In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I wondered how long it would take the marketing folks to give engineering the green light to brink back HD gas guzzlers. $3.00 vs $1.89, Diesel power train is a $10k option (give or take), and you need a degree in controls engineering to work on the 2008+ oil burners.

And now we wait to see what the numbers are, and if GM/Ram counter.

I agree that the new 7.3L Gaszilla sounds like a winner. Seems built to last too. Cam-in-block makes for a relatively simple valve train without the service complexities of mile-long DOHC timing chain drives complete with cam phasers and tensioners. Check out those cast stainless exhaust manifolds. :yes:

2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm surprised that ford didnt bring back the 460 CID gas engine instead of a 7.3

amateur cutter and brenndatomu like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It would only be a "460" in name only though...because it would have needed some serious upgrade engineering to be worthy of reintroduction in 2019! Would have still been kinda cool though! If not a 460, then a "429", that would be cool too!

amateur cutter likes this.
  4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

No doubt, but going away from OHV in a large V8 would just seem right if it was a 460. Why 7.3? Great engine, but not a gasser!

5. lukem

lukem

They calculated that was how much displacement they needed to hit their target power output wi.

"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark goober," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."

Word police replaced a word above.

6. AJtree88

AJtree88

ICP reads oil pressure, which is turn tells the IPR how much to open its valve to the injectors. IPR’s don’t usually leak, the screen inside gets debris on it or rips, so then it doesn’t work properly. You probably have a high pressure oil leak that only shows up when the truck is warm. If you don’t have an SCT X4 tuner; I’d recommend one. I use it to read a lot of my engine data like ICP, IPR, Oil temp, coolant temp, voltage, MAP (actual reading minus ~14 gives you boost psi) and ficm voltage. You can pinpoint problems a lot easier with it.

7. AJtree88

AJtree88

It really does look like a good option for a truck that will be hauling a lot. My f450’s weigh 10k empty and almost always have a load in the bed, pulling something or both. You definitely need something with torque that will get you moving. The 5.4 and 6.8 do the job, but everyone i’ve driven really worked hard on acceleration with a load behind it. Gotta think the 7.3 will have some more snot.

8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I cant wait to see how they work in my friends wreckers compared to the V10s.

9. chris

chris

Ajtree88- working on getting some green stamps together for a scan/reader unit - wallet a bit depleted from this episode. IPR and ICP replaced , fuel filters changed and separator drained hopefully resolves issue(s). Drove home the 15 miles ok last night from the repair shop,which is barely enough to get it hot. At this point I do not know if the fuel leak is really repaired. Figure to drive truck down to shop Fri. ( 50 miles) , clean up floor in shop, park truck inside and see what shows up. Likely need to do a bit of de-greasing underside of truck as well to get a better track if leaks is still around. Temps are going to drop again so that little project will have to wait.

10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

They took stoich and calculated what cubic inch did the engine need to be deliver the power they wanted and the efficiency.

Edit: I see lukem already said that.

11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Have you been in a 6.2? I rode in a '18 6.2 F-250. It was a turd. It seriously went up a hill by house about like a 5.4.

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

No, I haven't been in one yet

amateur cutter and 94BULLITT like this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

This new 7.3 looks a lot like a chevy to me. It has coils mounted on the valve covers. The shape of the cylinder head looks like an LS. The oil pressure switch is mounted on the china rail on the rear like a chevy, just on the opposite side. Straight spark splugs. It looks like it is 60 degree V8 like a chevy. They are bragging about how simple it is, and no DI. I bet after it is out for 5 years and has built a good reputation, they will go DI. I think they are staying away from DI right now to make attractive to fleets.

14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I heard the old ones perform better than the new ones and the the new ones use more gas. Maybe they are doing this to make the new 7.3 look better?

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

This is what most people are running for monitoring. Insight CTS2 | Edge

You can add a pyro and back up camera to it.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, I can tell you this much, my 2011 F250 6.2 with tool laden service body still runs like a raped ape! Fuel mileage is crap, but it sees mostly city driving, and plenty of time idling.

94BULLITT, Redfin and amateur cutter like this.
  17. ironpony

ironpony

Ummmmmmm...........this is the diesel thread if you want to talk about gassers start a new thread..........:emb:

right turbodiesel ?

TurboDiesel and amateur cutter like this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:fart:
    :D

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

there's plenty of room for an all gasser thread of its own, but if its a direct comparison to diesel, some gas discussion is good.
    as far as torque wars go, diesels will always win.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yep, more compression = more torque...and a compression ignition engine will always win that battle.
    Although Mazda does have a CI gas engine now...

amateur cutter and 94BULLITT like this.