In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

There are light duty trucks and there are Heavy Duty trucks. The top performers are diesel when it comes to towing.
    I've been a diesel pickup truck fan since the late 80's. These modern disels are nothing short of amazing! I cant wait to see what gets unveiled at the Auto Show starting Monday!

What do you think is coming?
    Let's talk turbo diesels:dex:

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

No doubt the 6.0's were capable....
    with some serious mods.
    and some real head studs...

3. Rope

Rope

Deleted, ome cooler, blue spring kit, ome injectors (8), ome hpop, php fcim tunes, php ecm tunes, stage 2 88mm Garrett turbo, arp studs, up pipes, rebuilt fuel rails.

4. fox9988

fox9988

I stick with the standard of the industry- cast iron inline 6 cylinder.
    Its what comes in every (almost every?) commercial truck designed to haul/pull a heavy load for a living.
    ETA: I'm almost up to 250K miles, lots of them grossing 15k lbs +
    Never been deeper than the starter into the engine. I expect another 250K miles.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Creekin

Creekin

I am amazed at pulling power of these new generation diesels! I'm not really a diesel guy but like driving them! Definitely not a fan of the 6.0l, that was a big pain with all the issues compared to the 7.3l $$ wise

6. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Oh that 7.3 had her issues alright. You just didn’t know which one it was going to be and they didn’t cost $10k to fix!

7. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

You nailed that one!!! The Cummins is by far the best engine. The Dodge transmissions are junk. As far as a “truck” the Ford is probably best minus the engine. The Allison tranny is the boss for pulling and longevity. I wish I could get a conglomeration of all 3. No matter the new fuel injection systems are so complicated I don’t want one. What they do is amazing but they are a patch on top of a patch. I am sure they will eventually be perfected but they are all causing a lot of problems. Not trying to start a big 3 war but I have been close to all of them. For what the new ones cost they should be flawless!

8. Creekin

Creekin

Friends of mine (2 brothers) that i was working at yesterday, one gas a 7.3l with just under 900k, his brother has a duramax just under 700k both fairly trouble free, a friend of their's is changing a cummins in one part of the shop about 300k
    Not implying anything at all lol!!

My dad had a 79 gmc with the 5.7 diesel, WHEN it worked got really good mileage but was a turd most of the time, try starting one of those at -35

Woodsnwoods, VOLKEVIN, Maina and 5 others like this.
  9. Creekin

Creekin

I tell customers that I don't like the Cummins, just everything that surrounds it, lol!

10. boettg33

boettg33

I find it interesting that Ford owns Cummings, but stuck with the Powerstroke. Leaving Cummings to be farmed out to Dodge (FIAT).

My dad loved his 89 Dodge 250 Cummings Turbo Diesel. That truck had over 300k miles on it, and the motor was still going strong. The body not so much. He still swears that Dodge ruined the Cummings when they went to the 24V and then kept going up and up with it. He felt that the 89 model offered everything you needed and more. He towed a 27' Airstream cross country with that truck twice. We loaded it with 2+ tons of material, and you'd barely know it from the motor.

The only other truck I have had to compare it to was my 1999 Dodge Dakota extra cab sport 4X2 with the 5.2L V8 5SPD. Loved that truck, and that 318 had nuts. No problem towing my dad's Airstream. Plus tons of balls at 20mpg.

Now I am looking to get my first full size truck at the age of 48. Which probably will not happen until next year. I drive a diesel VW Jetta. At first I was looking at the F150 with the ECOBoost 3.5 twin turbo. Though I was considering spending the extra to go for an F250 to get the Powerstroke. Recently I discovered the smaller block Powerstroke available in the F150. This will most likely be the direction I go in. Time will tell. Since I'll most likely not make a purchase until next year, I'll have time to see how the smaller Powerstroke fairs compared to the ECOBoost motors.

Jason from RI

Woodsnwoods, Maina, leoht and 6 others like this.
  11. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Good post. I also have a Jetta diesel with 400k on it. My buddy has been diving it for 4 months while his 6.0 power stroke is in the shop. 4th mechanic and yes 4 months. Of course they are all experts. Nobody can seem to fix it. Fuel system! He has put 5k into it during this mess. We have both been borrowing trucks to haul equipment while this goes on. We may pull the Jetta engine and drop it in the F250...

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

F 350 Chassis, 2nd gen Cummins TD with a 6 speed Allison behind it. Can be done with well built aftermarket adapters & parts for about 25K. Doesn't count the truck itself. Check out Fummins & De Stroked on the web. Shame they can't get it all in one package from the factory.

13. ironpony

ironpony

1) Ford has NEVER owned CUMMINS
    2) there is no G in CUMMINS

14. ironpony

ironpony

Just find a F450 with a CUMMINS in it from the factory......................

Rush Battle, Barcroftb, Ou812 and 3 others like this.
  15. ironpony

ironpony

16. ironpony

ironpony

step one, remove cab from frame
    step two, work on engine...........
    step three, give up, pull engine
    step four, replace with a Cummins

TurboDiesel, Ruedisueli, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

Ford owns, or at least they used to, a 10% stake in Cummins. This was in the 90s...they may have sold it by now.

18. lukem

lukem

That new L5P looks pretty mean.

Brandon Scott and amateur cutter like this.
  19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:picard:
    I find it interesting that after 20 + years that rumor is still around...
    Ford. Does. Not. Own. Any. Part. Of. Cummins!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  20. huskihl

huskihl

They did. It was sold back in the late 90's