dollars for. I've had offers in the 20K range for my '96 & '97 XLT F250's. They're pretty nice & rust free, but I don't know what I'd replace them with.

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

As suspected, nobody cares about Toyota's new toy truck here. Lol

Oh, this reminds me...
    Miss July's coworker's wife decided a year or 2 ago she wanted a truck to haul her kayak and camping equipment, so she bought a Honda Pilot. (In other words she didn't buy a truck...lol) so last week the coworker tells Julie, the honda pilot is registered the same as his f250. A friggun honda registered as a 3/4 ton?!? Wtf?
    Julie says to him, so your telling me that pilot will tow our camper?

What a friggin sham! ....I feel certain it was registered wrong...(heavier than needed)

Same thing happened to my sister when she bought a 1/2 ton dodge (about 15 yrs ago). Salesman told her it needed to be registered as 3/4 because of the weight...
    But it was a std cab short bed truck.

For the record, i don't care for any Japanese cars too much... maybe a Toyota car. ...Trucks?....fugetaboutit!

12. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

That's Easy...$40,000.00

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Maybe ram/fiat will scoop this v8 cummins up for the EcoDiesel. (I cant believe they didn't use in the first place. Guess they thought their own vm motori diesel would wow their customers....not)

Cummins pulled Dodge from the brink of extinction... they should have used the cummins in the half ton like it was originally developed for...dumbazzes!

"Nissan is discontinuing its diesel-powered Titan XD pickup due to low sales. ... Backed by a five-year, 100,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, the 310-horsepower, Cummins V-8 XD delivers 310 hp, 555 lb. -ft. of torque, and a maximum towing capacity of 12,830 pounds.Aug 12, 2019"

I bet EcoDiesel sales would skyrocket if it had the cummins.

XXL, Horkn, brenndatomu and 1 other person like this.
  14. fuelrod

fuelrod

My first real truck was my 2nd vehicle purchase (first was a beat up cj5 with a v8). It was a 76? K30 4x4, then it was fords and my first 7.3 in 88. I ordered all my trucks and after my 94 that I waited for the first factory turbo, (a big let down) I ordered one about every 4 years. The last 3 were srw 4x4 f 350's diesel crew/8' beds. My buddy has my old 97, he's up to about 10 transmissions now god bless him. :headbang:
    Somewhere in there while I was on my last new truck (2001 equipped as above) and ford just did the 3rd transmission (every July) I bought a f450 p/s 4x4 with a MANUAL transmission to tow with.
    Today being mostly retired my daily driver is a '13 Tacoma and the mrs 3/4 4×4 suburban rusted out is in a Toyota 4 runner.
    My old trusty 99 F450 is still in the shed and ready to roll when I need a "truck", but I've gotten very fond of my little taco. With a set of racks on it, it does 99% of what I need it to do these days.
    It was a big adjustment going from a 8' bed crew cab to the little Tacoma, but they do have their place and I expect it to last a long time.
    Years ago, back when the body style changed in 97, I was tempted to buy a long bed regular cab F350 p/s 4x4 and just put it in the barn (Sunday driver). I still think that's the last "classically" styled pickup and sure regret not doing it now.

TurboDiesel, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

How about a square-body swapped Sherman? :jaw::rofl: :lol:

Or perhaps an OBS F-Tree Fiddy with a schoolbus Cat 3126 and an Allison? (I'll see your Cummins and raise you a Cat ..... :whistle:)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYbEYVyB_NH-XaEnimLjkKYlONp8W0BHY

TurboDiesel, eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

I like Toyotas, even their trucks. I looked at tundras when I was looking for my half ton. Oddly enough, one reason I didn't go the tundra route was that the 5.7 V8 sucks gas. This new tundra, I'm not sold on the looks yet. It's looks are growing on me though. With new tech/ models I tend to wait and see how well they do/ reliability etc.

Our V8 4runner is an awesome suv, one of the few with a real frame. Sadly, yota won't ever make a new V8 4runner again.

We'll see what options are when I need to replace my f150, but that's going to be quite a few years. I won't rule out Toyota, as they make great reliable vehicles.

Regarding the pilot your wife's coworker has, did they mean Ridgeline? Regardless, the Ridgeline ( quasi truck), and pilot are based on the Odyssey minivan chassis. There's zero chance in hell that any of those vehicles could even attempt to tow what a 3/4 ton truck can. Maybe there's a bunch of idiots at the DMV?

Canadian border VT likes this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

I looked at that diesel titan. Dealers were more find of them than they deserved to be. Gee, wonder if that has anything to do with the regular titans horrendous sales figures? So, put a popular brand of diesel in an unpopular truck, and it doesn't sell? Add in dealers that wouldn't budge on pricing? Hard pass.

TurboDiesel and brenndatomu like this.
  18. MasterMech

I say it should have been a hot-vee or an in-line design. At least a purpose-built engine for the trucks, not that I'm surprised by a Japanese automaker using one powerplant to rule them all... Conventional Twin-Turbo V6's (and V8/10/12's for that matter) come with a butt-load of plumbing and access issues compared to alternatives when the engine is mounted longitudinally. A larger single-turbo twin-scroll design would have been interesting from a manufacturing standpoint as the packaging would be cleaner and component count would be much lower with a hot-vee or in-line design. Not that I have a lack of confidence in Toyota's ability to do a reliable twin-snail V6 but just the very nature of two, small, high-winding turbos vs one....

This looks like it'll be just another half-ton luxury pickup that hauls from stoplight to stoplight better than it does firewood or anything else in the bed. And/Or a 6000lb luxury highway cruiser that does the same job a luxury sedan/wagon would do while managing to handle far worse and cost plenty more per mile driven. Not that it's a primary consideration for pickups but the projected fuel economy numbers are pretty disappointing as well considering the level of tech and the forgoing of any large displacement V8's. Good thing the EcoBoost engines have already conditioned us pretty well to what the real-world fuel economy numbers would be compared to a NA V8 of similar capability.

19. MasterMech

I'm seeing a few of the 3.0L Duramax trucks pop-up around here still. Jury is still out on that engine and it's long-term livability for maintenance costs. But in a new GMC, so nice...

TurboDiesel likes this.
  20. MasterMech

Unfortunately, the focus has certainly shifted to tech in what was arguably the lowest tech vehicle class for many decades. We've shifted from using pickups for local utilitarian tasks to using them as a primary daily commuter and for long, often unloaded, highway trips. How many pickups are sold to pull a camper/boat a half-dozen times a year but get driven to work (at the office) every day, unladen, and much of that time idling in traffic or the Chick-Fil-A drive thru? :whistle: I remember when the pickup was used to do the dirty work, and the nice sedan was parked in the garage to take to the grocery store and church. :BrianK: And I'm not that old! :rofl: :lol:

Horkn, TurboDiesel and brenndatomu like this.